New Civil engineering graduate any ideas where to find a job

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lara123

Reaction score
I just graduated last friday w/ civil engineering degree. I have submitted my resume to many comapnies but nothing. Any ideas where I can apply or what to do.

I just graduated last friday w/ civil engineering degree. I have submitted my resume to many comapnies but nothing. Any ideas where I can apply or what to do.
What form of civil? Geotech, structural, general civil, water resources, environmental? Congratulations on graduation!

Don't let these guys get you down, most of them are joking anyway. What State/city are you in?

As long as you are open to relocating, and you went to a real Engineering School you can find a job.

A lot of smaller firms out West post jobs on Craiglist this might be a good way to get your foot in the door.

Don't let these guys get you down, most of them are joking anyway. What State/city are you in?
As long as you are open to relocating, and you went to a real Engineering School you can find a job.

A lot of smaller firms out West post jobs on Craiglist this might be a good way to get your foot in the door.
^^ That's true... I was joking. There are jobs to be had out there if you are willing to relocate. Are you looking for a geographic region? B.S. and/or M.S.? Bridges, buildings? Any thoughts?

I am currently in CA, but i dont mind moving to any part of the US. I graduated with my BS and I am waiting on my results for my EIT. But i am going to look into craigslist maybe i find something there. Maybe one of you can help me review my resume and help me with my chances of getting a job.

I am currently in CA, but i dont mind moving to any part of the US. I graduated with my BS and I am waiting on my results for my EIT. But i am going to look into craigslist maybe i find something there. Maybe one of you can help me review my resume and help me with my chances of getting a job.
Just take out the personal information from the resume and post it here for review. I am sure you will get a lot of valuable feedback. If you are uncomfortable doing that then start messaging your resume to everyone on the board!! Someone will reply, maybe. j/k.

OBJECTIVE: Hardworking and driven individual pursuing a full time position in the field of Civil Engineering with a company where I can utilize and expand my skills.

HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS:

•Proficient in AutoCAD, Risa 3D, Sap 2000

•Proficient with Microsoft Office

•Able to work in a team or alone

•Positive attitude and adapt well to new situations and environments

•Bilingual-Fluent in English/Spanish

•Strong mathematical and analytical skills

EDUCATION: California State University, Fresno

Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, December 2009

3.77 Major GPA

Reedley College, Madera, CA

Associate of Arts Degree, December 2005

RELEVANT COURSE WORK: Environmental Engineering, Engineering Surveying, Vector Mechanics & Dynamics, Intro. To Transportation Engineering, Hydraulics – Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Economics, Mechanics of Materials, Structural Analysis, Concrete Laboratory, Soils Laboratory, Engineering Mechanics- Statics , Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Graphics, Mechanics of Materials Laboratory, Construction Materials, Basic building systems, Construction Labor Relations Law, Construction Law, Contracts and Specifications, Steel Design, Reinforce Concrete Design, Geotechnical Design, Seismic Analysis, Foundation Design, Timber Design.

WORK

EXPERIENCE: California Regional Water Quality Control Board Fresno, CA

•Engineering Student Assistant 4/2008 to Present

•Review discharger self monitoring reports for compliance with the NPDES program

•Process annual storm water reports

•Familiar with storm water pollution prevention plan (SWPPP)

•Review work plans for landfills

•Contact dischargers regarding incomplete reports and violations

•Assist engineers with research, data collections, graphics, and technical reports

•Help maintain and extrapolate data from statewide tracking database

•Inspections/Inspection Reports

Iverson Contracting Madera, CA

•Laborer/Crew leader 4/2006 to 4/2008

•Residential and commercial remodeling-from ground up

•Install and move water, gas, drain pipes

•Install doors, windows, cabinets, electrical lines and more

•Add new rooms to existing houses

•Install sheet rock, mud work, texture, paint

AFFILIATIONS: American Society of Civil Engineers

Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers

Tau Beta Pi

REFERENCES: Available upon request

any ideas for my resume
This is just my opinion, having seem literally thousands of resumes within the last few years. Not everybody agrees with what should and should not be on a resume, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

One thing some people forget, if you're putting your resume on the Internet (such as Monster and Careerbuilder), is to be sure to cover any keywords employers may be searching for. For example, you spell out Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. I also would put (BSCE). For location, I would add California (CA) after Fresno. For if somebody is searching for a BSCE in CA, they'll find you. Even within your experience section, think about what someone may be searching for.

