NSPE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

industrial

Reaction score
Does anybody get a membership of NSPE (national society of professional engineers)? Is this worth spending money?

I have a student membership and I'm on the fence about actually paying for it. I dont go to any local chapter meetings (nor do I care to go), but the PE magazine is an interesting read, the daily engineering news headlines are enjoyable, and the salary survey is worthwhile. Are all of those things worth spending a few hundred bucks? I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking no.

My office pays for one professional membership for all PE's. So I had them get me the NSPE / ASPE membership since it was all tied together and I do attend the monthly meetings.

There are other PE's in the office that are memberships of other organizations which benefit the company, so I chose one that works best for me and the rest of the company as a whole.

I'll probably join a few others as well as time goes on. Since I do attend the meetings, it isn't too bad to support them properly. Not like joining the AISI group which is over $1000 per year!

During those monthly meetings, is there a chance to get yourself a connection that could get you a side job or a project that you can do over weekends and make some extra money. Does anyone solicits for these kind of opportunities?

During those monthly meetings, is there a chance to get yourself a connection that could get you a side job or a project that you can do over weekends and make some extra money. Does anyone solicits for these kind of opportunities?
Yes, most NSPE membership is Engineers in private practice. You can make some good connections there.

Another advantage of NSPE membership is Continuing Education credits.

I have heard of a few locals asking for help doing inspections, etc... But have never heard of side jobs that have resulted from the meeting itself. It may happen in other areas though.

It is good for continuing education credits as the topics are usually well in tune to what is required to claim them (as previously mentioned).

Connections with other engineers in your local area are always a good thing, you never know when you may get a call for a side job or to assist with some strange project.

Back