Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not passed but my boss did bring up my raise (if I pass) at my last review, and it would be in the neighborhood of 10%. As for reimbursement, they reimburse me 100% for grad classes I am taking toward a Structural Certificate and my PE Prep course. In light of that I did not ask for reimbursement of any of my study material, exam fee and other miscellaneous items. I know I do a lot for them and they more than compensate me for it so I do not like treading the line of "greedy". If it was a matter of me not being able to afford those things it might be a different story. I work with some greedy younger kids that ask for every nickel and dime to be reimbursed so I feel like that is a place where I can shine without any extra work. Add in some late nights/early mornings and I shine comparatively and I don't have my license yet. Now I just need to pass. Haha

I got my pay raise and now I get a step increment 2 months later. Not too shabby after years of busting my balls.

Two guys at my company passed the PE and then a week later there was an announcement that they got promoted. There is a 25% difference in our rates between the two positions. How much of a raise they got I'm not sure but it should be substantial.
May I ask what your company's market segment is and your geographical region?

As for me I passed in April. Two months later I was laid off again (third time) and I took a 17 percent pay cut when I found the next job at the firm I started with. Coincidentally according to their numbers my SE, a master's degree, and 5 years of experience, amount to 1000 dollars a year increase in salary from what I started with just out of school. Granted the commercial sector in Georgia is dead right now but I expected a little more than treading water.

As for me I passed in April. Two months later I was laid off again (third time) and I took a 17 percent pay cut when I found the next job at the firm I started with. Coincidentally according to their numbers my SE, a master's degree, and 5 years of experience, amount to 1000 dollars a year increase in salary from what I started with just out of school. Granted the commercial sector in Georgia is dead right now but I expected a little more than treading water.
Been at the same company since I got my Masters in Jan 2008. Got my PE pass letter in Jan 2011. Still at the same (entry level) pay I started at. The entire company has had a pay freeze since the end of 2008. Project wise, the grass isn't greener at other companies if I want to stay in the Northeast, so it's a tight spot....Design tall buildings at $X per year or retail box buildings for $X+1 per year?

The only thing I've got going for me right now is that we've been slammed with work for about 9 months straight, and I get paid straight time for overtime.

Believe me, I'm aware I'm getting screwed. We have reviews coming up in a few weeks and I'll be asking for a min. 40% raise (I wont get overtime any longer).

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain. I am in the same boat. The design/construction industry is just in such a bad shape right now. I have seen many projects where we fully designed the facility, only for the project to go on the shelf since construction funding isn't available. Company revenue projections are based on construction administration fees that we eventually don't get, so we get screwed.

I almost feel that it's not fair for me to be bitter about not getting a raise, since everyone is pretty much hurting right now. But I think your boss should at least give a monetary bonus, or a small token congratulations for passing the PE if a significant raise is not possible at the moment. It is a big accomplishment.

The raise might happen in other company but not yours. :madgo:

@va_gator: Metro Boston construction is hot right now and has been for the past year, especially large-scale residential apartment buildings. Rental units are in super high demand.

Update: I had my review about two weeks ago. They told me that even though we're coming off a pay freeze not everyone is getting a raise.

The good news: I was one of the ones definitely getting a raise and a promotion.

The bad news: they are waiting until December (4th quarter of fiscal year) to begin giving the raises and to discuss the actual specifics of the raise.

As of now, I do not know what my increase in pay will be, just that there will be one and I'm fully aware even raises are negotiable. They did mention that because I've been performing well above their expectations (i.e. PM level) for someone in my current position (staff engineer) that I shouldn't expect my responsibilities to be much different than what they are now.

I'll also mention that within the past year, they have brought back semi-annual bonuses. Things are definitely looking up.

I'll touch back in later with more news.

Passed Civil-Structural: Equates to a 32.2% Raise. Equals a total of $35k extra / yr

I just got a 5% annual raise for merit and cost of living. Since I have 5 years of experience (2 previous job and 3 current job) and the PE now, I asked about getting my next progression promotion and raise instead of having to wait for 5 years experience at current company. If it all goes well, I will gain Senior Engineer and another 10% raise.

Typically, there are no raises specifically for passing the PE. There is a progression promotion and raise at the right time if you pass the PE in your first or second attempt. I think you would still get the promotion and raise if you didn't pass though.

I'm sure many people have already said the same thing on here but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents...

Here's some things that might help you out.

First off, research, there are hundreds of websites out there now Salary.com etc. as well as any number of professional organizations that anually poll thier members' salaries to get an idea of the market conditions.

Secondly demand, you don't have to go directly looking for other jobs to know whether or not your field is in demand. I know that my profession (Fire Protection Engineering) continues to have a high demand despite the rough economy right now because there are so few of us. If you are a civil however things might be a little lighter in terms of demand due to the recession. Your ability to relocate will help in this situation because it removes the employer argument, "yes there is demand but if you stay with us you don't have to move."

The third thing is value, yes you may be doing the same job you were doing before you got your PE, but can the company charge a client more money for your services now because of your certification? (I'm betting most of them can.)

Commonality, (kinda parallels demand) are there other people in the company that can do your job or are you the only one? Even if your a civil, if your the only civil in the company they might be more inclined to pay keep you than to go outside and go after an unknown quantity just to save a few bucks.

Finally there are of course the intangibles, do you have other skills so they can plug you into something else if your field falls slack? What is your relationship with the company? What have your past work habits been like? What is your potential?

I will say though whatever you are looking for don't be an *ss about it...

That's were the research comes into play make sure you KNOW what the economy holds I would never discourage anyone from going out and trying to make the best they can out of thier situation. If you think you can get better from your company. Pursue it...respectfully...but go for it, I honestly think the worst that can happen if you go about it the RIGHT way is they could say, "well, we'd like to give you a raise but we just can't afford it right now." If they become jerks about it themselves maybe you need to reevaluate were you are in life and if they fit into your long term plans, be smart but don't be a doormat either.

One other piece of advice. If you decide to go looking elsewhere in an attempt to leverage your company for more money (and I don't necessarily recommend this but if you do). DON'T BLUFF.... make sure you have a genuine offer and be prepared to take the other job if your going to go down that road and make sure you leave amicably.

Hope this helps...

Passed Civil-Structural: Equates to a 32.2% Raise. Equals a total of $35k extra / yr
Wow!! :beerchug:

Yes, not fully expected, but very appreciative of the raise. It is way more than I personally would have asked for.
I say wow because we have a standard rate for passers where I work. I believe its a little less than a dollar/hr. You are expected to have a PE or a Masters or both.

I have a 10% raise for passing the PE built into the offer letter when I joined my company. It's good because I'm about to fulfill it. On the other hand there are no performance incentives/raises I could see until I get it.

Had a pre-negotiated raise before I took the test - $10k and a $5k bonus. After passing they not only honored it, but bumped the bonus to $7500! Apparently they are afraid I could leave - not as long as they treat me like this!

any update from people who passed PE in October 2011? Lets share what kinda raise you got?

Back