New York State PE Application Review Process

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many pages per year of experience do you recommend submitting for the required four years?

ALSO, do you hand-write or type?  What size font and do you double space?

NYS is very funny with the application process. Basically, they are looking for certain keywords in your application. Normally, when they deny your application, they tell you what is needed. My  first application was only credited 2.5yrs, although I had worked 4.5. So I needed to show 1.5 more years of experience. Make sure you have phases like "I designed .....", I calculated...., I used ... codes in my design. They love to see that. Good luck next time, and also start studying for the test. 

You think the application process is hard, the test is another beast. 

Goodluck
I second this. Do not use "I was responsible for..." or "I oversaw....".

I had a similar situation with my NYS application.  But first, I'll offer up my timeline comments.

Submitted my initial application in October to take the exam in April.  I received a rejection letter in mid-January after I had already started studying.

Recently I submitted my application for apply via comity (they took the $377 fee I paid for the initial application and applied it to the comity application) in December and was told that I would hear back in 1 to 3 months.

Okay, back to the application issue.  I applied right when I had 4 years of experience (2 years working in construction, 1 year of grad school and 1 year at a design firm).  I was rejected and told that I needed 1.5 more years of experience, similar to CairnNY, I was not given any explanation and was quite upset.  My solution was to take the exam in North Carolina, where the application process occurs after you sit for the exam.  I passed on the first try and North Carolina had no issue with my work experience.  I am assuming that they are highly critical of construction experience and are looking for pure design experience.  I don't have anything to back that up, but that is the only way I could justify it.

This month I spoke with NYSPE and changed my application from a new applicant to a comity application and submitted my NCEES record in the hopes of getting a license via comity.

Has anyone considered submitting a Freedom of Information Act request to see behind the curtain for these discussions?  I feel like the secretiveness of the whole process is really unnecessary.

I messaged NYS in October about my August Comity application. This is what they said:

[SIZE=10pt]Your application is under review.  You will be notified in writing of the Board’s determination.  Review time is approximately 8 to 16 weeks, depending upon the number of applications under review.  If you do not receive a response by mid January you may wish to contact the Board Office.[/SIZE]

I had a similar situation with my NYS application.  But first, I'll offer up my timeline comments.

Submitted my initial application in October to take the exam in April.  I received a rejection letter in mid-January after I had already started studying.

Recently I submitted my application for apply via comity (they took the $377 fee I paid for the initial application and applied it to the comity application) in December and was told that I would hear back in 1 to 3 months.

Okay, back to the application issue.  I applied right when I had 4 years of experience (2 years working in construction, 1 year of grad school and 1 year at a design firm).  I was rejected and told that I needed 1.5 more years of experience, similar to CairnNY, I was not given any explanation and was quite upset.  My solution was to take the exam in North Carolina, where the application process occurs after you sit for the exam.  I passed on the first try and North Carolina had no issue with my work experience.  I am assuming that they are highly critical of construction experience and are looking for pure design experience.  I don't have anything to back that up, but that is the only way I could justify it.

This month I spoke with NYSPE and changed my application from a new applicant to a comity application and submitted my NCEES record in the hopes of getting a license via comity.

Has anyone considered submitting a Freedom of Information Act request to see behind the curtain for these discussions?  I feel like the secretiveness of the whole process is really unnecessary.
Do you have an update on your comity application? I've been waiting since August for mines. And still no license

They must be looking at mine.....apparently they reached out to NCEES today to say that my FE results were not in my record.

Still nothing for me....I had to send them FE Exam results on top of my FE already being verified in the NCEES Record.

Do you have an update on your comity application? I've been waiting since August for mines. And still no license
Update:  Comity application rejected.  I really don't understand what is going on with New York.  I e-mailed back and forth with a staff member there trying to get more information, but I really have hit a wall.

Here is a brief summary.  My initial application (filed October 2016) was rejected and stated I needed 1.5 more years experience.  My comity application was rejected (filed November 2017) stating I need 1 more year of experience (or need to further justify the one year).  This is confusing to me since a year had past since I submitted my application.  I asked the women I had been corresponding with via e-mail if I could get any more information about what experience they are not counting or need further explanation about and she said that the Board does not share this information, which to me is a bad policy.

Additionally, it sounds like NYS is not a fan of the NCEES record since they asked that I resubmit forms 4 and 4A which require my prior supervisors to submit forms.  They are giving me one more chance to submit my application without paying an additional fee.  I think I am just going to start over and make sure that everything is explained very thoroughly.

If you are still waiting I would call the office and they will check on it for you.

Back