PAY Cuts!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be worse. I'm still employed, with full bennies. I'm done bitching now. It doesn't do me any good. Don't feel bad complaining. That's why we're here, as I said. Someone always has it worse than you, but it still helps to let it out.

On the upside, you now have time for a new hobby. Scrapbooking perhaps?

Its official, I don't know if this means the economy is improving or what but today I found out we had just had our first defection.

We lost one of our Engineers. I knew he wasn't real happy and we haven't had raises in a while. Someone made him a offer and he tells me it amounted to about a 15% pay increase so he took it.

I didn't hear if Management tried to match offers, I know my boss isn't too pleased, but hey if he was that important, maybe you should evaluate his pay before he gets disgruntled and leaves, but most business people don't look at it that way.

I didn't hear if Management tried to match offers, I know my boss isn't too pleased, but hey if he was that important, maybe you should evaluate his pay before he gets disgruntled and leaves, but most business people don't look at it that way.
Most businesses pay people the minimum amount for the employee to return, but conversely many employees work just hard enough to not get fired...

Most businesses pay people the minimum amount for the employee to return, but conversely many employees work just hard enough to not get fired...
I know there is a serious lack of trust on both sides....

I know I don't want to kill myself everyday at work and get little or zero compensation (or laid off at the first sign of a downturn) and on the other hand the boss doesn't want to give raises to people that are doing the minimum. This is usually why owners/partners work so hard (and well) they have a contract that specifically states what their compensation including bonus will be and what the criteria is.

I think the Company needs to do a better job clearly defining what the performance level that is expected and then compensating people for meeting those goals. That is where this particular Engineer fits in. He did everything asked of him and competently. We will likely be training whomever we hire in his place for quite a while.

Excuse me...
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Just got cut down to 32 hours per week. Amounts to a 20% pay cut.
FLBuff, sorry to hear that.

On my front here we had another 'Happy New Year' mass execution. I am still here, but there aren't a whole lot of people left in my department. Management already gave me the "it's going to be a long year" talk since I no longer have any staffers left to pinch hit for me when I am out.... basically, I am not allowed to be out! Looks like another year of sucking it up and going balls to the wall.

Might want to do it now and beat the rush, chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its official, I don't know if this means the economy is improving or what but today I found out we had just had our first defection.
We lost one of our Engineers. I knew he wasn't real happy and we haven't had raises in a while. Someone made him a offer and he tells me it amounted to about a 15% pay increase so he took it.

My future brother in law did just what you said, I wonder if it was him, LOL

On the upside, you now have time for a new hobby. Scrapbooking perhaps?
No, my new hobby is trying to find a part-time job to help make up the difference.
Just heard that the IT weanie at the firm I used to work at jumped ship. Sounds like they cut everyone down to 32 hours and then I think he said they dropped him to 24 so he had to get a PT job waiting tables at Cracker Barrell. He just went to work for some lawyers' office downtown.

It's hard for me to feel too sorry for him though, he was a huge waste of overhead...used to brag about all the OT he was getting working at least 45 hours a week, but he spent most of his time surfing the web and playing on Twitter.

Back