New Civil engineering graduate any ideas where to find a job

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When filling out the application for the Army corps they ask you what is the lowes grade you want to apply for what is the grade for a recent graduate like myseld should accept?

Also are there any engineers from the army corp that can give a hand with an interview or recommendation?

When filling out the application for the Army corps they ask you what is the lowes grade you want to apply for what is the grade for a recent graduate like myseld should accept?

Also are there any engineers from the army corp that can give a hand with an interview or recommendation?
They just hired a recent grad in our department and I believe they brought him in as a GS-7. When I was out of college that's what I came as also...not great, but it's an excellent place to work and unless you're a complete idiot it should only take a year or so to bump up to a GS-9. Technically, there are time-in-grade requirements before you jump up a level, but if you're willing to move for new positions you can jump up quicker too, i.e. there was a guy in our office who was an 11 for a few months but jumped up to a 12 by taking a job in Alaska then he jumped up to a 13 a little while after that when he took a job at Ft. Knox.

I am having the same problem too. Graduated in December 2009 with Civil Engineering, just found out I passed the FE exam, have prior intern experience, and nothing to show for it. I live in Jacksonville, FL, went to University of North Florida, and having been applying to entry level jobs (the few that are available) all across the southeast and have not had one interview, its pretty ridiculous.

http://www.getcivilengineeringjobs.com

http://www.getcivilengineeringjobs.com/hig...id-postings.php

I did not see anything in your resume on past interests. Did you achieve Eagle Scout rank with the Boy Scouts, were you involved with 4H? Future Farmers of America? Future Business Leaders of America? Do you now participate in any youth group activities as a leader? AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization)? BSA, FFA, 4H? Both my boys are still involved in Boy Scouts as Assistant Scout Masters, since achieving Eagle Scout Rank, have gotten the attention of local employers, both are employed and happy where they are.

What I am getting at is, it reminds me of the people your age doing a mock interview and saying "I'm a people person". I am predominantly speaking of Boy Scouts, because I am more familiar with it, having been a leader in the past myself for 13 years. I love hearing from my past scouts tell me that it made a difference when being hired for a job. There are plenty of worthwhile groups that you can participate in and you may find it to yours and your future companies benefit to be part of. I personally have gotten numerous jobs from my participation in BS and AYSO as well as one time doing a community clean up.

Just my two cents.

I am having the same problem too. Graduated in December 2009 with Civil Engineering, just found out I passed the FE exam, have prior intern experience, and nothing to show for it. I live in Jacksonville, FL, went to University of North Florida, and having been applying to entry level jobs (the few that are available) all across the southeast and have not had one interview, its pretty ridiculous.
I was born and raised in Jacksonville! After my freshman year of college, I did an internship at Haskell in town there. I thought that it was a good company; I enjoyed my internship there. They are a big design/build firm, with engineers and architects in the same building. Granted, I did my internship in the summer of '97, so things may have changed. I just checked their website (http://www.thehaskellco.com), and they are currently only looking for a mechanical engineer. I would still send in a resume so that they have it on file, if you are interested in staying in J-action-ville. Good luck!

http://www.getcivilengineeringjobs.comhttp://www.getcivilengineeringjobs.com/hig...id-postings.php

I did not see anything in your resume on past interests. Did you achieve Eagle Scout rank with the Boy Scouts, were you involved with 4H? Future Farmers of America? Future Business Leaders of America? Do you now participate in any youth group activities as a leader? AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization)? BSA, FFA, 4H? Both my boys are still involved in Boy Scouts as Assistant Scout Masters, since achieving Eagle Scout Rank, have gotten the attention of local employers, both are employed and happy where they are.

What I am getting at is, it reminds me of the people your age doing a mock interview and saying "I'm a people person". I am predominantly speaking of Boy Scouts, because I am more familiar with it, having been a leader in the past myself for 13 years. I love hearing from my past scouts tell me that it made a difference when being hired for a job. There are plenty of worthwhile groups that you can participate in and you may find it to yours and your future companies benefit to be part of. I personally have gotten numerous jobs from my participation in BS and AYSO as well as one time doing a community clean up.

Just my two cents.
I have done many activities outside school that are on my resume. I have been a student youth leader at a local church for 4 years, coached a fall ball team at terry parker high school for a season, and other extra curricular activities dealing with kids and it doesn't seem to help. It's not at widely known as the boy scouts but it is something.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville! After my freshman year of college, I did an internship at Haskell in town there. I thought that it was a good company; I enjoyed my internship there. They are a big design/build firm, with engineers and architects in the same building. Granted, I did my internship in the summer of '97, so things may have changed. I just checked their website (http://www.thehaskellco.com), and they are currently only looking for a mechanical engineer. I would still send in a resume so that they have it on file, if you are interested in staying in J-action-ville. Good luck!
Thanks FL Buff,

I can't remember if I have sent them them a resume or not. I have sent out so many to firms in Jacksonville and other places it's hard to keep up with, but I will check them. They are a very good company, I did my internship at Kimley-Horn and Associates and it was a great internship!

http://www.getcivilengineeringjobs.comhttp://www.getcivilengineeringjobs.com/hig...id-postings.php

Just my two cents.
I have done many activities outside school that are on my resume. I have been a student youth leader at a local church for 4 years, coached a fall ball team at terry parker high school for a season, and other extra curricular activities dealing with kids and it doesn't seem to help. It's not at widely known as the boy scouts but it is something.
Absolutely!

