Most annoying accent

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Mild" accent?!

I'm an accent mishmosher, personally. My life began in Maine, my mom is from New Jersey, my dad has a bit of a midwestern twang, and I find all accents kinda fascinating. I admit that Rs are hard to include in my everyday speech, but I try really hard to include them. Living in a military town means there's a lot of accents flying around. 

I find the Rocky Mountains don't have an accent so much as full on vernacular. For instance, a person here would say, "The lawn needs mowed," rather than "The lawn need to be mowed." The be-verb gets left out. 

When TV shows and movies portray us, it's awkward. Taking Chance (http://www.chancephelps.org and http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-soldiers-story-taking-chance) ends in a small WY town. You would have thought that Dubois was in the middle of Tennessee in the HBO movie that featured Kevin Bacon. 

Fun fact- Matthew Morrison from Glee plays a cowboy in a bar scene in that movie. 

Second fun fact- You can pick out the tourists easily in this state. They're the ones wearing cowboy hats. 

I have lived in the Boston area all my life.  I don't notice my accent, but when I meet people from out of town, they often comment on it immediately.

I get a chuckle out of hollywood movies based in Boston as the actors seemed to try so hard (pronounced "haaaad") they exaggerate the accent so much it's trully comical.

In true Boston fashion, if you find my accent annoy.  F&%K YOUSE!

I don't know how exaggerated it is.  I had to stop for directions once in Boston.  Guy talked for about 5 minutes, and I didn't understand a single f*cking word he said.

When my father in law goes to the Cuban restaurants and tries to order in a spanish accent yet sounds italian

Not necessarily annoying, but usually I can tell pretty quick if someone is from SW Penn, i.e. Shitsburgh, by their accent. Dad grew up there so we would go visit family a lot when I was younger.

"Mild" accent?!I'm an accent mishmosher, personally. My life began in Maine, my mom is from New Jersey, my dad has a bit of a midwestern twang, and I find all accents kinda fascinating. I admit that Rs are hard to include in my everyday speech, but I try really hard to include them. Living in a military town means there's a lot of accents flying around. 

I find the Rocky Mountains don't have an accent so much as full on vernacular. For instance, a person here would say, "The lawn needs mowed," rather than "The lawn need to be mowed." The be-verb gets left out. 

When TV shows and movies portray us, it's awkward. Taking Chance (http://www.chancephelps.org and http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-soldiers-story-taking-chance) ends in a small WY town. You would have thought that Dubois was in the middle of Tennessee in the HBO movie that featured Kevin Bacon. 

Fun fact- Matthew Morrison from Glee plays a cowboy in a bar scene in that movie. 

Second fun fact- You can pick out the tourists easily in this state. They're the ones wearing cowboy hats. 
Mam, I'm a gonna make you some sweet tea and some apple pie tonight...

I don't know how exaggerated it is.  I had to stop for directions once in Boston.  Guy talked for about 5 minutes, and I didn't understand a single f*cking word he said.
get the faaaak autta heearre!

This ain't Maine you know.

I don't particularly have an accent (I'm from NE Florida), but can drop into a southern drawl pretty easily. And, yes, I can confirm that RG has a "mild" southern accent. If you have ever been to SW Georgia/Alabammy/Mississippi, you know I speak the truth.

The most annoying accent to me (hardest to understand) is Louisiana Creole/Cajun. Most grating on my nerves is the NJ/NY accent. Which is funny, because that is where my dad is from...luckily, he doesn't have a strong accent.

Another annoyance, when someone with a latin american background over emphasizes a spanish word/name a la miss america pageant. Quite annoying.

I don't particularly have an accent (I'm from NE Florida), but can drop into a southern drawl pretty easily. And, yes, I can confirm that RG has a "mild" southern accent. If you have ever been to SW Georgia/Alabammy/Mississippi, you know I speak the truth.

The most annoying accent to me (hardest to understand) is Louisiana Creole/Cajun. Most grating on my nerves is the NJ/NY accent. Which is funny, because that is where my dad is from...luckily, he doesn't have a strong accent.

At a conference years ago, I found myself drinking with some consultants. The one was from Louisiana and I swear he was not speaking English toward the end. I kept turning to people to see if they could interpret. 

my wife family is from south Georgia, they think I talk like a yankee, they have what I call an "accent"

The Cajun accent is definitely hard to pick up on. I've got a hint of an accent still and most people out here always ask where I'm from the first time I talk to them. No one is ever surprised when I say from the South. I don't know that I'd call it an accent or more vernacular, but Hawaiians have a unique way of talking. For instance, if they are asking you to try to find a solution to a problem, they will say "Try see..." instead of something like "Try to see if you...". If you can't do it, they will say "If can't, that's okay." Those are just two of the many things that are typical out here. That, and the "Ya/Yeah" said after almost every statement.

The Cajun accent is definitely hard to pick up on. I've got a hint of an accent still and most people out here always ask where I'm from the first time I talk to them. No one is ever surprised when I say from the South. I don't know that I'd call it an accent or more vernacular, but Hawaiians have a unique way of talking. For instance, if they are asking you to try to find a solution to a problem, they will say "Try see..." instead of something like "Try to see if you...". If you can't do it, they will say "If can't, that's okay." Those are just two of the many things that are typical out here. That, and the "Ya/Yeah" said after almost every statement.
finally tired of using all those vowels so they shorthand everything?! 

Back