October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Programming question of the day. Try to do it all in your head. What value does the function return?

int main()
{
int a, b = 5, c = 5, d = 1;

a = (b++ > c) ? ((b - d++) < c) ? d + c : d + 1 : ((b + ++d) < (c + d)) ? c : (d++);

return a;
}

Since nobody could answer this, I'm going to up the reward points from 1 to 10.

I get where youre coming from but when my family "surprises" me it shows how little they know about me.

Frankly if I could not get a gift and have an experience with my family (dinner, a play, ski day, etc), id love that. But my family insists on giving stuff. Even if its stuff you dont like or want. (Ie my aunt gave me a hot oil treatment for my hair one year. Which if she knew me, she'd know that I brush my hair & go )
This is my mom.  A majority of my family have figured out that when I say I don't want anything, they'll get me a gift card to Costco or something like that (I love Costco gift cards, means I can get gas or food), or we'll do a verbal, "Hey, I'll buy dinner one night when we're on vacation or a couple rounds of drinks" which works.  My mom likes buying stuff to buy stuff.

I love her but we kinda were assholes one year, a few ago, where she bought my siblings, dad, and I a bunch of unwanted stuff.  We put everything we didn't want/need in a pile and told her to return it.  Really assholey, and I wish we had handled it a different way, but she has curbed the Christmas spending a bit.  She still buys a ton of random junk/clearance stuff, but doesn't try to give it to use as gifts anymore.

This is my mom.  A majority of my family have figured out that when I say I don't want anything, they'll get me a gift card to Costco or something like that (I love Costco gift cards, means I can get gas or food), or we'll do a verbal, "Hey, I'll buy dinner one night when we're on vacation or a couple rounds of drinks" which works.  My mom likes buying stuff to buy stuff.

I love her but we kinda were assholes one year, a few ago, where she bought my siblings, dad, and I a bunch of unwanted stuff.  We put everything we didn't want/need in a pile and told her to return it.  Really assholey, and I wish we had handled it a different way, but she has curbed the Christmas spending a bit.  She still buys a ton of random junk/clearance stuff, but doesn't try to give it to use as gifts anymore.
I think it was a necessary step to show her how out of control she was. I did it to my grandmother who kept buying me clothes - unless it was a camisole, it was always the wrong size or style. I'm not a size small nor do I wear turtlenecks and havent since I was allowed to pick my own clothes in 3rd grade.

I think it was a necessary step to show her how out of control she was. I did it to my grandmother who kept buying me clothes - unless it was a camisole, it was always the wrong size or style. I'm not a size small nor do I wear turtlenecks and havent since I was allowed to pick my own clothes in 3rd grade.
Yeah, mom has gotten a little better.  I can't say anything to my grandma, but she stopped buying clothes for us on her own since she never knows what size the grandkids are.  She does buy clothes for my mom and aunt and when something doesn't fit them (too small), they'll usually pass it onto me.  I have no fashion sense, so I tend to wear whatever when I'm not at the office.  Only thing I agree with you is: no turtlenecks.  I have big boobs and it makes them look ridiculous/makes me feel uncomfortable.

if you pass, what's the next thing you plan to work on or the next thing you want to accomplish?
Not really sure. Professionally, I'd like to develop my technical knowledge quite a bit before deciding how far down the technical track or management track rabbit holes I want to jump. At that point, I might decide to get the PMP, not just because I want people to wonder if I'm a professional pimp, but also because I think I have a good combination of the technical and non-technical skills to be a PM, particularly in consulting, and the PMP looks good on paper. That'll be a little ways out, though.

On a personal level, I'm hoping to get a little extra coin in my bank account and maybe see if there are hobbies that I still enjoy. 

if you pass, what's the next thing you plan to work on or the next thing you want to accomplish?
Two things:.

1. I want to learn Python (plus numpy, scipy, and pandas), specifically for data processing.
  2. Also I'm thinking of joining Toastmasters. We have a chapter in the area and my company will pay for it.
Well, I passed last year, but these are my new career goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back