October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a dream last night that I logged onto the NCEES website and saw something along the lines of "you have been selected to receive your early results..." I woke up before I could click on it to see if I passed or failed. Then I checked the website this morning to see if it was true  :(
It has invaded our dreams...

I suppose we should be about halfway there by now!
Maybe almost halfway there!

I had a dream last night that I logged onto the NCEES website and saw something along the lines of "you have been selected to receive your early results..." I woke up before I could click on it to see if I passed or failed. Then I checked the website this morning to see if it was true  :(

It has invaded our dreams...
I keep forgetting to add the part to Phase 4 where the exam results start invading your dreams. FWIW, the dreams last for years, even after you pass.

My PMs are already making plans for me to be the PE on some future projects as though I already passed. I've been trying to tell them that I don't know if I passed and that I'm not even confident that I did pass. 

I mean the vote of confidence is great but it's going to make it hard on me if I have to explain that I didn't make it. 

My PMs are already making plans for me to be the PE on some future projects as though I already passed. I've been trying to tell them that I don't know if I passed and that I'm not even confident that I did pass. 

I mean the vote of confidence is great but it's going to make it hard on me if I have to explain that I didn't make it. 
This is part of why I limited who knew at work. I didn't feel like going through those conversations again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Same... my boss is scheduling his retirement. I keep telling him to give me 2 more years... just 2 more years...just in case.

Can anyone elaborate on the Texas 70% passing score? I read somewhere that the Texas Board of Engineers requires a minimum grade of 70% to acquire the PE license. Found a link to a pretty formal board document confirming that very verbiage and further, that 70% is required for each the morning and afternoon session, not an average of 70% between them (ex. 60% morning + 80% afternoon = fail + pass = total fail). Would this 70% be the unweighted raw score? Or would it be the weighted score?

Also, the minimum requirements for licensure in Texas must be met if applying for interchangeability of your current PE into Texas. To me, this means you would essentially need a 70% (raw or weighted) to transfer your license into Texas. If so, wouldn't that just about require a 70% be the standard cut score?

Not sure what post-test phase I'm in, but the release date can't come soon enough...

Can anyone elaborate on the Texas 70% passing score? I read somewhere that the Texas Board of Engineers requires a minimum grade of 70% to acquire the PE license. Found a link to a pretty formal board document confirming that very verbiage and further, that 70% is required for each the morning and afternoon session, not an average of 70% between them (ex. 60% morning + 80% afternoon = fail + pass = total fail). Would this 70% be the unweighted raw score? Or would it be the weighted score?

Also, the minimum requirements for licensure in Texas must be met if applying for interchangeability of your current PE into Texas. To me, this means you would essentially need a 70% (raw or weighted) to transfer your license into Texas. If so, wouldn't that just about require a 70% be the standard cut score?

Not sure what post-test phase I'm in, but the release date can't come soon enough...
I believe this link should help clear things up.  There is a post in there that somewhat explains how they establish the 70% weighted cut score...hope this helps!

Link?

This is the first I've heard that a svaled score of 70% is required for both the AM and PM sections. I'm not sure how that works for the majority of exams which aren't separated by AM and PM breadth/depth exams. Nor would how i know how that would work for CBT exams which don't have fornal AM and PM sections. 

NCEES bases the pass/fail on the score of the entire exam, and not a threshold for each section.

I've never heard of someone passing a test in one state and getting rejected for comity for an insufficient score in the receiving state. The whole convolutent scoring system is meant to avoid differing criteria.

Finally, Texas uses an unknown formula to scale the NCEES score to a Texas score where 70% is the minimum to pass. Whatever they do, its probably not a simple mx+b linear fit.

We know that if one pass the exam, that's the only thing they report, PASS.

If someone wants his (her) passing score, Is it possible?

Who has a good "felt like I failed then passed" story? TFS beat me up pretty bad despite getting >90% on the NCEES practice exam.🤔

I am hoping the results will be out in 2 weeks time, although I know that the Control Systems has new specifications and a meeting must be held to determine cut score #hopeful #doubt.

Has there been a December schedule released yet to show when that meeting will be held by chance?

I am not sure, but maybe @RBHeadge PE may know.
I'm no @RBHeadge PE, but I've been known to channel him every now and then. We'll (probably) know more certainly in the first couple business days of December, when NCEES releases their bi-monthly circular, Licensure Exchange. Based on past years, there's a decent chance that the cut score meeting is closer to the end of the first week of December, though it could be at just about anytime.

Back