Non-engineering career move

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exengineer

Reaction score
I am now 54, and have not worked in an engineering position for 15 months, other than a bit of contract work (ironically at the same place where I was let go). I am considering a position coming up in January in logistics overseas and would invite comments as to what other careers ex-engineers have taken on. I have thought about trucking and other types of commercial driving (tour bus or trolley) but have not made any firm decision yet. The overseas job will be a one year contract and then back on the streets to find another job. Can't retire at 55 because I most certainly did not get rich off an employee engineer career. Has anyone made a smooth transition into careers such as teaching or government that did not require years of training and qualifying? At my age I don't have the luxury of time and will be lucky to make 65 with any assets at all. So much for how great engineering was as a career choice for me.

I am now 54, and have not worked in an engineering position for 15 months, other than a bit of contract work (ironically at the same place where I was let go). I am considering a position coming up in January in logistics overseas and would invite comments as to what other careers ex-engineers have taken on. I have thought about trucking and other types of commercial driving (tour bus or trolley) but have not made any firm decision yet. The overseas job will be a one year contract and then back on the streets to find another job. Can't retire at 55 because I most certainly did not get rich off an employee engineer career. Has anyone made a smooth transition into careers such as teaching or government that did not require years of training and qualifying? At my age I don't have the luxury of time and will be lucky to make 65 with any assets at all. So much for how great engineering was as a career choice for me.

I've thought about teaching in a community college part time. Haven't really pursued it but I think I can teach physics and math at that level. I'm not sure what the requirements are but I think since I have a M.Eng I would be allowed to. I think community colleges are not as stringent.

On the flip side I have always wanted to be a heavy equipment operator but that field is probably hurting too.

My wife is an adjunct prof at a local community college. She makes just over $500/mo per class, and teaches 3 classes (so she brings home just under $1600/mo). Based on the time she puts in to it, that works out to about 3 bucks an hour, I'd say. :) She doesn't have to work (it's not about the money), but since our kids are now all in school, it's something she's always wanted to do, and she really enjoys it.

The people I see making money teaching are those teaching online classes. Wife has a friend teaching about a dozen online classes, bringing home some decent money doing it. Have to be really organized and pretty good to be at that level of productivity though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of people here who have considered dropping out of the engineering field. Im not sure how many have really made that transition. If people are willing to put themselves through the PE exam, that shows a fairly high level of commitment to the field.

I was miserable at my last job and was considering going to pharmacy school so I could take over my FIL's business. I ended up getting my current position which I love so I dropped those plans. Im not sure I would have liked be a pharmacist any more then my old job, but sometimes a change can do you good.

Reading through your all of your posts...I would suggest trucking.

I don't think being an engineer was the problem though.

Reading through your all of your posts...I would suggest trucking.
I don't think being an engineer was the problem though.
I was actually leaning in that direction myself. Probably would be better off today if I had dropped out of engineering before or shortly after graduation when I found out the truth about it. Hiring practices border on criminal and the old line still applies "it's not what you know, it's who you know that counts most". Engineering has become a joke, the binge drinking partying frat boys who majored in commerce make more money and get more respect than engineers.

you-fucking-crybaby.jpg

Take the overseas job, or look for other overseas jobs that are more engineering-related. Despite current attitudes and trends (and economics), engineers will always be needed. By the time you finish up the oerseas job, perhaps other opportunities will open up back home, or abroad. If nothing else, there are plenty of other countries that respect engineering as a profession, and hold American engineers in some regard.

I taught at a community college for a couple of years after I got laid off a while back. it was interesting, as I taught a wide range of abilities. It really improved my communication skills across the socio-economic lines.

You're not giving us any background, just complaints.

What industry did you work in?

What was your role?

How long were you there?

How many different jobs have you had?

What's your main background? etc. etc.

I was actually leaning in that direction myself. Probably would be better off today if I had dropped out of engineering before or shortly after graduation when I found out the truth about it. Hiring practices border on criminal and the old line still applies "it's not what you know, it's who you know that counts most". Engineering has become a joke, the binge drinking partying frat boys who majored in commerce make more money and get more respect than engineers.
There is truth in alot of this:

1. IT IS ALWAYS who you know, not what you know. IN ANY BUSINESS/OCCUPATION.

2. I agree that the partying 'business majors' that were bottom rung in college are now doing well. I have observed this too. No arguement here.

