PAY Cuts!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCcarguy

Reaction score
So.....any of you guys been the recipient of the wonderful new cost saving measure the "Pay CUT"?

I just found out that my NEW salary starting with the NEXT pay period will be 10% less than the last pay period!!!! yippeee!!

let me tell you...that's a big cut!

So.....any of you guys been the recipient of the wonderful new cost saving measure the "Pay CUT"?
I just found out that my NEW salary starting with the NEXT pay period will be 10% less than the last pay period!!!! yippeee!!

bummer. Sorry to here that.

That sucks! I couldn't survive a pay cut. I've already trimmed my bills down as much as possible and am still barely making it.

Yeah, this happened to me about a month ago. Then about 3 weeks ago, our sick leave also got cut. I feel your pain, brotha...

that completely sux. good luck and I hope it's only a temporary measure for a short duration.

sorry to hear that, If something doesnt change I think were all going to see more of it, but If they are going to cut pay I would personally prefer them to do a one day a month furlough or something to even out the less money where your not doing the same job for less... but its a crazy time..

When the economy recovers, you'll have to find work elsewhere to get paid what you were making since I doubt your bosses will up your pay when money starts rolling in again.

Sorry to hear it.

since I doubt your bosses will up your pay when money starts rolling in again.
This is my concern. I am not sure if all the firms need to cut pay or some are just riding the bandwagon and taking advantage. Certainly, it is better to make a little less than losing out on pay and benefits altogether. Eventually, at the end of the 2 year period the change in salary will be in the negative (I am in a similar boat) which under normal conditions would have been X% positive. So it is a double loss. Let's be optimistic and say that the pay is broguth back to the pre-cut time, still there is a loss as there was no raise in the salary and then from that point on your current salary for the purposes of any future incremenets will become what you were making before the reduction.

Supposedly our pay will be brought back to pre-cut levels next month. If not, I will be searching. I have been very loyal to the company, and understanding about this, but if things don't change as they have promised, all is out the window. A timeline:

October: Took PE Exam (3rd try).

December: Recieved passing PE Exam letter.

March: 10% Pay cut. Recieved promotion to Project Engineer.

April: Sick leave capped at 16 hours, no accrual. In other words, you get sick, FU!

Dude... I would need to find a second job!
Did they allow you to reduce the hours worked by 10%?

no....in fact, they're really hammering on us to increase our UT!!! We also were told they were going to hold back another week's pay, which you would get if you leave, so technically it's not another cut, but they did this by stretching out 2 pay periods, which pushes one pay period out until next year, so basically I'll get paid 25 times this year instead of 26.

that makes it really about a 14% pay cut! I'm guessing 4 day work weeks are on the horizon if work doesnt' pick up.

NCcarguy,

Sorry to hear about your situation. If it gets too bad, hop on I-40 and head west for about 350 miles. We're trying to hire 15-20 people over the next couple of months (and we're having trouble finding good people).

No kidding! I went through a year of 10% pay cut (but with one extra day off every two weeks), and let me tell you, it really does make a difference!

Sorry to hear about that, NC. Better than losing a job, but I'd be pissed that they're asking you to work even more hours now.

Chaos, you talking nuclear work? What kind of jobs, qualifications, etc.? Just curious.

We're still good. But my roommate (also an SE) is on a 4 day work week and had their bonus cut to a 50$ Honeybaked Hams card..

Bad Times...

A pay cut right now would screw my saving for a home. It's hard enough to pay off student loans + living as it is.

No kidding! I went through a year of 10% pay cut (but with one extra day off every two weeks), and let me tell you, it really does make a difference!
Sorry to hear about that, NC. Better than losing a job, but I'd be pissed that they're asking you to work even more hours now.

Chaos, you talking nuclear work? What kind of jobs, qualifications, etc.? Just curious.
I'm not sure what the civil/structural outlook is right now in nuclear. Mechanical and electrical engineers are still in short supply. Our fossil work is falling off some right now but the nuke work is still going pretty strong.

I'm not sure what the civil/structural outlook is right now in nuclear. Mechanical and electrical engineers are still in short supply. Our fossil work is falling off some right now but the nuke work is still going pretty strong.
I just got an email from a power plant (fossil) shift supervisor that we regulate telling me he was being laid off and actively seeking work. Last month I got an email saying the same thing from the regulatory rep from the same company. I thought these guys were immune. Things have to be tough when you're trying to network with your regulators.

No kidding! I've been so hard up lately that I've been talking with my regulator. He's a real "pro" from the State government, if you know what I'm saying.

I'm not looking for any work from him though; I am just looking for him to ease up a little bit.

I just got an email from a power plant (fossil) shift supervisor that we regulate telling me he was being laid off and actively seeking work. Last month I got an email saying the same thing from the regulatory rep from the same company. I thought these guys were immune. Things have to be tough when you're trying to network with your regulators.
We're still going fairly strong here, but we've always been understaffed and now it seems everyone wants to leave this state. . .

I took a "voluntary" 10% pay cut (but still had to work the full 40hrs) in February... less than 3 weeks later I got laid off... still looking for work

Back