October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had multiple dreams that I failed...in last weeks version, I dreamt that I retook it without studying much and couldn't remember the most basic of questions, even those that I use a lot of in my day-to-day.  If we can be more efficient working from home, so can these graders!

Hello, can someone suggest to me what is the best group to join for the PE Structure? how you found the October 2020 PE Structure exam is it difficult or simple? I am waiting for the result  but don't want to wait until the end of December and try to reach some good study discussion groupsThanks and good luck
Best group to join? Are you participating on in the Structural sub-forum on this site? That's probably the best place to find a good study/discussion group.
https://engineerboards.com/forum/38-structural/

Every day is torture... 

well at least we have a vague idea that the results won’t be released until December 14th... at the earliest :0

Another two weeks of waiting is major torture.  I had a friend who did the PE Mechanical and got his result in 5 days.

Is there anyone here taking the CBT power exam in Florida? Did the pearson vue sent you an email that your exam is rescheduled or they put you in different testing site?

I hear from other State such as North Carolina that they did this.

hope not in Florida. I’m taking mine on Dec 7 , no emails I got so far. Hope they don’t reschedule mine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anyone here taking the CBT power exam in Florida? Did the pearson vue sent you an email that your exam is rescheduled or they put you in different testing site?

I hear from other State such as North Carolina that they did this.

hope not in Florida. I’m taking mine on Dec 7 , no emails I got so far. Hope they don’t reschedule mine...
That's not good news. I suspect with the increasing amount of COVID-19 cases, some states are now enforcing reduced capacity of many businesses so Pearson might not be able to fill up the testing centers. 

Happy December guys! I think it was a good thing at least to know the result won't be released till December 14th. as we get closer,  I get more anxious! Unfortunately, as COVID cases are increasing, it might impact NCEES's process as well. can't imagine how stressful will be my days after the 14th. probably will have my cellphone on my hand and nonstop refreshing my email account.  😟

Happy December guys! I think it was a good thing at least to know the result won't be released till December 14th. as we get closer,  I get more anxious! Unfortunately, as COVID cases are increasing, it might impact NCEES's process as well. can't imagine how stressful will be my days after the 14th. probably will have my cellphone on my hand and nonstop refreshing my email account.  😟
Not necessarily on Dec 14th right? Just no earlier than Dec 14?

Happy December guys! I think it was a good thing at least to know the result won't be released till December 14th. 
That's how I read it. NET than 3:00PM eastern on Dec 14.

it might impact NCEES's process as well. 
I doubt that COVID issues will delay things even more. They appear to have adapted where they needed to.

See page 4 of: https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/5_Licensure-Exchange_October-2020.pdf 

And front page of https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/6_Licensure-Exchange_December-2020.pdf

As best I know the only in-person part of grading the PPE is processing and running the scantron sheets through a machine, and doing the manual QA audits. My guess is that that was done within a couple weeks of the exam.

I'm not aware of any required in-person meetings this session either - and if there were then they could be online now too (see above links)

can't imagine how stressful will be my days after the 14th.
Not going to sugar coat it: It will be bad. The worst will be the period between when the first state releases and whenever you get your results. Time stands still, and you're nigh-catatonic with stress and indecision. It looks like you're in Florida? They've been releasing on Day 2 for the last few cycles. They've got some internal thing they need to do first before they authorize NCEES to release the results. Again, not trying to stress you out more or give you false hope, but it'll be a hellacious 24+ hours.

probably will have my cellphone on my hand and nonstop refreshing my email account.  😟
200.gif

Yeah, according to NCEES, the result of the October exam won't be released until end of the January exam registration which is December 14th. So, we should expect to have the result anytime after the 14th.

That's how I read it. NET than 3:00PM eastern on Dec 14.

I doubt that COVID issues will delay things even more. They appear to have adapted where they needed to.

See page 4 of: https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/5_Licensure-Exchange_October-2020.pdf 

And front page of https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/6_Licensure-Exchange_December-2020.pdf

As best I know the only in-person part of grading the PPE is processing and running the scantron sheets through a machine, and doing the manual QA audits. My guess is that that was done within a couple weeks of the exam.

I'm not aware of any required in-person meetings this session either - and if there were then they could be online now too (see above links)

Not going to sugar coat it: It will be bad. The worst will be the period between when the first state releases and whenever you get your results. Time stands still, and you're nigh-catatonic with stress and indecision. It looks like you're in Florida? They've been releasing on Day 2 for the last few cycles. They've got some internal thing they need to do first before they authorize NCEES to release the results. Again, not trying to stress you out more or give you false hope, but it'll be a hellacious 24+ hours.

you are absolutely right. and yes, I'm in Florida. our engineering board recently changed the PE exam requirement, so we don't need to have 4 years of experience anymore to be qualify for the exam but still need to gain 4 years of experience for the license.  The October exam was the first round after adopting the new rule, so God knows if that one will speed up the result or not. I'm expecting to have the result asa NCEES releases them but not sure. 🤞

If NCEES is waiting to release results until after Dec. 14 solely to keep us October test takers from registering for the January exam, this is inappropriate and a disservice to the hard working engineers who took this test.  according to the PE release history on this site, NCEES would have typically released our results by this point.  Considering that my, and many other's, April exam was cancelled (no fault of NCEES), it would be prudent to release the October test results as soon as possible.  People's careers and livelihoods rely on these results.  I'm sure there are countless missed career opportunities as people were unable to take the April exam.  Let's not delay any further.   

