October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyfriend says this often too. And then bitches about engineers to me (he isn't an engineer)
As an engineer with a decent amount of hands-on experience, I can understand your BF's frustration.

At our company the engineers are also the startup and commissioning crew (including electrical troubleshooting). So we function in all capacities. It makes for a much smarter group of people, but also leaves us understaffed at times.

As an engineer with a decent amount of hands-on experience, I can understand your BF's frustration.

At our company the engineers are also the startup and commissioning crew (including electrical troubleshooting). So we function in all capacities. It makes for a much smarter group of people, but also leaves us understaffed at times.
His company recently had a project where their engineers did the design, he thought it would be a better set up that usual. He says (repeatedly) how wrong he was and wishes it was an external group. I don't think it helps that in general, their electrical group is understaffed so they're overworked but I'e noticed some people are more relaxed in responding to things when it's "Bob down the hall" than when it's "Bob from Company XYZ" since they aren't treating the other groups as internal clients, just as coworkers. 

His company recently had a project where their engineers did the design, he thought it would be a better set up that usual. He says (repeatedly) how wrong he was and wishes it was an external group. I don't think it helps that in general, their electrical group is understaffed so they're overworked but I'e noticed some people are more relaxed in responding to things when it's "Bob down the hall" than when it's "Bob from Company XYZ" since they aren't treating the other groups as internal clients, just as coworkers. 
Yeah, it's definitely a mentality that varies between companies. I've been trained to think of everyone I work with (clients and coworkers alike) as clients. I feel it makes everyone happier.

Yeah, it's definitely a mentality that varies between companies. I've been trained to think of everyone I work with (clients and coworkers alike) as clients. I feel it makes everyone happier.
That's how I operate as well but unlike many of my coworkers, I've been loaned out to other offices so I kind of need to lol 

As a full service firm, our biggest client is... us.  We do a lot of worksharing and "hiring" of other displines in our office and other offices also.

Don't tell @JayKay PE, but I lived in Syracuse for almost 2 years.
Hahahahahahaha, Syracuse it totally fine!  I used to travel there every year for the Great NY State Fair!  It's also where I sat for my final PE exam, where I passed!  Fond memories (and orange is my favorite color!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back