I should start posting in here when NYC is putting up Engineering jobs, or even Project manager positions when they come up.

I have been talking to some people here at work and i might have a chance for a job but is a water resource control engineer job, but what I want to do is structural engineering is difficult to decide because there is really nothing else out there. And this is what i am going to do the rest of my life. Also is difficult to find a structural engineering job without any experience, i am going to start volunteering with a structural engineering firm starting next year to get some experience. So maybe i can take the job and volunteer one day since here in CA state agencies have fridays off.

I'm on a similar boat like yours Lara. Hell I'd take anything right now, be it water resource control engineer job or whatever civil engineering related.

You can check with the Corps of Engineers for something, especially if you're willing to relocate. If your GPA was above, I think it was 3.50, you get bonus points in the selection process. The official USACE website is cpol.army.mil, it is NOT USAJobs. It's pretty easy to go to the site and put your resume and info in and submit it into the system. Once you get it all in there, applying for jobs takes about 20 seconds. If you have any trouble let me know.
Aw... come on, jeb! Everyone knows NAVFAC is one step above the CoE!

lara: let me know if you're interested in NAVFAC... send me a PM.

I recently completed an application with CH2MHILL does anybody work there that can give a recommendation or help me at least with an interview.
They are a pretty good company with a solid reputation in the environmental field. I think if you targeted an office (or an office manager) you should at least be able to squeeze an interview.

Also, have you considered Bechtel Coroporation - they have geared up hiring with the thought that nuclear will be the next big push for energy and that there will be a need for lots of work.

I have a B.S. from University of Florida and M.S. from Florida State University with a professional engineer registration and 12 yrs experience. I left Florida for Michigan because I would actually get interviews and even 2nd interviews but it always seemed that the company was not going to offer a decent salary/benefit package or there was some bait and switch tactic.

My advice is perserverance - it will take that to get employed in this market because there are so many different things happening at different companies. In the long run your attitude is everything and you will need to be prepared to offer up some concessions in order to get the job you want or at least to begin blazing a trail to the job that you want.

Good luck!

I have been talking to some people here at work and i might have a chance for a job but is a water resource control engineer job, but what I want to do is structural engineering is difficult to decide because there is really nothing else out there. And this is what i am going to do the rest of my life. Also is difficult to find a structural engineering job without any experience, i am going to start volunteering with a structural engineering firm starting next year to get some experience. So maybe i can take the job and volunteer one day since here in CA state agencies have fridays off.
For the experience you want to show in order to get the job that you want, volunteering isn't going to get you very far. You would be better off taking an engineering job that offers some growth and experience and demonstrate thru that job that you can perform well as an engineer. If you aren't happy with that job give yourself a plan - whether it is a one year plan or a five year plan to get that experience and use that experience to leverage yourself into the job that you really want. As I said above, this is a tough economy and many of us are simply not getting it our way. We have to sacrifice - that may mean less salary, fewer benefits, non-ideal job ... but always remember to keep you eye on the goal and not let the first job out of the chute be viewed as what you are going to do for the rest of your life. I can promise your life will take many, many turns and what you do today certainly influences the rest of your life but it doesn't dictate it ... for better or worse.

Good luck!

JR

I recently completed an application with CH2MHILL does anybody work there that can give a recommendation or help me at least with an interview.
They are a pretty good company with a solid reputation in the environmental field. I think if you targeted an office (or an office manager) you should at least be able to squeeze an interview.

Also, have you considered Bechtel Coroporation - they have geared up hiring with the thought that nuclear will be the next big push for energy and that there will be a need for lots of work.

I have a B.S. from University of Florida and M.S. from Florida State University with a professional engineer registration and 12 yrs experience. I left Florida for Michigan because I would actually get interviews and even 2nd interviews but it always seemed that the company was not going to offer a decent salary/benefit package or there was some bait and switch tactic.

My advice is perserverance - it will take that to get employed in this market because there are so many different things happening at different companies. In the long run your attitude is everything and you will need to be prepared to offer up some concessions in order to get the job you want or at least to begin blazing a trail to the job that you want.

Good luck!

For the experience you want to show in order to get the job that you want, volunteering isn't going to get you very far. You would be better off taking an engineering job that offers some growth and experience and demonstrate thru that job that you can perform well as an engineer. If you aren't happy with that job give yourself a plan - whether it is a one year plan or a five year plan to get that experience and use that experience to leverage yourself into the job that you really want. As I said above, this is a tough economy and many of us are simply not getting it our way. We have to sacrifice - that may mean less salary, fewer benefits, non-ideal job ... but always remember to keep you eye on the goal and not let the first job out of the chute be viewed as what you are going to do for the rest of your life. I can promise your life will take many, many turns and what you do today certainly influences the rest of your life but it doesn't dictate it ... for better or worse.

Good luck!

JR
So you dont think volunteer work, doesnt really help me out. And for CH2MHILL they have openings for recent graduates so I submitted my application to a specific job, but I don't know where to go from there. I haven't applied with Bechtel, I will look into any opportunities with them and see what happens.

Your GPA is too high to work in my group...shave it down to 2.2 or something, fail the FE at least 3 times, and then send your resume to me...you'll fit right in with the clowns here..

2 years ago people graduating from my school were getting 2 or 3 offers, this one person had nine, and here I am cant even get an interview.

2 years ago was a very different career climate. I'd be interested to know how many of them are still employed.

Back