Your objective is too generic. Everybody claims they're hardworking and everybody wants a company to utilize their skills. You really need to state more specifically what you've done, what you want and where you want it. For example, "entry-level Civil Engineer with 3.7 GPA and experience in water resources seeking a position in California with a (consulting firm or whatever you want to say)." In fact, it's better to customize this based on who you're sending it to. I have actually received resumes stating that the person was seeking a position with (my company - by name). That's going too far, but you get the idea.

In "HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS," I would add some stuff related to your experience.

"•Strong mathematical and analytical skills" - I certainly hope so if you're an engineer. I would leave that out.

Putting "REFERENCES: Available upon request" is unnecessary. A lot of people do it, but to me it's a worthless statement. If somebody wants your references, they'll ask you for them, whether you have that statement or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was applying to multiple firms, I had my general resume, but would include a customized cover letter for each company. That way, I could show that I had done some research on the company (mention specific projects that the company has worked on that interest you). I also could expound a little more on my career objectives and interests.

I would suggest specifically targeting companies that do Enviromental Engineering. It seems you have experience in the field potential employers like that.

Also, I know it is hard to do but follow up is huge. If you apply for a specific job posting after you send in your application/resume call them to see that they have it and ask if they need further info. I actually got an interview for what turned into my first Engineering job this way.

If you get an interview, and don't make you an offer, call a couple days after and try to guage interest and answer any further questions they might have.

Also, try to show you are enthusiastic about the position and engineering in the interview. The guy that shows up either half asleep or seems unmotivated will in no way get a job if I can hire someone else. Drink a Red Bull pre interview if it is early in morning and you aren't sufficiently awake.

Also if none of this works, take a look at Manufacturing Companies and working in Management. Lots of companies like to have engineers in these manufacturing supervision types of positions. Also look into Engineering Sales as you are a woman, and might have more people skills than most of the guys -it might be something to get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did think of something else, as I presume you are young lady.

Ensure whoever you contact of Craigslist are who they say they are.

ie If they ask you to meet them at their house/apartment or any other non-public place I would politely decline.

Judging from your GPA I doubt you need my advice, but you do hear of bad stories about people online etc.

thanks for the advice but i am a guy Lara is my last name but i get that alot online I should use something else as my username.

I recently completed an application with CH2MHILL does anybody work there that can give a recommendation or help me at least with an interview.

When I was applying to multiple firms, I had my general resume, but would include a customized cover letter for each company. That way, I could show that I had done some research on the company (mention specific projects that the company has worked on that interest you). I also could expound a little more on my career objectives and interests.
Even if you send a cover letter, I would still customize the objective. Sometimes the cover letter doesn't get passed along to everybody within the company. If your objective matches their open position, believe me, that goes a long way towards getting the job.

Also, D. Kephart is so right about enthusiasm in the interview. Even if you're not that enthusiastic about the company or the job, act like you are because if you don't, you're absolutely wasting your time. Also, I suggest in a first interview to focus on the company and the job itself, and not to ask too many questions about money, benefits, work hours, etc. You'll be able to find out that stuff later on. Asking about it in the first interview makes you sound like that's all you're really interested in.

You can check with the Corps of Engineers for something, especially if you're willing to relocate. If your GPA was above, I think it was 3.50, you get bonus points in the selection process. The official USACE website is cpol.army.mil, it is NOT USAJobs. It's pretty easy to go to the site and put your resume and info in and submit it into the system. Once you get it all in there, applying for jobs takes about 20 seconds. If you have any trouble let me know.

Back