Passed the PE exam in CA, can I get comity with other states without passing the Seismic/Surveying exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Kotalik

East Bay
Reaction score
Is it possible to apply for comity to other states after passing the PE exam in California without taking the seismic/surveying exams (which are necessary for CA PE licensure)?

Thanks!

Is it possible to apply for comity to other states after passing the PE exam in California without taking the seismic/surveying exams (which are necessary for CA PE licensure)?

Thanks!
You can get licensed in other states (as long as you satisfy their eligibility requirements) based on your passed PE exam. It will not be by comity for the 1st state you apply to as you are not a registered PE in any state. It will be licensure by exam. Once you get licensed in one state then you can apply via comity to the rest.

Like the person above said, it wouldn't be comity, it would just be applying for licensure for the first time. Where you took the exam doesn't really matter as far as I know (its the same exam no matter which state you take it in). Some states may have an issue with WHEN you took the exam though.

Texas for instance wants you have an approved application before taking the PE exam. Although they might make an exception if you explain to them that you were planning to get your license in CA but had a change of plans. Other states, like Nevada I believe, don't care.

Another question: All of my qualifying experience is from NY state, and I took the PE in CA when I moved here this year. Do you think it is a better idea to apply for a NY State PE, and then apply for comity to CA (after receiving the NY license)? I assume to process would be quicker to obtain the PE license?

Thanks for your help!

Another question: All of my qualifying experience is from NY state, and I took the PE in CA when I moved here this year. Do you think it is a better idea to apply for a NY State PE, and then apply for comity to CA (after receiving the NY license)? I assume to process would be quicker to obtain the PE license?

Thanks for your help!
In CA (and many states) it does not matter which state you gained your experience. So I would recommend just getting the PE in the state you will practice. If you dont need to stamp anything and just want a PE then there are few other states with much relaxed requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for your help!
I will point out that if you plan on ever needing a NY P.E. license, apply to NY and get your NY P.E. license first. The NY Board is notoriously stingy at giving licenses via comity. I don't think you'd have as much trouble getting a license by comity in CA, as long as you meet the appropriate requirements per the CA BPESLG.

If you don't plan on ever getting a NY P.E. license, then if I were you, I'd just apply in CA with the NY experience. As long as you can get your references (who are also licensed P.E.'s) to verify your work experience in NY, you should have no problem getting approved to become licensed in CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
California law requires that civil engineer applicants (new and comity) pass the Engineering Surveying and Seismic Principles exams prior to being issued a license.

In CA (and many states) it does not matter which state you gained your experience. So I would recommend just getting the PE in the state you will practice. If you dont need to stamp anything and just want a PE then there are few other states with much relaxed requirements.
I'm pretty sure CA PE requires CA PE references. That was my interpretation when I applied earlier this year, from reading the instructions and talking to coworkers that are licensed. If anyone else has a different experience, or was able to get licensed in CA without solely CA references, then I could've misinterpreted that!

I'm pretty sure CA PE requires CA PE references. That was my interpretation when I applied earlier this year, from reading the instructions and talking to coworkers that are licensed. If anyone else has a different experience, or was able to get licensed in CA without solely CA references, then I could've misinterpreted that!
CA requires the references to be licensed in the jurisdiction where the projects/experience occurred. I'll admit, that point is pretty clear in the instructions on the website.

Back