October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in consulting as well. It is not "required" for advancement within most consulting firms, but strongly desired. All of our associate principles and principles at my firm, except one, have at PE license. So while not required, it is essentially necessary. 

I am looking to move up into a more project management role, so a PE is the first step toward that goal.
I've never worked in consulting. But it's always been interesting to me how many engineers pursue their PE to move into project management. The PE is essentially a design and analysis exam, which is a completely different skill set than project management. It would seem like pursuing a PMP would be what one should do to advance in project management. Getting a PE makes you a technical expert, not a project manager or leader.

Edit: I realize that it's not that people don't understand the difference or that people are make bad career decisions. A huge part of it is management expectations and (to be honest) tradition. But I wonder how many project managers are using their PE knowledge on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never worked in consulting. But it's always been interesting to me how many engineers pursue their PE to move into project management. The PE is essentially a design and analysis exam, which is a completely different skill set than project management. It would seem like pursuing a PMP would be what one should do to advance in project management. Getting a PE makes you a technical expert, not a project manager or leader.

Edit: I realize that it's not that people don't understand the difference or that people are make bad career decisions. A huge part of it is management expectations and (to be honest) tradition. But I wonder how many project managers are using their PE knowledge on a daily basis.
Typically, in private industry, firms require a PE of any Principal or Executive responsible for signing contracts over a certain dollar amount due to legal liability. If I wanted to be a Senior VP overseeing construction projects at the last company I worked for, a PE would have been a requirement. The role itself only requires basic knowledge of construction and design process principals. It required more PM experience and cost management knowledge more than anything. 

I have a PMP and a CCM. These credentials were value much more than a PE. Where I am now, I don't need it to design anything and, aside from putting together site utilization plans when I was fresh out of college 15 years ago, I've never designed anything in my life. I oversee a number of designers, engineers, and billions of dollars in contracts. Therefore, it's required to mitigate liability and risk more than anything. 

Typically, in private industry, firms require a PE of any Principal or Executive responsible for signing contracts over a certain dollar amount due to legal liability. If I wanted to be a Senior VP overseeing construction projects at the last company I worked for, a PE would have been a requirement. The role itself only requires basic knowledge of construction and design process principals. It required more PM experience and cost management knowledge more than anything. 

I have a PMP and a CCM. These credentials were value much more than a PE. Where I am now, I don't need it to design anything and, aside from putting together site utilization plans when I was fresh out of college 15 years ago, I've never designed anything in my life. I oversee a number of designers, engineers, and billions of dollars in contracts. Therefore, it's required to mitigate liability and risk more than anything. 
Thanks for the insight.

Also, PMP, CCM, and now PE. NICE!
I see you shining :)

For us, most of our PMs do have their PEs. Some have PMP as well but the way PMP is taught and such isn't the same way as we do PM.

We have engineering PMs within our T&D group, they don't design but do use technical knowledge typically at least weekly. And then we have our program PMs, most of them don't do any design work and some have never done design (at least that's been my observation). The Engineering PMs come from our design team. 

I am not sold yet on management versus technical at this point, but either way it is an expectation. I'm going to start down the management side and see if that is indeed where I see myself fitting. Having a PE is a good way to distinguish yourself from others as not everyone can attain one.

Even in management positions (PMs, associate principles, principles), our people still use technical skills to do master planning, preliminary planning, scope/fee development, etc. before handing off projects to design engineers, so I don't believe that having a PE is an unused aspect within those management positions. It gives you credibility among other professionals as well, which can certainly be of use.

As a project manager, I realized from the get-go that a PE may not be necessary for me, but I have seen quite a few PM's on LinkedIn who have their PE. I've found that when it comes to managing technical projects, it helps tremendously to have a solid techincal foundation. I also realize a PMP might be a better "fit", but I'm still early in my career and have no idea if I'll still be in project management in 5 years. I do know I want to continue down a management track, which is why I plan on starting my MBA next year (started my application the day after the  exam lol).

Took the Civil - Structural Exam in Houston. Worst part about it was that we started over an hour late. I didn't think the exam was too bad. I really hope I am not just overconfident. I am firmly in the suck.

People keep saying congratulations and I don’t get it. The proctors said congratulations and made us clap. People at work keep saying congratulations and it’s unnerving. I haven’t done anything yet! I just studied and took an exam because that’s what you’re supposed to do.
Seems like oddly placed accolades.  I mean yes, good job sticking through the studying and sitting for the exam but I'm with you, save the clapping for a notification of success...

To each their own I guess.

As a project manager, I realized from the get-go that a PE may not be necessary for me, but I have seen quite a few PM's on LinkedIn who have their PE. I've found that when it comes to managing technical projects, it helps tremendously to have a solid techincal foundation. I also realize a PMP might be a better "fit", but I'm still early in my career and have no idea if I'll still be in project management in 5 years. I do know I want to continue down a management track, which is why I plan on starting my MBA next year (started my application the day after the  exam lol).
You won't regret it. I have an MBA and with a technical background, it's helped me to advance significantly. Makes you more marketable in private industry.

This thread is giving me flashbacks.  Just thought you should know.

Trust me, you'll like it better this time.

You're both pretty fresh and the experience is still recent. But if you're ever board in a few years, look back through the threads pre-release for your wait session. Gives a whole new perspective on things. I used to think that the Oct 2014 wait had it the worst. I don't feel that way anymore....

Trust me, you'll like it better this time.

You're both pretty fresh and the experience is still recent. But if you're ever board in a few years, look back through the threads pre-release for your wait session. Gives a whole new perspective on things. I used to think that the Oct 2014 wait had it the worst. I don't feel that way anymore....
What cycle do you think has had it the worst? 

Latest posts

Back