New PEs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
How many of you have filled out the form vouching for someone who has passed the exam? 

It didn't quite feel like I should be allowed to do so, but then I have to remember that my PE-ness is not so young anymore. 

I've done it several times.  Only times I've ever actually needed to use my stamp.

I also refused to fill out a recommendation once.  

I've done it several times.  Only times I've ever actually needed to use my stamp.

I also refused to fill out a recommendation once.  

It's the first thing I've stamped this year. 

I'll admit that I'm having issues with the guy, but not serious enough that I think he shouldn't be licensed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I worded that a bit harsh.  I declined to give a PE recommendation for this person because they were a different engineering discipline than me, and I wasn't familiar with their work.  I had no specific reason to believe they shouldn't be licensed.  On a personal level I had no issue with recommending them, and they did go on to get their license, just had trouble finding enough PEs to sign off since their employer was mostly unlicensed MEs.

I've heard of new PE's on this forum asking other members to fill out that form.  That's a bit shady since most of us have not worked with each other.

AFAIK, the licensing board doesn't come down on references if a PE gets in trouble with them.  Even if you vouch for them, they are still expected to be ethical all by themselves.

I have been a reference for other engineers, but not for anyone who has passed the test via decoupling.

I had someone from this forum ask me to be a reference. He's someone I "knew" well, but I had to be a dick and say that I didn't know squat about that person's engineering skills, so I declined.  (the person is no longer active here).

it seems odd that people in our industry wouldn't have enough people they work with to provide references over 5 years or so?

I can understand it.  Half the engineering managers around here don't even have PE's, especially those that deal mostly in procurement or construction engineering and don't do actual design work.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I think that's it. The guy who asked me was working in an industry without many PEs.

I've done it several times. 

Since I work in the consulting world, I get to do this a handful of times a year.

Latest posts

Back