My Distribution and Possible Score

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeysVee

MASTER SPAMMER!
Reaction score
I took the ME PE (thermal fluids afternoon). I see many of you coming up with scores based on your distribution. So how are you doing this? I'm curious to see just how bad I did. This will help me determine if and when I will retake this exam.

Thanks guys!

:cig:

Determining the morning distribution is easy, as there are 8 questions for each discipline. Just work backwards using the diagnostic percentages....

The principle is the same for the afternoon, except you don't know the exact breakdown of questions like the morning. Using the percentages again, you can estimate how many problems for each topic, keeping in mind a total number of 40 problems.

Determining the morning distribution is easy, as there are 8 questions for each discipline. Just work backwards using the diagnostic percentages....
The principle is the same for the afternoon, except you don't know the exact breakdown of questions like the morning. Using the percentages again, you can estimate how many problems for each topic, keeping in mind a total number of 40 problems.
Mechanical/Thermal Fluids from NCEES website (an engineer in my office and I found this for him to use) - it's under exam specification or something like that. You have to multiply the % by 40 to get the number of questions in each area......

AM

General - Codes and Standards - Engineering Principles - 6

General - Codes and Standards - Fundamental Engineering Practice - 5

General - Codes and Standards - Interpretation of codes and standards - 1

MD & Materials - Principles - 5

MD & Materials - Applications - 2

Hydraulics & Fluids - Principles - 3

Hydraulics & Fluids - Applications - 4

Energy Conversion/Power Systems - Principles - 4

Energy Conversion/Power Systems - Analyses - 3

HVAC - Principles - 7

PM

Fundamentals - Engineering Principles - 9

Fundamentals - Supportive Knowledges - 4

Components - Hydraulic System Components - 6

Components - Power Plant Components - 8

Applications - System Applications - 10

Applications - Supportive Knowledges - 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Well those numbers aren't exactly correct because the math doesn't work out with my percentages. ie. I got 2.68 questions correct in the Hydraulics & Fluids - Applications - 4 section because I got 67% correct.

I guess you really can't figure out your score it's just based on averages, right?

Well those numbers aren't exactly correct because the math doesn't work out with my percentages. ie. I got 2.68 questions correct in the Hydraulics & Fluids - Applications - 4 section because I got 67% correct.
I guess you really can't figure out your score it's just based on averages, right?
I called the guy in my office and we rechecked his math. He said it should have been 4 possible questions for Principles and 3 for applications. He said that may explain why he failed - he can't do simple math.......

So that means you got 2 out of 3 for that section?

If you got 67% correct, then it had to have been either 2/3 or 4/6

Scan your diagnostic, and I'll show ya how I did it.

DVINNY calculated my score and it looks like I got a 38. Looks like I got a ways to go to pass this thing!

(((Other ME's, does your # of questions per subject concur with what DVINNY calculated for mine? What he calculated is probably right but if we get 2 or 3 of us together I bet we could nail the # of questions per subject down and know for sure.)))

Well I guess it's time to hit the books! My score SUCKS!!! :brick:

I wish I knew what the cut score was! :dunno:

DistributionJoey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry the first test I took was the STR I. I figured I got a 48. And I passed this time.

I think they need to add a few more sections to that exam.

Damn how do you even divy up the time to prepare for all thoe different modules?

Which ME module did you take? I did HVAC and I felt like MERM was a let down, I also used the sample test and the 6 minute solutions. Dont know if it worked yet - Still awaiting a score

Well, I'd say it's fairly close, the only thing I was thinking was that Joey may be at like 40 or more. The zero's screw it up, and make it hard to figure out. I don't think I have those zero's right.

One of the 33%'s may be 2/6 instead of 1/3 which would give him one more right, and drop the one 0/5 to 0/2, which would make more sense.

The one that was 100% is difficult too, because it could be 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4, etc. etc.

Your 83, 80, 25, 67, 71, 44, 38, and 20% ones, those have to be correct.

So, if we could get somebody elses to help trouble shoot the # of problems in the categories that Joey got 33%, 0%, and 100%

Which ME module did you take? I did HVAC and I felt like MERM was a let down, I also used the sample test and the 6 minute solutions. Dont know if it worked yet - Still awaiting a score
Hey kitty cat, I took thermal/fluids afternoon module...and you???

:cig:

I took the HVAC in the pm. My score was an 82. I'll let you know the breakdown if I get it in the mail.

Latest posts

Back