Oct 2018 Failing Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are old Standards. There is a similar thing in Florida Board too.

NCEES uses a modern telemetry blah blah, statistics method. 

But it is true that the general consensus among test takes is that it is generally 56/80 which is 70% , a safe figure.

Given how hard or easy a particular test was, the passing grade is curved to match the standards of previous tests. Basically people who passed it last time should be in a way similar to the person who passes this year.

Also, I dont think it just a flat number like 56/80; there might be some extra points when you do better than the average in a particular section and you lose some points when you score below the average, making the score hover around 56 but not exact 56.
I got 27/40am and 21/40pm, TBPE got score 68, so I guess TBPE has already converted into their passing score of 70?

I took it in Texas. Failed in April with a 49/80 ElecPower at 69%. I passed this October with a 71%. 70% is the cutoff
That's awesome! Congrats! Do you mind stating how many you got correct? I got a 43/80 and so far I haven't seen any higher than 48/80. Or if you could post in the Electrical Power Exam Sub Forum. There is a thread for 'Any Update on the Results???????????' I'm sure everyone would benefit from what you feel comfortable adding. 

This was go number 3 for me and even though I did significantly better this time I don't know if I have it in me for another go at it. I have a 3 yr old at home that I've missed a lot of time with.

That's awesome! Congrats! Do you mind stating how many you got correct? I got a 43/80 and so far I haven't seen any higher than 48/80. Or if you could post in the Electrical Power Exam Sub Forum. There is a thread for 'Any Update on the Results???????????' I'm sure everyone would benefit from what you feel comfortable adding. 

This was go number 3 for me and even though I did significantly better this time I don't know if I have it in me for another go at it. I have a 3 yr old at home that I've missed a lot of time with.
even if you don't study much more between now and your next try, don't give up. I studied maybe 24 extra hours between my failing and passing attempts. it was all in my approach - going through multiple passes in terms of difficulty, to keep my momentum and confidence up and save the more complex problems until the end. 

I passed geotech depth. I used School of PE, and just worked tons of practice problems. NCEES practice exams, and other practice problems that I found online. Geotechnical engineers handbook was very helpful for the more obscure qualitative questions on the depth portion. 
I passed Geotech this time also. I worked practice exams and read through 6 minute solutions, and brought them with me to the test. I bought Geotechnical engineers handbook a week before the exam (delivered Tuesday night, test Friday!) because of advice on this board and found it very helpful on multiple questions I couldn't have answered without it.

Those are old Standards. There is a similar thing in Florida Board too.

NCEES uses a modern telemetry blah blah, statistics method. 

But it is true that the general consensus among test takes is that it is generally 56/80 which is 70% , a safe figure.

Given how hard or easy a particular test was, the passing grade is curved to match the standards of previous tests. Basically people who passed it last time should be in a way similar to the person who passes this year.

Also, I dont think it just a flat number like 56/80; there might be some extra points when you do better than the average in a particular section and you lose some points when you score below the average, making the score hover around 56 but not exact 56.
I’m not saying that NCEES raw score has to be 70 percent. I’m saying that the curved score and based on TBPE in order to be a “pass” according to the state of Texas has to be a score of 70. Hence why people on here say they for 48/80 and score of 65 on TBPE website

I took it in Texas. Failed in April with a 49/80 ElecPower at 69%. I passed this October with a 71%. 70% is the cutoff
@Keekabo : Congratulations! How are you calculating the 69%? Just trying to understand this better. Also, when you say 71%, how many q's did you get correct. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Updates so far from surveys for highest failing score: 

October 2018 HVAC & Refrigeration Results Survey: [SIZE=10pt]50 out of 80[/SIZE]  https://goo.gl/forms/nCkDJdNzOIPImtbf1
October 2018 Thermal & Fluids Results Survey: [SIZE=10pt]42 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]out of 80 [/SIZE]https://goo.gl/forms/WvnZwcV8tFbyZoyK2
October 2018 Machine Design & Materials Results Survey: [SIZE=10pt]48 out of 80 [/SIZE]https://goo.gl/forms/uN7dRaVq6SYtJWG53

October 2018 Power Results Survey: [SIZE=10pt]47 out of 80 [/SIZE]https://goo.gl/forms/WfGI5j1gWNXUaHsC3

Top 8 sections are AM

The remaining are PM. 

If you count the number of questions, in top 8 and the remaining, they are 40 and 40.
This probably doesn't apply to all disciplines.  For example, my exam (ME Thermal Fluids) has 12 sections - 6 are "Principles" and the other 6 are "Applications". However, the 6 Principles sections only add up to 32 questions. 

@Keekabo : Congratulations! How are you calculating the 69%? Just trying to understand this better. Also, when you say 71%, how many q's did you get correct. Thanks
@Ricson Thank you! Texas gives your final percentage - I didn't calculate anything and I have no idea how they calculate it. And if you pass, you do not receive the number you got correct. Based off of everything I've seen so far, it looks like the cutoff for the Electrical Power this year is at least 48/80. Maybe someone from Texas with a 69% will share their score.

Latest posts

Back