NCEES Power #115

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike123

Reaction score
Anyone know how to enter the below formula work out the area under the curve using the CASIO fx-115MS

Answer = 1/pi * integrate Sin(x) between 45deg and 180deg ?

Answer = 0.543A

I think you are actually asking about question #115.

Not knowing anything about the Casio, I have to ask why you wouldn't just do the integration manually?

The integral of sin x is -cos x

All you need are the value for pi, cos 45o, and cos 180o

cos 180o = -1

cos 45o = 1/sqrt2

It's simple algebra from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good spot. The question number indeed should read #115 and not 114. I would fix but I can't figure out how to do it.

Just though I should learn how to use the calculator as a way to double check the answer, and to save a precious minute. Especially if there are a number of integration problem during the exam. The minute saved adds up.

First, change to radians: [shift] [Mode] [4]

Then:

Code:
∫(sin(X),(π/4), π)

ANS/ π =

The '/' is the 'divided by' operator, I don't seem to have a symbol for it.

The time it takes the calculator to solve the integral is probably ~60 sec. or so, so be patient.

This gives the correct answer but I agree with Flyer, it's faster and easier to do the integration manually.

If this problem (115) had instead asked for the RMS value of the current, would the correct answer be 0.674 amps?

Coming back to this question, why do they use radians (1/pi) prior to the integral, but then degrees (45 - 180) after the integral sign? The handbook shows everything being in radians (before and after the integral) for the equation. When using radians for the entire equation, I'm getting a different answer than 0.543A. I'm getting 0.00044A. 

Back