October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no @RBHeadge PE, but I've been known to channel him every now and then. We'll (probably) know more certainly in the first couple business days of December, when NCEES releases their bi-monthly circular, Licensure Exchange
giphy.gif

We know that if one pass the exam, that's the only thing they report, PASS.

If someone wants his (her) passing score, Is it possible?
No. NCEES will only report PASS. Texas gives everyone, pass or fail, a score, but no-one knows how they derive it or how to actually trace that back to the number of questions answered correctly. 

Link?

This is the first I've heard that a svaled score of 70% is required for both the AM and PM sections. I'm not sure how that works for the majority of exams which aren't separated by AM and PM breadth/depth exams. Nor would how i know how that would work for CBT exams which don't have fornal AM and PM sections. 

NCEES bases the pass/fail on the score of the entire exam, and not a threshold for each section.

I've never heard of someone passing a test in one state and getting rejected for comity for an insufficient score in the receiving state. The whole convolutent scoring system is meant to avoid differing criteria.

Finally, Texas uses an unknown formula to scale the NCEES score to a Texas score where 70% is the minimum to pass. Whatever they do, its probably not a simple mx+b linear fit.
Texas PE Requirements:
https://engineers.texas.gov/downloads/lawrules.pdf

Section 133.73 (b) and (c):
(b) For those exams or exam components with numerical scores, the passing score is 70.
(c) An examinee taking the principles and practice exam for structural engineering must receive acceptable results for each component to pass the exam.

(c) An examinee taking the principles and practice exam for structural engineering must receive acceptable results for each component to pass the exam.
That refers to the SE exam. It has different rules for passing than the PE. I'm not a structural engineer so I'm not too familiar with its special criteria.
I'm not structural, either, but I'm familiar enough with the exam to clarify.

The SE is a 16-hour exam that's broken up into two, 8-hour components: one for vertical forces and one for lateral forces.  (Each component is also broken up into a morning and afternoon session, just like the PE.) If you took a pencil and paper PE Exam anytime recently, you almost certainly shared the room with one or more candidates taking the vertical component of the SE Exam. The lateral component is typically administered on the Saturday right after P&P PE Exam administration.

So, in Texas, you apparently have to score a "70%" on both the vertical and lateral components of the SE Exam. However, the PE isn't split into components, so you only need a "70%" total score to pass.

So, in Texas, you apparently have to score a "70%" on both the vertical and lateral components of the SE Exam. However, the PE isn't split into components, so you only need a "70%" total score to pass.
Very good information. Considering this 70% requirement for PE licensing in Texas, this would become an inherited requirement for any PE wishing to transfer their non-Texas PE into Texas domain. Would that not imply the top-secret black-box weighted minimum pass score is indeed 70% nationally? Otherwise, you may receive your PE in a non-Texas state with a score < 70% and never be allowed to transfer your license into Texas once their board inquires NCEES about your score.

Very good information. Considering this 70% requirement for PE licensing in Texas, this would become an inherited requirement for any PE wishing to transfer their non-Texas PE into Texas domain. Would that not imply the top-secret black-box weighted minimum pass score is indeed 70% nationally? Otherwise, you may receive your PE in a non-Texas state with a score < 70% and never be allowed to transfer your license into Texas once their board inquires NCEES about your score.
No, this is why I put the "70%" in quotation marks. The raw cut score may be anywhere from about 51 to 58, roughly speaking, which gives you a range of roughly 64 to 73 percent. If the cut score established by NCEES is anywhere other than 56/80 = 70%, Texas will set that cut score equal to a scaled score of "70%". No one really knows what other black magic goes into the Texas scaled scores beyond that, but it's probably neither linear nor particularly straightforward. 

So, anyone who has passed the PE Exam, by default, has a Texas scaled score of "70%" or higher.

Scores usually start coming out first or second week after Thanksgiving. I would say Dec 9-10 is when we start hearing about results.

Scores usually start coming out first or second week after Thanksgiving. I would say Dec 9-10 is when we start hearing about results.
I'd probably say closer to the end of that week, strongly dependent on when the control systems cut score meeting is. You may not be too far off.

STAY ON THE SIDE OF CALM AND SANITY WITH ME @Will.I.Am!!! Don't succumb to Futile Exercise C! 
Haha, I succumbed to Futile Exercise C about a week before the exam, when my exam prep had plateaued.  :D

Honestly, I'm having fun with it, though. I know that results may or may not come when I'm expecting them to, and I'm fine with that.

Back