October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife just sent me this in a text message. Since the text message image preview was cropped to a square, I could only see the middle of the image. My first thought, "Has she been logging into my account and checking, and how does she have my log in credentials?" But, turns out it was just a friend of ours.

image.png

Anyone up for story time?  Awesome, I am telling it anyway.  Your wife is expecting your third child Nov. 10. You setup a plan with NCEES, they are going to allow a proctor to hold your phone in case your wife calls, but only if your wife calls, because she is going into labor and you need to GTFO.  Oct 25 rolls around.  You drive to the exam location an hour away.  You see a co-worker and chat with her for a few minutes before getting settled in.  A proctor comes over and takes your phone.  The morning session starts soon.  You work through it, all is going well.  Morning session is completed.  The lady comes out and gives you your phone. You call your wife, tell her the morning is done and you are getting lunch.  You get lunch and return for the afternoon session.  About 90 minutes in, a guy, approximately 45-50, raises his hand turns in his test and leaves.  "Wow" you think to yourself, that was fast. You continue through the exam.  You have 13 minutes and 2 problems left.  You look at one, 0 chance of solving it given mental drain, you check the other, you can get this.  Guess D for problem 1, and solve problem 2.  About 45 seconds later, time is called.  You did it, it is over, woohoo!  You hope you never need to do this again.

Then the proctor lady comes over and gives you your phone back.  You have 2 text messages, both from your mom.  Message one, "WIFE'S NAME IS BEING INDUCED" -- received 2.5 hours ago.  Message 2 "Oops, that was meant for your dad".  Thoughts start racing through your brain, is this some really awful joke?  Call your wife, not a joke, at the hospital, being induced.  She says go home, grab the go bag and get to hospital.  Arrive at 6:30 pm everything is fine, blood pressure was just high.  8 hours later, baby boy is born, forget all about the exam.  You think about it every once in a while.  Then 12/2 hits.  YOU CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THE RESULTS YOU NEED TO KNOW.

Hopefully we find out today.

Anyone up for story time?  Awesome, I am telling it anyway.  Your wife is expecting your third child Nov. 10. You setup a plan with NCEES, they are going to allow a proctor to hold your phone in case your wife calls, but only if your wife calls, because she is going into labor and you need to GTFO.  Oct 25 rolls around.  You drive to the exam location an hour away.  You see a co-worker and chat with her for a few minutes before getting settled in.  A proctor comes over and takes your phone.  The morning session starts soon.  You work through it, all is going well.  Morning session is completed.  The lady comes out and gives you your phone. You call your wife, tell her the morning is done and you are getting lunch.  You get lunch and return for the afternoon session.  About 90 minutes in, a guy, approximately 45-50, raises his hand turns in his test and leaves.  "Wow" you think to yourself, that was fast. You continue through the exam.  You have 13 minutes and 2 problems left.  You look at one, 0 chance of solving it given mental drain, you check the other, you can get this.  Guess D for problem 1, and solve problem 2.  About 45 seconds later, time is called.  You did it, it is over, woohoo!  You hope you never need to do this again.

Then the proctor lady comes over and gives you your phone back.  You have 2 text messages, both from your mom.  Message one, "WIFE'S NAME IS BEING INDUCED" -- received 2.5 hours ago.  Message 2 "Oops, that was meant for your dad".  Thoughts start racing through your brain, is this some really awful joke?  Call your wife, not a joke, at the hospital, being induced.  She says go home, grab the go bag and get to hospital.  Arrive at 6:30 pm everything is fine, blood pressure was just high.  8 hours later, baby boy is born, forget all about the exam.  You think about it every once in a while.  Then 12/2 hits.  YOU CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THE RESULTS YOU NEED TO KNOW.

Dude, what a wild ride.

Oh shit that sucks, so they didn't come and grab you since it wasn't your wife who called?

Oh shit that sucks, so they didn't come and grab you since it wasn't your wife who called?
They didn't and I am thrilled they didn't.  My wife was upset with my mom for even sending anything, in case the had come to get me.  Our previous labors had been 18-20 hours, so we weren't concerned about it happening right away.  Had they come to say something, there is 0 chance I finish the exam.

