Obama aims to ax the moon mission

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a thought to create a mining operation on the moon. Heavier, fissionable elements are on the surface of the moon, so we could load up on the far side of the moon, ship the fissionable product back home and dump our waste on the next return trip. Cheap energy and we keep a nice view (also we keep the moon in orbit around the Earth longer due to slightly diminishing its mass).

So what's up with this?

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=151513

I know NASA let the contractors working on Constellation go, as well as a bunch of civil service folks. So is this real or vaporware?

I do like the overall design better than Constellation. This looks like a great heavy lifter. I hope they pull it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
they had a similar model of this at Space Camp Huntsville a few years ago and said something along this line is what they are moving too..

reading the article is says how Nasa will just have to "get by with less" yeah right, I dont think thats something they have ever cared about in terms of NASA.. Money that is...

Dead link. Guess the :Chris: axed that already, too.

Dead link. Guess the :Chris: axed that already, too.
Fixed the link.

What was truly odd about the dead link was that they had multiple stories, and now they are all gone off the home page. I fully expect the fixed link to be yanked soon.

I had a thought to create a mining operation on the moon. Heavier, fissionable elements are on the surface of the moon, so we could load up on the far side of the moon, ship the fissionable product back home and dump our waste on the next return trip. Cheap energy and we keep a nice view (also we keep the moon in orbit around the Earth longer due to slightly diminishing its mass).
Space 1999! Bring it baby!

Who knows, maybe they are looking into that. I went down to watch the launch of these satellites last week.

http://science.nasa.gov/missions/grail/

Space 1999! Bring it baby!
It's all fun and games until the spent nuclear fuel depot on the far side blows and knocks you out of orbit.

"WHEEE!! I haven't had so much fun since I burned Grandmas wig!"

Back