Most annoying accent

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand doing it deliberately, but on more than one occasion, I will find my speech naturally bias towards a southern drawl when speaking with someone who also has a thick southern accent.  I'm surprised I've been able to stay as neutral as I have in all honesty.  
Seriously, I'm orig from Louisiana and had the "Cajun" accent until I moved to Texas. When I first moved here, I couldn't understand anyone. Now I have picked up that distinct Texas drawl! People around me sound normal, and my Louisiana fam and friends sound a little off.

At a conference years ago, I found myself drinking with some consultants. The one was from Louisiana and I swear he was not speaking English toward the end. I kept turning to people to see if they could interpret. 
He may not have been, many from Louisiana are bilingual. If he was drinking....well if he was drunk, no. He was speaking Cajun French.

Last edited by a moderator:
One word I may say in a Texas accent, but do not pronounce like a native Texan.

Arab....just heard a guy pronounce it Aa-raaab.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you think the Middle East is all the same and interchange "towel heads" with "Moslims" and whatnot, you probably say it Long A  Arab. 

Back