October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I missed the context of the baby shark emoji tagging of someone.

Why? What does it mean besides "Baby shark do do do do do do"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.  That's what I was hoping to hear.  I haven't been contributing to the Vanguard account, since it was a rollover from a previous employment 401k, and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing with this.  I think my future plan that I've been tinkering with has been to move one of my Roth IRA savings over to Vanguard and throw some more into the US stocks index fund I already have and then maybe 25% of it into a target fund (just so I don't go too crazy).  And then just ignore it/peek in every year or so to move things around if necessary. 

I also have traditional/Roth 401k accounts at fidelity from a different employer that I think I'm going to rollover into my TSP instead of opening a new account at Fidelity.  Then I can figure out what funds I want to do with my TSP, I was thinking a 75/25 mix of C Fund/L Fund to cover the S&P 500 and another lifecycle fund.  It just sucks that I can't move my Roth IRA into the TSP, but I think I can do that at Vanguard, so I'll be okay?  Ugh.  I am horrible at this stuff, but I'm slowly teaching myself so I don't sound like a total idiot/I'll only be a half-wit.
If you are still young and can deal with the fact that the markets will go up and down, I would skip bonds for now. Knowledgeable financial advisers will tell you that you are better off either going all-in on the target funds or skipping them altogether. If you don't want to have any control over where you are contributing your money, target funds are a good thing, but if you want any control over your asset allocation, you should skip the target funds. If you are a little more affected by seeing your money go up and down, I would look for a bond index fund for some more stability, but bond performance has been atrocious for so long that you won't see much growth from it.

I am not knowledgeable about TSP and the funds within those, so I can't say much on those. 

From the sound of it, I think you would certainly benefit from consolidating some of these accounts together, so that it is a little bit easier to keep track of and plan a path. 

Specifically about the ROTH IRA, I think that in order to future proof yourself against unknown future tax rates, I would have a mix of different sources. ROTH IRAs provide a lot more flexibility than traditional IRAs. Required minimum distributions do not exist in a ROTH IRA, so you can keep that money in the account until you die. It allows you to take funds out of the ROTH in the same years as 401k, 403b, etc. to lower your tax burden, since the ROTH is post-tax. 

My thoughts on the last couple pages:

By most accounts I'm right in the middle of the millennial generation.

I've also dialed and hung up a phone. My parents even had a rotary phone when I was a kid.

I used floppy disks all the time in elementary and middle school. (And played Oregon Trail.)

Owning a house is nice, but I can currently afford neither the down payment not the higher monthly payment that would come from not have l having a down payment... And OMGoodness, the property taxes in Ohio on a house that's not in the hood is like a third of what I'm currently paying in rent.
Oregon Trail was the best! I would get 2000 lbs of buffaloes, but only be able to carry back 200 lbs every time.

Oregon Trail was the best! I would get 2000 lbs of buffaloes, but only be able to carry back 200 lbs every time.
So my co-coach brought up OT at Girls on the Run a few weeks ago when we were talking to the gilrs (3rd-5th graders) about how words are forever  (especially on the internet). So many memories of playing that in elementary school on our DOS computers LOL

If you are still young and can deal with the fact that the markets will go up and down, I would skip bonds for now. Knowledgeable financial advisers will tell you that you are better off either going all-in on the target funds or skipping them altogether. If you don't want to have any control over where you are contributing your money, target funds are a good thing, but if you want any control over your asset allocation, you should skip the target funds. If you are a little more affected by seeing your money go up and down, I would look for a bond index fund for some more stability, but bond performance has been atrocious for so long that you won't see much growth from it.

I am not knowledgeable about TSP and the funds within those, so I can't say much on those. 

From the sound of it, I think you would certainly benefit from consolidating some of these accounts together, so that it is a little bit easier to keep track of and plan a path. 

Specifically about the ROTH IRA, I think that in order to future proof yourself against unknown future tax rates, I would have a mix of different sources. ROTH IRAs provide a lot more flexibility than traditional IRAs. Required minimum distributions do not exist in a ROTH IRA, so you can keep that money in the account until you die. It allows you to take funds out of the ROTH in the same years as 401k, 403b, etc. to lower your tax burden, since the ROTH is post-tax. 
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting into bonds anytime soon.  I don't really care about the money going up and down, I think it's more of me trying to convince myself that it's okay to have all my money in one big lump but having a bit in a target fund (which is like 100% stocks at my age anyway) will help shut up that little corner of my brain.

I figured out the TSP.  The C Fund follows the S&P 500 and the L Fund is one of the lifetime funds (I think I'd be in the 2050 fund).  Again, I'm in this for the long haul, so I'm not too worried about the ups and downs.  I think consolidating some of my accounts, though, is the big thing for me.  I'm rolling over HSA funds into that new account and I figured I might as well rollover my 401k funds as well, if I'm doing all this paperwork.

I mean, right now I have both traditional and Roth 401k for my investment accounts and both traditional and Roth IRAs at my credit union.  I was planning on moving some of my Roth IRA funds into a Roth IRA account at Vanguard, so I could begin investing with it/potentially getting a larger return from it instead of the CDs I keep rolling it in.  I understand the difference between the Roth and traditional, that was never the issue, it's all about me moving things around.  I was thinking about switching some of my traditional savings into my Roth IRA but I don't feel like messing with any tax stuff right now with the new job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back