However, "ENGINEERING" is a broad field with many avenues to follow. maybe you've picked the wrong paths thus far. See my post above, we have no background info.

Myself, I am an engineer with my PE, but have always been considered by myself and my co-workers as a GOOD SALESMAN.

This is important for many reasons, you can sell yourself to employers, to clients, to co-workers (getting help), to contractors (getting stuff done), etc. etc.

I've always said there are two types of engineers, 1. A HEADS UP Engineer, 2. A HEADS DOWN Engineer.

a Heads Up engineer can talk, relate, negotiate, etc. This is very important in productivity. But these aren't usually your best technical or specific people (myself included).

a Heads Down engineer puts their head down, and works on calculations, drawings, specifications, etc. This is also important in productivity for opposite reasons. They are very detail oriented and specific, but not very social.

I think at times a company may need a few more heads up engineers, and the heads down type are the ones looking for work, and vise versa.

It's all about getting yourself into a comfortable fit.

2. I agree that the partying 'business majors' that were bottom rung in college are now doing well. I have observed this too. No arguement here.
Not really my observation at all, or rather, the distribution I observe is pretty bi-modal.

True, the MOST financially successful people I know were either Business/econ type majors, or doctors. My old roommate, my brother's best friend, my BIL, were all business major types who are now CFOs and VPs.

However, as a whole, the business major types I know have not fared better. Many of them are unable to secure work in their field. My brother and his wife, and my sister all got MBAs and now all work as schoolteachers. I got my MSIS in business school with a bunch of MBA students none of whom had as good a job as I did.

IMO people destined to be succesful in business and finance type areas will be successful in those areas regardless of what they study. And anybody can go into those areas, including engineers. Look at how many of the recent high tech titans were engineers and computer scientists. If you have that entrepreneurial spirit, the guts to take chances and fail, schmoozing and sales ability, you have a chance to succeed in that arena. But that is not something you learn in school.

I don't have those talents, so I'm content (and so far lucky enough) to just work for someone else.

I have felt the same way before, but any degree whether engineering, finance, teaching, etc, just gives someone the opportunity to do something, I don’t think having an engineering degree automatically is something that guarantees a lifelong of success and happiness. Its still something you have to work on day to day.

I worked at Home Depot through college, when I graduated and resigned my store manager told me I was crazy to quit to work in a cubicle and that I had potential to become assistant manager / store manager /etc. A friend of mine who worked with me (we were both flunkies in the hardware department) who graduated and stayed at the home depot, is now a regional store manager and makes about two and half times what I make, but for 10 years he probably worked 60 hour weeks, walked on concrete floors, etc while I worked in a cube. He had to weather the change in management at Home Depot the last decade that wanted to get rid of all the old school people and a lot of people didn’t make it (although I hope Home Depot is on the right track where it believed in promotion from within).

Engineering is one of the few fields I know of where us 40 year old people still talk about how hard their thermo class was, or their structural class was, (like anyone cares) and there is a lot of clicks within the engineering society, its all petty insecure bull-**** in my opinion..

You're not giving us any background, just complaints.

What industry did you work in?

What was your role?

How long were you there?

How many different jobs have you had?

What's your main background? etc. etc.
Just finished 20 years in the testing, inspection and certification business where I was a Project Engineer. Background is metallurgical engineering (that's a real problem) and I have had 5 jobs since I graduated. I have hired, trained and supervised inspectors and technologists, worked directly with compliance agencies and officials, solicited business for my department, etc. and all apparently for naught. I did a lot better in the job search area when I had a very thin resume with no substantial experience in anything....got lots of interviews then because I was young. Now of course, too much experience is worse than none.

I work in the gas transmission pipeline industry now, and can say that someone with Metallurgical, testing, inspection, and supervision experience would be looked at very favorably.

Have you looked into Project Supervision in the gas industry? It is booming in the East right now with the Shale plays going on.

Just finished 20 years in the testing, inspection and certification business where I was a Project Engineer. Background is metallurgical engineering (that's a real problem) and I have had 5 jobs since I graduated.
Several metallurgists and stress-oriented engineers in our plant have left to join a nation-wide consulting firm. Their business is constant and they're making more now than when they worked in the chemical industry. At least in the Gulf South, metallurgy is hot field right now.

Back