Anyone up for story time?  Awesome, I am telling it anyway.  Your wife is expecting your third child Nov. 10. You setup a plan with NCEES, they are going to allow a proctor to hold your phone in case your wife calls, but only if your wife calls, because she is going into labor and you need to GTFO.  Oct 25 rolls around.  You drive to the exam location an hour away.  You see a co-worker and chat with her for a few minutes before getting settled in.  A proctor comes over and takes your phone.  The morning session starts soon.  You work through it, all is going well.  Morning session is completed.  The lady comes out and gives you your phone. You call your wife, tell her the morning is done and you are getting lunch.  You get lunch and return for the afternoon session. ...  You did it, it is over, woohoo!  You hope you never need to do this again.

Lets hope you pass! Then you'll have a healthly new son, two new letters after your name, and a great story to tell for years to come.

I'm inclined to go with this explanation, and not that they just weren't paying attention. It all turned out okay, so no harm no foul?

Good story! Congratulations on the little one. 

I will keep taking this exam if I do not pass it, at least for the thrill of suspension while we are waiting for the result

I blame our instant gratification society. 40 Days isn't really that long.

I blame our instant gratification society. 40 Days isn't really that long.
A registered nurse finds out if they passed before they get out of the chair at the exam site. It's 2019. The technology is available to avoid this lol. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that the rangers at Yellowstone have their own unofficial countdown clock to determine when Old Faithful will erupt. Rather than a traditional clock or timer, they just look at the crowd size around the geyser. If it's relatively empty that means that it will be another hour+ before the next eruption. If it's packed, then it will erupt in the next few minutes.

Here at EB, anecdotally well have 10-20 users on at any time, and maybe 60 guest. Right now, there are 82 Members, 0 Anonymous, 404 Guests. That's usually where we are the day before release. This should be taken with a grain of salt of course. I don't personally think it will happen today, but I have nothing to support that guess. It would seem to me the release probability curve get above non-zero  tomorrow or Friday.

That is an awesome story.  Congrats on the baby and hopefully on the results.  I think you should give him a nickname based on all of this...why not ask EB for suggested nicknames, it might be fun?

A registered nurse finds out if she passed before she gets out of her chair at the exam site. It's 2019. The technology is available to avoid this lol. 
NCEES is transitioning over to CBT. It's not a fast process and it won't be completed until 2023. But even the CBT candidates have to wait until the Wednesday of the following week for their results.

A registered nurse finds out if she passed before she gets out of her chair at the exam site. It's 2019. The technology is available to avoid this lol. 
People don't find out they're in the clear of a miscarriage until after the first trimester. Even then it's not 100%. That's a harder wait and technology can't let us know sooner. So my point is, if this sort of wait is actually difficult for people, I feel bad for them; there are a lot worse things to wait for in life. That's why I was wondering if people are really freaking out about the exam results or if it's just talk.

People don't find out they're in the clear of a miscarriage until after the first trimester. Even then it's not 100%. That's a harder wait and technology can't let us know sooner. So my point is, if this sort of wait is actually difficult for people, I feel bad for them; there are a lot worse things to wait for in life. That's why I was wondering if people are really freaking out about the exam results or if it's just talk.
Good reality check.  Thanks.

And I'm under the assumption most people taking the exam are 25yo+. I'm just thinking by now people should be able to handle the wait without actually loosing their mind.

But now that I think about it, my wife stressed out over waiting for exams to be graded in college... I could only imagine what she would be like if she decided to take the PE exam. Yeah, now that I'm talking it through I can imagine people flipping out about it. I think that's something good about our relationship, we help balance each other out.

And I'm under the assumption most people taking the exam are 25yo+. I'm just thinking by now people should be able to handle the wait without actually loosing their mind.

But now that I think about it, my wife stressed out over waiting for exams to be graded in college... I could only imagine what she would be like if she decided to take the PE exam.

Yeah, now that I'm talking it through I can imagine people flipping out about it. I think that's something good about our relationship, we help balance each other out.
As a 31 year old who is awaiting his test results for the 3rd time...I must say that my flipping out is thoroughly justified.

Back