October 2014 Exam - Anyone started studying yet?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking the HVAC depth section in October. Looks like I need to concentrate most of my time from the start of fluids in MERM through the end of HVAC.

I also plan on skipping plant engineering completely.

I'm taking the HVAC depth section in October. Looks like I need to concentrate most of my time from the start of fluids in MERM through the end of HVAC.

I also plan on skipping plant engineering completely.
Remember 35% of the exam is other stuff. So I would be prepared for all of it. Also don't rely JUST on the MERM for HVAC get some supplemental study material as well (6MS is good).

Last edited by a moderator:
use the NCEES syllabus (http://ncees.org/exams/pe-exam/) as a guideline for what to study and approximately how much of your time to devote to each subject. when i was studying from the MERM for the April exam i made the mistake of going through the 'Background' chapters. waste of time. Just start with Fluids Chapter 14. also this is a bit on the neurotic side, but helpful i think. here's how i set up my current study schedule http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=23613&p=7201886
How does one go about studying for the first item on NCEES' list?

I. Basic Engineering Practice 30%

A. Basic Engineering Practice

1. Engineering terms and symbols

2. Economic analysis

3. Project management

4. Interpretation of technical drawings

5. Electrical concepts

6. Units and conversions
A lot of that is simply what you've learned as an engineer over the past 4 years.

Based on the TF exam I took (which could very well be different than another year's TF exam), I would suggest studying the interest tables and economic formulas in the MERM. Once you understand how they're set up, they aren't too difficult and it could result in 4 or 5 easy answers.

You should have a units conversion book (Engineering Unit Conversion - Lindeburg) with you and open on the table the whole time. You'll need it. I don't remember having to do too much with lbm / lbf / slugs / gc, but it wouldn't hurt to be familiar with the concepts.

And you probably won't do anything more than V = I R for electrical.

Again, that's based on the exam I took a couple of years ago. Yours could be drastically different.

For those of us that are planning on taking the October 2014 exam, we're almost at the 4-months-to-go mark... anyone started hitting the books yet? How many hours a night/week?

I've been attending a review course since May, but really haven't shifted into study mode yet. Was planning on starting July 1. Haven't heard whether or not I'm approved to sit for the exam yet, so it's hard to get completely serious at this point...

Is there anyone interested in forming an study group for the Oct 2014-Mechanical MD exam? for those of us that live on the East Coast, perhaps something like Skype meetings or Google Group chat / Hangout. I was thinking perhaps meeting once or twice a week in the evenings to discuss strategy, study materials, etc....

Latest posts

Back