Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shared with a few others on this board, wanted to share it here too.

I’m at the 6 month mark today, and I got this sweet before/after pic.

Top is 294 on 12/14/2019, bottom is 247 this morning.

Fair warning, shirtless pic incoming...

Chebychev is about to be Scrawnychev.

whats your fitness program? (running, walking, eating right, biking, etc)?? 
Initially it was weight lifting and CICO (calories in/calories out). Nowadays it's CICO, Intermittent Fasting, and increased activity (mostly walking and yardwork). Kids keep me awake too late at night lately for me to have motivation to get up super early in the morning to lift; hoping that will change soon.

I’m at the 6 month mark today, and I got this sweet before/after pic.

Top is 294 on 12/14/2019, bottom is 247 this morning.
Dude, that's awesome!  It's one thing to start something and say "i'm going to lose some weight", but it's something else entirely to take the before pic, keep it up after six months, take an after pic for comparison, and then keep it going.  Time, patience, and determination.  Keep it up!  Remember, muscle burns fat.  Add some lifting (body weight, if nothing else) to your regimen to get a more efficient burn. :thumbs:

Not to take away from Cheb, but I continue my weight loss as well.  After starting to level out in the weekly weight loss (7, 5, 3.5, 1.5) and hearing enough of "you gotta do something about your keto breath" from the wife, I decided to up my carb intake.  So last week I added smoothies and some homemade cookies to the list.  There are other carbs added as well, but those two taste the best and are the most regular.  Not too surprisingly, I feel better and have more energy.  I even ran a 10K on Sunday.  At least as accurate a 10K as google maps measures.  That's the longest I have ever run... like EVER.  When I finished and even into Monday, my knees ached and throbbed.  Doesn't matter.  I am now 186.6 lbm which puts last week at a 3.4 lbm drop (i think?).  And keto breath appears to be gone.

Without a doubt, CICO helps.  Regular running / cardio helps.  Sunday fasting definitely helps.  My body reacts differently to lesser amounts of food than it did previously.  I'm full with less and am less prone to grazing.  My wife runs the menu and she is instrumental in our health.  Without support, this would be a much more difficult challenge.  YMMV.

Did my first deadlift with the bar yesterday!  I feel like I could have put more weight on (I think I had a 10kg + 10lb + 5 lb + the bar), but I also want to have better form before I go higher.  I'm enjoying this strength training.  It's interesting to me because so much of my 'past' exercising has been super cardio, which I could never keep up with.

Tonight is kickboxing.  I'm not ultra sore from lifting (like last week), so that means I can maybe push more tonight and on Wednesday.  

What kind of grip did they have you use?  Double overhand, or mixed grip (over-under)?

Did double overhand.  Not sure what mixed grip is.  We did 5 reps/2 min for 5 rounds.  Felt like I could have put more on, but then was told to reduce weight since we were doing 'slow' 2-second lifts/drops.  But that's the normal way I deadlift, so yeah.

Did you ever get your strap-ons?
I'll never tell.  🙂🙃🙂

Just remember that proper form is to slightly rest your PE-ness on the bar. 
So...just asking for a friend.  My boobs keep getting in the way.  Do I rest my PE above or below that.  There are a lot of things getting rested on or being rested under this bar.

Since I'm guessing we comprehend issues better through visual means, it would probably help if you posted a picture.  You know... for science.

I'll never tell.  🙂🙃🙂

So...just asking for a friend.  My boobs keep getting in the way.  Do I rest my PE above or below that.  There are a lot of things getting rested on or being rested under this bar.
If your boobs are hanging lower than your PE-ness, we need to talk about some necessary gym gear. 

I know I have scraped my chest on Power Cleans  before so I can imagine it can be a struggle!

Also I know doing an overhead squat of 135 lbs (from the floor) doesn't sound like a lot of weight but that was my 1 rep max today, was pretty cool. 

sometimes I wonder if its in bad taste, if say you have a really bad workout at your gym one day, and say you go to the morning class and get it out of the way, is it like, in bad taste to show up for the evening classes with say a beach chair and an adult beverage to watch others do burpee sled pushes in the heat?

whats your fitness program? (running, walking, eating right, biking, etc)?? 
I have been hearing all this but anyone did try to have it to lose weight. I wonder the answer will be no. My weight loss  journey didn't last more as I tried different ways and had different diets to lose weight and not only diet but exercises including running, walking, eating right, biking, etc but couldn't lose weight. i found a hope in the glory of the Sled push to loss weight it not only makes body flexible but also make you lose weight. Having this program you can lose your weight within 12 weeks!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
If your boobs are hanging lower than your PE-ness, we need to talk about some necessary gym gear. 
Not hanging lower, just...in the way.  I actually tend to wear two bras when I work out, a normal underwire + a sports bra.  Helps lift, prevent uni-boob, and keeps them down.  It's what I do when horseback riding, since bouncing = so much hurt when jumping and trotting, and I just transferred it over when I started working out on-foot.  Makes them secure and hasn't failed me yet (and it costs less than the $90+ sports bras made for larger chests).  Continuing that thread, barbell thrusters were ridiculous last night because the trainer was like "move your elbows in more" and my response was "I'm not not trying to do the exercise, but my boobs are in the way".  ...So now I get to raise and push in my elbows, which means I'm holding the weight even longer and I almost died since they were the last workout.

...I didn't drink a protein shake with my dinner last night because I was ultra weak (kickboxing wrecked my shoulders + RDL + puch press) and I woke up this morning ravenous.  I think I'm skipping kickboxing to go to Costco, they have microSD on sale and I need them for my camera, and I'm using this as my mini rest day.  Going to the gym a lot is hard.  Like.  My schedule feels so packed now with sleeping+work+working out that I feel a little rushed sometimes afterwards.

@Master slacker I don't post pics for I am a legendary creature in the folklore of parts of the Americas, and revealing my visage would cause the paranormal freaks to descend on my location like locusts.

I have been hearing all this but anyone did try to have it to lose weight. I wonder the answer will be no. My weight loss  journey didn't last more as I tried different ways and had different diets to lose weight and not only diet but exercises including running, walking, eating right, biking, etc but couldn't lose weight. i found a hope in the Yoga Burn Reviews to loss weight it not only makes body flexible but also make you lose weight. Having this program you can lose your weight within 12 weeks!! 
This seems SO legit. 

Back