Passed MDM PE Exam 10/18 - How long for License in California?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct27gt

Reaction score
In California, you take your exam, then once you pass you can submit your app and all supporting docs. I submitted my packet 12/14. Got an email 12/24 saying it had been accepted and sent to technical review. Didn't hear anything back, so I sent an email on 2/4 asking for status. Got an email the next day saying my application had received "technical approval" (whatever that is), and my license would be issued in 4-6 weeks IF I passed my exams and met license requirements. Then WTH have they been looking at for the past 5 weeks?

Anybody have experience with how long it takes with this particular process of passing exam then submitting application for licensure? 12-14 weeks to get your license with a passed exam and all documents submitted in one packet sounds ridiculous, but maybe I am just whining too much. Just sucks because I get a large pay raise back paid from the date my license is issued.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got this email today. saying my application is send out for a technical review. not sure if this is a bad thing or good. i got my PE test done as Electrical in CA. 

@wing911  did you hear anything after your application was sent for technical review? I got an email today about my application, not sure what will happen next.

@ct27gt I don't know how long it takes, but I agree with you that it shouldn't be THAT long. I'm getting a little scared for myself. I'm taking the exam in CA in April. If I pass and the same thing happens to me, then I'm sure to get my license by 2021...

@ct27gt I don't know how long it takes, but I agree with you that it shouldn't be THAT long. I'm getting a little scared for myself. I'm taking the exam in CA in April. If I pass and the same thing happens to me, then I'm sure to get my license by 2021...
Obviously holidays caused a little delay, so at least you don't have to worry about that if you pass in April.

So I just looked and apparently my license was issued yesterday. Would have been nice to at least receive an email notification. So about 9 weeks for processing. I hope you April test takers have a better experience.

They love to get your money too. Issue date 2/15/2019, expiration date 6/30/2019. So my license is expired in 4 months.  :brickwall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously holidays caused a little delay, so at least you don't have to worry about that if you pass in April.

So I just looked and apparently my license was issued yesterday. Would have been nice to at least receive an email notification. So about 9 weeks for processing. I hope you April test takers have a better experience.

They love to get your money too. Issue date 2/15/2019, expiration date 6/30/2019. So my license is expired in 4 months.  :brickwall:
Well, that's good news! So now that you officially have your license...CONGRATULATIONS!  :multiplespotting:

Isn't there some clause to where the first renewal period is free or prorated or something? I know I've seen some conversations about it on the board, but too many states and too many regulations make for a hazy memory when it comes time to actually recall the information.  :dunno:

I sure frickin hope so. Expiration in 4 months is a little ridiculous. Just found out it doesn't matter though because my employer reimburses renewal dues.

Back