Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the gyms formally known as crossfit exchanging running for rowing is a normal thing -

I normally prefer to run, but lately I have been rowing cause my knees are going through an old man phase..

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?  I didn't know that!  I prefer rowing to running because my ankles/feet themselves are really fucked up from horses stepping on them and breaking all those little bones, so they ultra hurt if I do too much with them.

(and that crossfit drama!  So many people jumping ship!)
Check out whatever the local CF gyms become. My gym almost exclusively allows for run/bike/row to be selected by the person, unless there's something specific we're working on. For warmup, it's almost always a CYOA. 

Crossfit really isn't as scary as it seems from the outside. It might be worth checking out. 

Can’t we at least talk About it in the fitness thread?

Check out this old school video of some of the OG XF “girls”

I wonder if anyone on this entire site can do a single ring muscle up?

I...that is literally the reason I don't want to get involved with crossfit...like.  That can't be correct form?  They look so exhausted and in pain at the end of things.  I'd rather work slower and not be in completed pain at the end of the day...

In other news: did my first group class tomorrow.  Was only 3 people (not sure if there is usually much more) and I def enjoyed it more than other exercise classes.  The trainer really focused on form for EVERYTHING; corrected my deadlift (got to use the little hex bar), corrected my plank position, and it was super straightforward. The actual 'workouts' were more :40/:20, with a little bit of rest in between each motion, which I really really enjoyed because sometimes I just need to catch my breath.  If the classes keep being under 6-people, I def will keep at it.  The trainers were super informative!

My legs kinda hurt today, but not too bad.  Def think Wednesday, when my next class is, will determine if I die or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't be surprising that many of the best CrossFit athletes have some Olympic lifting background. 

Although that's an older video, those are three of the original gangsta XF games ladies -  I think they are doing good at keeping the bar close their body and their backs flat - the movement was supposed to be hanging power cleans, but the weight was probably light for them so they looked like they were also doing some muscle cleans - in a typical class when you get exhausted and form breaks down you will get told to rest so you can keep the form and not get hurt - that looked like it was done in someones basement?

But that same workout is done by regular joes in class, but most people are not going to be going that high intensity - my pain on a HPC is the bar hitting my shoulders when I catch it in the shoulders on reps like that toward the end - we had one with 50 over the weekend and ive got some marks from it.

I tell everyone its worth giving it a try (if you are looking for something different) - its not for everybody but I have found it hard to argue with the results - 

Back to the running versus rowing options - this morning it was lightly raining, we have been on the struggle bus with the wife and her job and i could tell she didnt really want to go this morning (5 am) you could either run or row 400M - there were only 4 rowers so she opted to run, and kept running home and never came back - she texted me as I was trying to figure out whether to go look  for her or not. I guess she saw a bunch of wall balls and just said fuck it not today... was defin weird...

Is that true?  All I know is in that video I was flinching every single time the bar seemed to hit the top of their thighs.  *wince*
Matt Fraser was exclusively an oly lifter until he had a back injury and switched to Crossfit, Tia Clair Toomey was in the Olympics for weightlifting before she became one of the serious contenders, and Sara Sigmunsdottir (sp?) has a bunch of Icelandic weight lifting records, just for a small sample size.  

Back to the running versus rowing options - this morning it was lightly raining, we have been on the struggle bus with the wife and her job and i could tell she didnt really want to go this morning (5 am) you could either run or row 400M - there were only 4 rowers so she opted to run, and kept running home and never came back - she texted me as I was trying to figure out whether to go look  for her or not. I guess she saw a bunch of wall balls and just said fuck it not today... was defin weird...
This is amazing. 

We're in a deload week in our training, so it's super mellow and we're really just working on form and addressing any kind of kinks we've built up over the last six weeks. Today's workout included 5 minutes each bike, row, and run, but it was pouring outside so I opted to row instead. The entire time I'm rowing I have to think "power through the feet! open hips! pull!" I tend to try to do the whole thing on my toes instead of pushing through my heels and then grunt it out with my arms. Dumb. 

