Mug shots

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can still drive into Canada and back until the end of 2007. Flying in you need a passport as of Jan, 1st 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I was driving up to Canada a few years back, the same way I've done with the family every other summer for about 30 years (pre 9-11), with three kids in the car, two of them actually mine since my other one was in the car behind with her cousin and I was carrying an extra nephew, no wife with us since she didn't fancy driving to Canada, and I come to the border crossing.

"Are these all your children?" . . . . Um, no. (Bad answer)

"Do you have passports for them?" . . . Um, no. (Bad answer #2)

"Do you have birth certificates" . . . Um, no. (This conversation is heading rapidly down the toilet)

"Do you have proof that they're yours?" . . . Um, well no, and one isn't mine, only two are.

"Where's your wife" . . . Um, she's not here.

"How do I know you're not kidnapping these children?" . . . Um, because my mom in the car behind will vouch for me? (Officer looks back; Grammy in the convertible behind us waves enthusiastically at the nice Border Patrol Agent)

"Pull to the side sir" . . .

I was thinking I had one more summer before the rules tightened but apparently I'm a moron. End of the story is they let me CALL my wife and hand them the cell phone (apparently they're morons too) and she told them it was ok for me to take her kids to Canada, but that they'd better keep a close watch on me because I was a troublemaker.

Next time - passports, births certs, and DNA match papers all the way around.

Then the US guy gave me grief a week later for smuggling my kids BACK INTO the country.

Well I'll be driving since Canada is only a stones throw from here.

My husband and I went up with our son about 2 years ago. I had everything prepared -- passports for both of us, birth certificate for him. Even though we were just visiting and had all the paperwork I was still nervous approaching the border...?? The guy didn't even look at the papers -- he asked a couple questions (where are you going? how long are you staying?) and waved us through. I guess they've tightened up security since then!

I was up boating in lake memphramagog, which spans the US - Canada border with some friends over 4th of July weekend many years ago. we hit the prop coming back into the marina in VT on July 4th, and the marina store was closed for the holiday! so we drove up to canada for parts. after 3 trips back and forth getting the parts right, they figured we were up to no good and decide to shake us down. after 10 minutes of questioning, he asks to see what's in the glove compartment, I tell him it's jammed. He says he's got a crowbar, I managed to pry it open. hoser.

Back