MLB Playoffs 2009

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP - VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal
Reaction score
It's that time of year again when all of us baseball nuts in the Northeast are gearing up for the playoffs.

Anyone catch the tiebreaker game last night? What a game! I thought both teams had that won several times. And it even came on at a reasonable hour so I could watch the whole thing.

Given the lack of pennant races this year, this was a good game to reel fans who's teams were out of it back in.

I got no dog in this fight, my poor Mets were done by Memorial Day. Just looking forward to some exciting games.

My picks for the first round: Phils, Cards, Yanks, Sox

I agree last nights game was one of the better games I've seen.

I am a die hard Yankees fan and my husband is a die hard Red Sox fan so the playoffs are always fun in our house!

I agree with your predictions except for the Sox. Although I know they played the Angels well during the regular season I think they haven't played great recently and I'm not sure they have what it takes to get past them in the first round. But I wouldn't be surprised if the stepped it up in the post season because they do that often!

I'm still in mourning for the Tigers...no playoffs for me this year!
Unfortunately they were competing with the Twins for the "Who's going to lose to the Yankees inthe first round" award...

Gotta think the Rockies have a better chance than they did back in 2007 when they swept their way to the WS.

My 1st round predictions:

Rockies, Cards, Angels, Yankees.

Last edited:
Unfortunately they were competing with the Twins for the "Who's going to lose to the Yankees inthe first round" award...
The longer that game went and more pitchers used meant the more physically and emotionally exhausted the winner would be today for Game 1. Either would be at a real disadvantage today.

For the love of all things good I need the Cardinals and Rockies to play in Denver where I get tickets so I can watch the Cardinals beat them in some post season action!

For the love of all things good I need the Cardinals and Rockies to play in Denver where I get tickets so I can watch the Cardinals beat them in some post season action!
Dreamin' about Cards over Rox if it gets there. Rgular season: Rockies 6, Cardinals 1. We gotta take care of Philthadelphia first, though.

I'm still in mourning for the Tigers...no playoffs for me this year!
I know, that game was killer though! It was like a chess match, managers shuffling around outfielders between innings & I've never seen that many pitching substitutions! I think in one inning a bullpen Twin pitcher pitched only to 1 Tiger batter, got the K, and was pulled for next up. No i got zero horses in this race either. . .no ChiSox, no Tigers - F'n Twins about did the same G-d@mned thing last year to the Sox.

Dreamin' about Cards over Rox if it gets there. Rgular season: Rockies 6, Cardinals 1. We gotta take care of Philthadelphia first, though.
Good luck w/ that ;)

I haven't had a team in the playoffs... since.... well.... mid-nineties? damn Pittsburgh... can't seem to hold a baseball team together...

Yawn, I just can't seem to catch the "fever" that is MLB now that it seems they let almost everyone into the playoffs. I know, I know it keeps more teams "In It" but the season is 160 games long, do we really need all these playoff rounds? Soon the WS will be the World Series on Thanksgiving Day Classic.

Yawn, I just can't seem to catch the "fever" that is MLB now that it seems they let almost everyone into the playoffs.
Say what?! baseball's about the only pro sport where it comes down to the wire even over such a long season. Its still just the best of the East, Central, West division of both leagues, with a wildcard spot for each league to make playoffs easier (4 teams each league). Case in point, Tigers lead the AL central pretty much all season long only to be pimped out of the playoffs by the D-bag Twins (well, that & some September skidding).

Say what?! baseball's about the only pro sport where it comes down to the wire even over such a long season. Its still just the best of the East, Central, West division of both leagues, with a wildcard spot for each league to make playoffs easier (4 teams each league). Case in point, Tigers lead the AL central pretty much all season long only to be pimped out of the playoffs by the D-bag Twins (well, that & some September skidding).
I applaud this! I'm thinking the NBA is way more at fault for "post-season" play that actually seems to take 5-6 months. I don't think it's excessive at all.

^ NBA & NHL - for them, its like the regular season means nothing; making their playoffs are practically like getting in the phone book - everyone is in.

I actually think MLB Round 1 should be best of 7 too. . .but i guess best of 5 keeps it exciting (and the Cubs from making it past round 1 :rolleyes: ) - to part of D Kephart's point, i do think the Series is definitely pushing the envelope, weather-wise for the northern clubs. They probably could begin playoffs w/ one week remaining in Sept, rather than waiting till October.

[edit] and i applaud that kind of finish as well, even when on the losing end of it :bawling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat me to the punch.

Cards-Dodgers was the closest game last night, just on too late to watch much of it here. They are doing a better job of start times though than in past years. MLB is finally listening.

I remember wanting to watch the Mets in '99 in the first round at Arizona and the game started at 11 PM Eastern.

I'm off to Maine for the weekend, if the weather doesn't pan out, at least I can watch the games in the room.

Sunday will be a free-for-all once we get back late afternoon between the Pats game at 4 and all the MLB going on.

Back