Mount for my AR15

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I mounted the scope, I used the iron sights, standing without support, at 60 yards and had 8 of 9 within a fist. Pretty good, I thought. Could be the support or my eye relief. I didnt pay attention to keeping that consistent. I've got the support pretty tight. With my minimal sharp shooting skills, is there a way I can verify a loose mount?

Wow, not to beat a dead horse but I hunt elk out west here and at most I use a 9x scope.

Check out Sightron Scopes. Mainly when buying scopes (at least for something you are going to keep) ensure that the optics are "coated" --it makes a huge difference.

I haven't shot 5.56 since the army but if I had one, I would probably look for either a 4x fixed or a 3-7x variable at most.

But for the sake of your neighbors, buy a nice shotgun for home defense and leave the AR in the cabinet for those bumps in the night! ;)

Also, be aware of fouling effects and heating of the barrel and the effects on accuracy.

I'd also look at your ammunition too. Different rifles shoot different bullets/loads more accuarately than others. I have quite trying to figure out why, but there are more factors that you can imagine.

Take this procedure that I use for zeroing my hunting rifles.

shoot 3 rounds at 25 yards, Pause 1 minute after each shot. adjust scope to zero.

Wait until barrel isn't warm to touch. Shoot 3 more rounds, pausing 3 minutes in between shots (to allow for cooling).

If I am within 1 inch I move to 100 yards.

then basically the same scenario at 100 yards. 1 shot wait 3 min, etc etc.

Now if you want to change ammo (bullet weight) you almost have to start all over again.

but, there isn't really a reason to move out to 100 yards if you aren't driving tacks at 25-50 yards. Do that first.

Thanks for the input. I need all the help I can get. The scope is a little overkill for this gun but I didnt get it for HD (I have a few others for that).

rq59V.gif

Back