October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be retiring til I'm dead, so whatevs.

I'm really not planning to retire, just transition to part-time work.
My dad retired at 55 and I kinda want to attempt to aim for the same number.  I'll be old enough to, hopefully, have a bit of a nest egg, but young enough to be able to get around without knees that creak too loudly.  I agree with the part-time work, but I want to take off from my 'main job' and maybe start doing more artwork or whatever.

I was born too lower-middle class to pull this off.
Nah, bro.  My whole family is lower-middle and you can do it.  You just got to plan and start early.  If you haven't been adding money to your 401k, startttttt.  Compound interest is a thing, even on crap money, and as long as you aren't expecting tri-tip all the time, you could be pretty comfortable.

My dad retired at 55 and I kinda want to attempt to aim for the same number.  I'll be old enough to, hopefully, have a bit of a nest egg, but young enough to be able to get around without knees that creak too loudly.  I agree with the part-time work, but I want to take off from my 'main job' and maybe start doing more artwork or whatever.
I'm a millennial. My magic number is going to end up being 70. I'll likely be able to retire much earlier than that, but I'll probably retire around then.

I expect to make it past 90 based on family history. Going out at 55 means 35 years of less-than-full activity. I'm too type-A for a lifestyle like that for that long.

I'm a millennial. My magic number is going to end up being 70. I'll likely be able to retire much earlier than that, but I'll probably retire around then.

I expect to make it past 90 based on family history. Going out at 55 means 35 years of less-than-full activity. I'm too type-A for a lifestyle like that for that long.
I am on the same boat, except maybe for the long lifespan thing (my family history varies)

You must be an older millenial, like me.

I am on the same boat, except maybe for the long lifespan thing (my family history varies)
I'll be lucky if my first heart attack comes after 50, and I make it until 75. My plan is to just have something to give my child(ren).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, bro.  My whole family is lower-middle and you can do it.  You just got to plan and start early.  If you haven't been adding money to your 401k, startttttt.  Compound interest is a thing, even on crap money, and as long as you aren't expecting tri-tip all the time, you could be pretty comfortable.
I probably could if I was single and not planning on having kids... Scratch that, I DEFINITELY could if I was single and not planning on having kids. But hey, c'est la vie.

I'm contributing 4% to my 401k, but that probably won't be enough to make much headway. Meanwhile, the expenses keep rolling in.

It's okay though, I can totally see myself taking a couple years off, then going back to working part time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back