October 09 Results in for Florida

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just downloaded the results of my exam, and I passed.
Congrats Tony Q

Unfortunately I failed the SE1. My question is: I have the civil PE and took the Struct 1 as an "Additional Discipline" I did pretty much as I expected: very good on concrete, foundations and Methods, Decent in steel and lateral forces, and blew it in Timber and Masonry which I have not had exposure to prior.

Now:

1) Does failing an additional discipline exam affect your original PE?

2) I was told to get the Breyer / Findley timber book. (I just studied off the Serm and Ppi paperbacks for the exam). Can anyone recommend a similarly comprehensive masonry book?

3) What are your thoughts on the new 2-day exam in April 2011? I'm planning on waiting for that one.

Advice is appreciated..

In your case, already being licensed, come this time next year, having only passed the SE I exam will be all but meaningless. Unless you feel you can pass the SE I and SE II exam by this time next year, I would wait and take the new structural exams starting in 2011.

Just my two cents.

Also, I can't imagine that not passing the SE I would have any impact on your current license.

Congrats Tony Q

Unfortunately I failed the SE1. My question is: I have the civil PE and took the Struct 1 as an "Additional Discipline" I did pretty much as I expected: very good on concrete, foundations and Methods, Decent in steel and lateral forces, and blew it in Timber and Masonry which I have not had exposure to prior.

Now:

1) Does failing an additional discipline exam affect your original PE?

2) I was told to get the Breyer / Findley timber book. (I just studied off the Serm and Ppi paperbacks for the exam). Can anyone recommend a similarly comprehensive masonry book?

3) What are your thoughts on the new 2-day exam in April 2011? I'm planning on waiting for that one.

Advice is appreciated..
Sorry to hear that, don't be discouraged. Your dedication to get the SE1 in addition to your PE is already COMMENDABLE!

I don't know if I am qualified to give any advice yet but I will do it anyway. Your story resemble to the story of many who fail the SE1.

1-I don't know but I don't think so.

2-I bought the Breyer/Fidley timber book last time after having failed 2 times (still waiting for the third try result). I call it the bible of wood design. Very good book.

For masonry design, I used the Reinforced Concrete Masonry Design by Vilas Mujumdar to help me with the code and I used my old text book (you can use any masonry text book in my opinion).

3- I don't personally like the two days exam. I think it will be harder for many reasons, so I am not planning on waiting on it

Sorry to hear that, don't be discouraged. Your dedication to get the SE1 in addition to your PE is already COMMENDABLE!I don't know if I am qualified to give any advice yet but I will do it anyway. Your story resemble to the story of many who fail the SE1.

1-I don't know but I don't think so.

2-I bought the Breyer/Fidley timber book last time after having failed 2 times (still waiting for the third try result). I call it the bible of wood design. Very good book.

For masonry design, I used the Reinforced Concrete Masonry Design by Vilas Mujumdar to help me with the code and I used my old text book (you can use any masonry text book in my opinion).

3- I don't personally like the two days exam. I think it will be harder for many reasons, so I am not planning on waiting on it
Hansel, thanks for your encouragement and good luck with your exam results. I'll be ordering the Mujumdar book when I log off. I had also just studied of the Serm and the 97 design guide they had in my office. I'd also appreciate the name of which masonry textbook you used. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back