New Movie Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched No country for old men last weekend.

It was a pretty good movie for first 3/4 but then quickly went downhill. Maybe I just didn't get it. :dunno:

I watched No country for old men last weekend.
It was a pretty good movie for first 3/4 but then quickly went downhill. Maybe I just didn't get it. :dunno:
It's one of those weird, cult type movies. I like weird movies, like this one, and Fargo, Raising Arizona, Repo Man, Clockwork Orange, etc. But sometimes they are a little slow. Generally they improve when you rewatch them and discuss them with other people.

My other favorite type of movie is anything to do with gangsters - any kind of gangster - Godfather, Goodfellas, American Gangster, Sopranos, Colors, American History X, the weird Russian gangster one where Viggo Mortensen fights in the sauna with some guys (I can't remember the name).

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw "Into the Wild" a couple of nights ago. I read the book back when it came out, and came away thinking that the kid was kind of an idiot. The movie kind of glamorizes him a little. But, even though it changed the overall impression I had of the guy, I liked what Sean Penn did with it. It's a good film and very thought proviking, with some overall uplifting sentiments in it. Even though he dies and it's really very sad, on the face of it (being a parent now has maybe changed the way I look at this story, too).

I have secretly been working on a movie theater in the basement and now it's close enough to finished that we can watch movies down there.

First up: 300 - Awesome!

Next: No Country for Old Men - Man, that's a disturbing mind trip right there. Definitely need a working group to sit down and figure that one out. Coen Brothers Raising Arizona meets Friday the 13th. Have you noticed that most of their movies contain several good old regular country folk saying funny things, and then at least one psychopathic killer?

Last weekend: 3:10 to Yuma - crap. Crap, crap, crap. Good thing I was home and not in the real theater as I yelled at the screen "THAT'S THE DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!". ... more than once.

For the kids - The Seeker - Crap, but I supposed the kids may have liked it.

Boy, I picked three Netflix losers this weekednd. Margot at the Wedding, Hitman, and Things we Lost in the Fire.

Honestly, I didn't even see the last one. After reading the sleeve, I said, 'Oh, we're not watching that depressing BS!" and put it back in the mail.

I just saw the coolest movie on NH public television - it was a modern animation of Peter and the Wolf. I missed the beginning though. I have to find out where to get it!

I thought 3:10 to Yuma was awesome. Great western theme of "do the right thing." I watched "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" last night. Another good western, but more of a gangster movie set in the west, than a western. Benbo ought to like that one.

I saw Horton Hears a Who, too last week with my daughter and niece. I thought it was only OK. Too much Jim Carrey for my tastes, and not enough Dr. Seuss.

I thought 3:10 to Yuma was awesome. Great western theme of "do the right thing." I watched "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" last night. Another good western, but more of a gangster movie set in the west, than a western. Benbo ought to like that one.
I saw Horton Hears a Who, too last week with my daughter and niece. I thought it was only OK. Too much Jim Carrey for my tastes, and not enough Dr. Seuss.
Maybe it's just me, but IMHO, Jim Carrey ahs gone the way of Andrew Dice Clay, his antics were funny for a while but now it's just ridiculous. I can't say as I can sit through any of his films any more.

I watched the last ten minutes of Mask the other day, and yeah, he's jumped the shark.

Best Jim Carrey movie: Pet Detective

Worst Jim Carrey movie: a tie between The Cable Guy and Liar Liar

His bad ones outnumber his good ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Jim Carrey movie: Pet Detective
Dumb and dumber is up there too - a true guilty pleasure. I use lines from it all the time:

What's the soup du jour?

The soup of the day

Oh, that sounds good. I'll have that.

or

kick his ass, Sea Bass!

I used that one at a fancy restaurant during a group dinner when my wife ordered the sea bass. the waiter was confused, my wife was mortified, but my buddies enjoyed it.

kick his ass, Sea Bass!
I used that one at a fancy restaurant during a group dinner when my wife ordered the sea bass. the waiter was confused, my wife was mortified, but my buddies enjoyed it.
That completely rocks ODB_PE !!! :th_rockon:

JR

Back