PE exam highest grade?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mech_houston

Reaction score
I just checked my PE exam scores for the mechanical- mechanical systems and materials branch. I've got a pretty good grade, but Just out of curiosity, how can I find out whats the highest score on record for this exam is?

any help is really appreciated..

congrads to the fellas that passed the exam, and the best of luck to the ones that didn't.. there is always next time..

I just checked my PE exam scores for the mechanical- mechanical systems and materials branch. I've got a pretty good grade, but Just out of curiosity, how can I find out whats the highest score on record for this exam is?

congrads to the fellas that passed the exam, and the best of luck to the ones that didn't.. there is always next time..
Mech H...Texas is one of the few states that reports grades. That means that the grades for almost 46~47 states in the nation and territories are literally irrelevant.

I would guess that the higest grade is a 100 but who knows. The Cut Score logic is the closest thing to dark magic I have seen.

Congrats on passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mech H...Texas is one of the few states that reports grades. That means that the grades for almost 46~47 states in the nation and territories are literally irrelevant.
I would guess that the higest grade is a 100 but who knows. The Cut Score logic is the closest thing to dark magic I have seen.

Congrats on passing.

well I've got a 95. I'm sure they keep the records somewhere, at the end of the day it doesn't matter really, just was curious - :)

Thanks Dark knight

well I've got a 95. I'm sure they keep the records somewhere, at the end of the day it doesn't matter really, just was curious - :) Thanks Dark knight
If you really want to know call the Texas Board. I am not sure what their reaction is going to be but maybe they will tell you.

Welcome to EB and, if you do not mind,try to stay around and help the next batch of test takers. There is a lot of good info here and lots of good people willing to help others.

well I've got a 95. I'm sure they keep the records somewhere, at the end of the day it doesn't matter really, just was curious - :) Thanks Dark knight
Dude, if it were not for the ethics part of being an engineer, I would be offering you plane tickets and a weekend with my wife for you to take my exam if I do not pass it this time....I miss it a few more times, I might just make that offer. I could throw in my sister too.

Dude, if it were not for the ethics part of being an engineer, I would be offering you plane tickets and a weekend with my wife for you to take my exam if I do not pass it this time....I miss it a few more times, I might just make that offer. I could throw in my sister too.
Does your wife know you are offering her up for a passing grade? Your sister, also?

That's too funny! You're concerned with the ethics of being an engineer but not of a husband... you do have a marriage license to go along with your (hopefully soon to have!) PE license? If only you had to take a marriage test to get married.

But really, I don't know there's any issue of ethics with a sister - it's not like you have contractually agreed to any terms of that relationship. So - I say forget the wife (could get your marriage dissolved) but go with the sister. Or wait, maybe mech_houston's gate swings the other way (not that there's anything wrong with that!) assuming he's a man. Do you have a brother you could prostitute?

[i'm guessing his post was tongue-in-cheek, Jennifer...]

That's too funny! You're concerned with the ethics of being an engineer but not of a husband... you do have a marriage license to go along with your (hopefully soon to have!) PE license? If only you had to take a marriage test to get married.
But really, I don't know there's any issue of ethics with a sister - it's not like you have contractually agreed to any terms of that relationship. So - I say forget the wife (could get your marriage dissolved) but go with the sister. Or wait, maybe mech_houston's gate swings the other way (not that there's anything wrong with that!) assuming he's a man. Do you have a brother you could prostitute?

[i'm guessing his post was tongue-in-cheek, Jennifer...]
LOL... that's funny

May be you could check their website. I remember seeing their top ten scorer few years back, that was for FE exam. You might see your name as the topper.

Congrats..

IMO, the score doesn't and shouldn't matter. The test is set up for minimum competency. It is not a measurement of an engineer. To be a great engineer, you need much much more than what that tests requires. You need to have a good understanding of people, how to interact with clients, how to properly judge or even identify alternative answers to one problem. You need to be efficient at weighing costs to benefits, etc. etc.

I can see how you would want to know how you stack up on the test, but I honestly feel that it doesn't matter. I think the no score policy is best.

On the offering up the wife and sister thing...... I hope Clarke 'logs off' the site when he's done. Imagine that being read over by a surprised wifey? WOW. :D

IMO, the score doesn't and shouldn't matter. The test is set up for minimum competency. It is not a measurement of an engineer. To be a great engineer, you need much much more than what that tests requires. You need to have a good understanding of people, how to interact with clients, how to properly judge or even identify alternative answers to one problem. You need to be efficient at weighing costs to benefits, etc. etc.
I can see how you would want to know how you stack up on the test, but I honestly feel that it doesn't matter. I think the no score policy is best.

On the offering up the wife and sister thing...... I hope Clarke 'logs off' the site when he's done. Imagine that being read over by a surprised wifey? WOW. :D

I totally agree. Book worms are not always good engineers most usually suck in the real world! ALl it means is that you are a really good test taker.

I think the states are going away from the giving score practice to avoid the "mine is bigger than yours" issue.

Wait...sorry...That did not come right...Did it?

Agreed...

its funny how a simple question got spinned off! and ya totally agree, the grade in the tests (specially the ones we have here in the states) don't necessarily reflect the character of a good engineer, they may give an indication, luckily for me, my achievements don't hang on a couple of tests... and that wasn't the intent of my post in the first place, as i said earlier in the post, just curious...

as for the guy who offered the wifey and the sis, looool don't let wifey see the post! hahahaha

its been entertaining reading some of these posts - :)

good luck everyone

I totally agree. Book worms are not always good engineers most usually suck in the real world! ALl it means is that you are a really good test taker.

lol, not a book worm, but ya i see the point, you can't judge though that if u score high in the test you "suck" in real world, I'm not gonna come out and brag about my achievements and patents cause thats inappropriate, just wanted to say that generalizations are usually inaccurate...

I think high test score is a good indication that an engineer is reasonably sharp and puts a good effort in the task. Though i agree with earlier posts that it's not gaurentee that he/she is an excellent engineer.

I took PE Mechancial / Machine Design depth and i was pretty darn sure i got almost all of the questions right. How can i find out? My state said they only recieve Pass or Fail from NCEES.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think high test score is a good indication that an engineer is reasonably sharp, takes his work seriously. I took PE Mechancial / Machine Design depth and i was pretty darn sure i got almost all of the questions right. How can i find out? My state said they only recieve Pass or Fail from NCEES.
There is no way for you to find out, and that is by design for most states.

I think it is perfectly acceptable for someone to feel good about getting a high score on a PE exam. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in performing outstandingly in any of the endeavors you undertake. However, it won't translate into anything of value practically speaking. If you put your PE exam score on your resume, it will most likely invoke far more negative responses from prospective employers than positive responses (because of what it would say about you for listing it).

Back