Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this falls under "exercise."

I put lifting on hold to focus all my extra time on improving my disc golf game for a tournament I've entered in October. I started playing back in 2010, and had to take a break after having our first kid and other life stuff. I completely forgot how much I enjoy it, and now it's grown so much because of the pandemic last year.

I think this falls under "exercise."

I put lifting on hold to focus all my extra time on improving my disc golf game for a tournament I've entered in October. I started playing back in 2010, and had to take a break after having our first kid and other life stuff. I completely forgot how much I enjoy it, and now it's grown so much because of the pandemic last year.
That sounds like me. I got back into golf (not disc golf, just "golf") after passing the exam.

Okay! The start of 'reset' August! Main goals:
  • Go to gym 3x a week (minimum);
  • Only one alcoholic drink per week;
  • Increase protein intake;
  • Actually weigh myself;
  • Keep eating down pantry, even though it is a lot of carbs. Try to balance that out with veggies and protein; and
  • Only one 'cheat' day a week (most likely when I get a drink with coworkers).
I've also got to try and cut down snacking. I might do a protein shake instead or something. I get bored in front of the tv and end up eating bad stuff.

I have my yearly post-cancer checkup on Wednesday, and I am not looking forward to my endocrinologist poking me in the gut and saying "where'd all that come from this past year, fat boy?"

I have my yearly post-cancer checkup on Wednesday, and I am not looking forward to my endocrinologist poking me in the gut and saying "where'd all that come from this past year, fat boy?"
giphy.gif

We did back squat with a 3 second deficit last night. I didn't go too heavy, topped out at 137lbs. My TFL/hip thing is still weird. Idk. I'm just going to suffer since I'm too lazy to find a GP in Indiana/I don't know what type of doctor to find. Mostly 'twinges' when I have a super sharp squat angle (think Cossack squat or bottom of a heavy lift squat). We had to do split squat with dumbbells last night. Had to do 25lbs because the smaller weights were gone. Did it. Was not happy (nothing to do with hip, more to do with me having horrible balance).

Also, may have hit protein goal yesterday by drinking x2 protein shakes and having salmon for dinner. It's...kinda hard to eat this much protein, and I think myfitnesspal is "over calculating' how much I need, since I can't set actual amounts I can only set %s. Whatev. Only the second day of this month reset. Going to the gym tonight (I think it's strict press), so we'll see how much I lost from not going consistently.

I forgot to update. Yesterday we did bench. I'm angry, I only got to 92lbs. I want to break 100lbs so bad! We've also started doing more chin-ups/pull-ups during class. I can now do them with the black band pretty easily. I'm trying to focus on not swinging as much. I did a few with a green+blue band last night and it was tough, but I was able to get through a set or two.

I'm just trying to keep going forward. TFL/hip area seems to be getting better with exercise combined with me slapping a ton of salonpas pads on it once in a while (like 5 or 6 of them) when I go to bed. A normal heat pad doesn't make it feel better, but the concentrated heat of the sticky pads def helps. The area doesn't hurt when I wake up anymore, but it gets achy during the day. Which is a lot better than what it was before!

Congrats on being post cancer!
Cancer sucks!
@Supe congratulations on beating cancer
@jean15paul yes cancer does suck. Had multiple family members die of cancer.
If anyone smokes please stop.

I'm craving bread like all the time

Pretty much. We're just so used to "nobody went grocery shopping, order a couple pizzas or Chinese food", that its a tough habit to kick. Kind of doing the "if I'm good all week, I'll reward myself with a cheat meal on the weekend" sort of deal, so I can get out of the house with Junior or Mrs. Supe for a meal.

I'm by no means starving myself, just slowing meals down/limiting portions, cutting unnecessary calories out for breakfast/lunch (keeping lunch to mostly salads with turkey/lean ham/add-ins until I acclimate), drinking my 1.5L/water, and cutting back on the sodas (I drank WAY too many sodas, even though they were the zero calorie ones, which are chock full of sodium).

I drank WAY too many sodas, even though they were the zero calorie ones, which are chock full of sodium
Yeah, I used to drink a ton of diet soda, but the bloating/sugar response from the sweeteners made me feel like crap after a while and made me hungrier because I'd have an empty belly. I'm going through the same thing where I have one 'cheat day' a week where I can drink and one 'cheat day' where I can go over my calories of 1800/day. If they happen to fall on the same day, sucks for me.

@Platypus Engineer don't you say shit about potato bread. That is my annual guilty pleasure. I wish I could have it more, but I've kinda rotated into loving Dave's Killer bread.

Latest posts

Back