If NCEES is waiting to release results until after Dec. 14 solely to keep us October test takers from registering for the January exam, this is inappropriate and a disservice to the hard working engineers who took this test.  according to the PE release history on this site, NCEES would have typically released our results by this point.  Considering that my, and many other's, April exam was cancelled (no fault of NCEES), it would be prudent to release the October test results as soon as possible.  People's careers and livelihoods rely on these results.  I'm sure there are countless missed career opportunities as people were unable to take the April exam.  Let's not delay any further.   
strong first post.

i hate this argument, it's so cringey and obnoxious.

and no, based on data from this site, it's still too early to release results for october. based on historical data, we're looking at mid-next week at the earliest. maybe. but that's without a global pandemic. 

strong first post.

i hate this argument, it's so cringey and obnoxious.

and no, based on data from this site, it's still too early to release results for october. based on historical data, we're looking at mid-next week at the earliest. maybe. but that's without a global pandemic. 
Thanks for the reply!

Looking at the October '15, '16, and '17 for my state, the durations between exam and release are 42, 41, and 39, respectively.  Since the October exam was administered on the 22nd, today would be 43 days since the exam.  I'm basing my reasoning on more recent exams as there is a trend towards earlier release times compared to the early 2000's.

The point of this post was that if the tests have been graded, the results should be released if the only reason for not releasing results is to keep October test takers from registering for the January exam.  NCEES could simply state that if you took the October exam, you are ineligible for the January exam.

Thanks for the reply!

Looking at the October '15, '16, and '17 for my state, the durations between exam and release are 42, 41, and 39, respectively.  Since the October exam was administered on the 22nd, today would be 43 days since the exam.  I'm basing my reasoning on more recent exams as there is a trend towards earlier release times compared to the early 2000's.

The point of this post was that if the tests have been graded, the results should be released if the only reason for not releasing results is to keep October test takers from registering for the January exam.  NCEES could simply state that if you took the October exam, you are ineligible for the January exam.
I partially agree. I think you're right and the exams have mostly been graded at this point and they are sitting on them. Without any evidence other than knowing how some of our software works I believe the issue is they use their website as an initial screening for exams. As soon as a result is posted you either passed and you're locked from taking a future exam or you failed and the exam registration is unlocked. Reprogramming that is a big and costly undertaking and tough to justify as the pandemic situation is a one off and not routine. 

It would be nice if they could generate an email form that would fill with your status and an explanation that you can't do anything with that information until the NCEES website updates with your exam status (particularly for states like mine that require applying for your license AFTER passing for the exam). Then at least you'd know. But I'm sure there's a cost involved there as well and in the grand scheme waiting another 11 days is not that big of an obstacle. 

I understand your argument that careers are affected. I have a promotion with a title and potential additional perks pending results of the exam. Even with that in mind 11 days is not that big of an obstacle. Being a multiple attempt test taker I can say the anxiety is worse not knowing the "not before" date. My condolences if your stakes are higher.

That being said, my tone will change if I don't have an e-mail from NCEES at 3:01 EST on the 14th.

I partially agree. I think you're right and the exams have mostly been graded at this point and they are sitting on them. Without any evidence other than knowing how some of our software works I believe the issue is they use their website as an initial screening for exams. As soon as a result is posted you either passed and you're locked from taking a future exam or you failed and the exam registration is unlocked. Reprogramming that is a big and costly undertaking and tough to justify as the pandemic situation is a one off and not routine. 

It would be nice if they could generate an email form that would fill with your status and an explanation that you can't do anything with that information until the NCEES website updates with your exam status (particularly for states like mine that require applying for your license AFTER passing for the exam). Then at least you'd know. But I'm sure there's a cost involved there as well and in the grand scheme waiting another 11 days is not that big of an obstacle. 

I understand your argument that careers are affected. I have a promotion with a title and potential additional perks pending results of the exam. Even with that in mind 11 days is not that big of an obstacle. Being a multiple attempt test taker I can say the anxiety is worse not knowing the "not before" date. My condolences if your stakes are higher.

That being said, my tone will change if I don't have an e-mail from NCEES at 3:01 EST on the 14th.
That last sentence made me laugh.

You know, while you're fretting about not having your results yet, you could pass the time with an activity that is very helpful for mental health and good for stress relief...

SPAMMING!

It has been proven that the more you spam, the more likely you are to pass. 

Back