We do so much rowing in the winter I try and run whenever I can when it warms up - I would have rather run today but it was pouring - We are also doing more strength this month and not as many abusive metcons - which feels weird - but my arms looked jacked! :D  - 

We got into this debate earlier but I still say to myself that I am kicking the shit out of the rower - but I guess its not 100% a kick but thats what it feels like to me, but its mainly what I tell myself to keep my going - 

ive got to work out my schedule better, last night the mrs got home late from work (9PM) and by the time she showered, ate, she was all wound up, we didn't go to bed until 11:30 - I dropped my 5 AM spot but forgot to turn my phone alarm off - so i woke her up by accident at 4:01 AM, she decided we should just go ahead and go since we were awake but I guess she wasnt feeling it. - my body isnt quite there yet for the wake up either  - before all this covid BS my body would pretty much wake up on its own at 3:30 AM and I would slide down to the couch and sleep an extra 45 min or so I didn't wake the little general..

It was also weird the owner was in the class, and our least favorite instructor was coaching - I could tell they were curious why she left and didn't return,  like I dont know, I've been dealing with this for 26 years of marriage and still haven't figured that species out..

JK workout update (because I'm sure you guys care, lol).

Ahhhhh.  Delayed onset muscles soreness.  We meet again.

Monday - Did my first strength training class.  Felt kinda sore after, but not too bad.  Feel asleep quickly tonight since I had actually used energy during the day.  It was amazing.

Tuesday - Woke up sore, but not too crazy.  Started getting worse later in the day (prob from sitting at a desk all day).  Did the kickboxing class, fitbit actually tracked it as a workout so a win for me.  Was totally fine in class up until the end where we had to do some air squats...and then my legs were like "No.  Not today."  The climb up the stairs to my apartment was horrible since they're kinda steep.  Took a cold shower and slathered on some muscle rub on my quads and went to bed early after dinner.  I also started drinking my protein shakes again because...I might as well use up the bag.

Wednesday - Waking up is way easier/quicker now that I'm 'exercising' again (I don't classify my flailing as real exercise, but whatev).  Quads are ultra not happy today, but they don't seem as tight?  Debating on taking some acetaminophen later today since the muscles don't seem inflamed/hurty (needing ibuprofen), they just seem a little sore/need to be stretched out.  We'll see how I survive class later tonight.  Drinking the rest of my protein shake for breakfast so I'm not as hungry later on.

RG- I told the story about your wife running home at the gym. Our instructor was like, "I'd be so worried if someone didn't come back!" and everyone else agreed that 100 wall balls would make them run home as well. 

JK- Um, we're in the fitness thread. We care. Definitely don't discount taking a walk to loosen up the muscles. A cheap foam roller will also help tons. 

I want terrifying legs.
As a (primarily) cyclist I SUPER share this goal with you! I love this terminology so I am appropriating this, kthxbye!

JK might appreciate this: Not directly fitness related, but aesthetically I also go for the razor sharp bib and jersey tan line (cyclists are weird, sorrynotsorry). Makes me feel good and confident. It's definitely not as hardcore as @JayKay PE's ink, but it is an aesthetic choice and a deliberate body mod decision that makes me feel good and I can't wait to rock it at the beach this summer (call me vain, dun care! just keepin' it real with my internet frens).

But, probably not gonna rock it at the beach, because Rona.

As a (primarily) cyclist I SUPER share this goal with you! I love this terminology so I am appropriating this, kthxbye!

JK might appreciate this: Not directly fitness related, but aesthetically I also go for the razor sharp bib and jersey tan line (cyclists are weird, sorrynotsorry). Makes me feel good and confident. It's definitely not as hardcore as @JayKay PE's ink, but it is an aesthetic choice and a deliberate body mod decision that makes me feel good and I can't wait to rock it at the beach this summer (call me vain, dun care! just keepin' it real with my internet frens).

Hey, I live for these tan lines as well! Well, usually just the shorts one. Then when I go to the waterpark it looks like I'm wearing sensible white shorts under my swim bottoms. 

Lol, I don't let anyone at my gym know I have ink until maybe 4-months in?  I mean, I still wear leggings underneath my dresses at work.  I tend to forget I have ink, tbh.  AND TERRIFYING LEGS ARE FUCKING AWESOME.  I WANT PEOPLE TO LOOK AND BE IN AWE AND FEAR.

@csb ty for defending me from carbs last night.  I def need to get a foam roller or roller stick.  It's literally just my quads that are dying.  Tonight is going to be super interesting.  I am pretty sure I can just die and the trainer will help me out.

Latest posts

Back