Most annoying accent

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
I was talking to a lady Saturday night and I was trying to place her accent. She then volunteered she's from Northern Illinois (not Chicago) and I thought, "This has got to be the most annoying accent in America."

Then I wondered what other people can't stand. 

I'd like to give a runner's up mention to whatever that Boston accent is that makes people sound ever so slightly like they are deaf. Not like the stereotypical Boston- there's a subset. 

you mean the loud, obnoxious, arrogant Boston accent?

you mean the loud, obnoxious, arrogant Boston accent?
No, it legitimately sounds like the person has a speech impediment, much like how a deaf person talks. The first time I heard it was on TV, when CT was on The Real World-Paris back in the early 2000s. The next time I heard it was co-worker's spouse. It's like the normal Boston accent, but like they are biting their tongue while trying to speak. 

hey now...I've never understood what people think a Chicago accent is...I know there are certain words that are typical chicagoan. and I have been told i had a chicago accent I haven't the foggiest what it is 

I don't mind the Boston accent, but the female (loud) version is  no -go - on the same level as a female New Jersey accent..

we had a guy from Boston in Basic Training and the drill sgt's were always making him read stuff so they could have some fun at his accents expense..

I can't stand the uneducated southern Illinois mouth full of cotton I can't understand a word you are saying accent.  

Tom Menino was a long time Boston Mayor whose speech was always slurred.  He had the unofficial nickname "Mumbles" because he was hard to understand.  His succesor (and current mayor) Marty Walsh sounds almost as bad.

A vendor from the south thought I had a Boston accent.   No one from the western side of the state where I grew up has the accent.   Wonder if it is contagious.  

hey now...I've never understood what people think a Chicago accent is...I know there are certain words that are typical chicagoan. and I have been told i had a chicago accent I haven't the foggiest what it is 
Chicago is both nasally and flat to my ears. It lacks all the charm of the northern states around it, like Michigan, Wisconsin, and just sounds clangy to me. 

I'm not sure I find any particular accent annoying, but I can't f'ng stand people who adopt an accent for the sake of making themselves out to be something they are not.  For example just about every pickup truck driving cowboy-hat wearing westerner and now Alaskan, who all talk like they're from the south, but I know **** well that people before them from these same places never talked that way. :eek:ldman:  

I'm not sure I find any particular accent annoying, but I can't f'ng stand people who adopt an accent for the sake of making themselves out to be something they are not.  For example just about every pickup truck driving cowboy-hat wearing westerner and now Alaskan, who all talk like they're from the south, but I know **** well that people before them from these same places never talked that way. :eek:ldman:  
I don't understand doing it deliberately, but on more than one occasion, I will find my speech naturally bias towards a southern drawl when speaking with someone who also has a thick southern accent.  I'm surprised I've been able to stay as neutral as I have in all honesty.  

The TV said they developed their own accents, and the TV never lies. I have only been to Alaska once, but I don't remember any annoying accents.

It's kind of funny, I've got a couple projects in extreme rural areas of CO and I get instant "street Cred" with the farmers and locals for being from the south.

They all tend to dislike people from "the city" I.e. Denver... Even though I am basically a city boy.. I guess (the mild) accent I have makes it appear that I grew up on a farm picking cotton or something...

In the city I think it (accent) makes people think I have a gun in the truck and will probably shoot them or something. So it's really a benefit that way as well :)

It's kind of funny, I've got a couple projects in extreme rural areas of CO and I get instant "street Cred" with the farmers and locals for being from the south.

They all tend to dislike people from "the city" I.e. Denver... Even though I am basically a city boy.. I guess (the mild) accent I have makes it appear that I grew up on a farm picking cotton or something...

In the city I think it (accent) makes people think I have a gun in the truck and will probably shoot them or something. So it's really a benefit that way as well :)

Back