MEP Electrical Eng. need advice on taking the architectural PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEP_Electrical

Reaction score
New to this board, I would appreciate any advice I can get.

I am electrical engineer, have been in the MEP industry for 15 years, have been out of school since world war II, thinking of taking the architectural PE exam instead of the electrical power exam.  It relates more to what I do, but I have one problem, my area of focus is electrical, and my knowledge when it comes to architectural, mechanical, plumbing and structural is very limited to what I have been exposed to while working on electrical design for MEP systems, to keep it short, it's neither much nor significant.  What are my chances of learning and passing?  the only source I could find is a sample exam with questions and answers through NCEES, nothing else.  How do you think I can prepare for the test?  what are the resources if any?  most sample exam solutions jump certain steps assuming that you know when in fact you don't and need every step explained.  I need help...Please...I want to pass and become a PE.   

You're an electrical engineer and you said your focus is electrical engineering even as you say architecture relates more to what you do, I think you should take the electrical power exam instead. A PE license is a PE license, it won't say architectural or electrical or whatever. I don't know anything about the architectural PE exam but I know that there are tons of resources for the electrical power exam. Even if you graduated million years ago, it's always going to be much easier to remember the basics of the topics you've already learnt before. I'm a mechanical engineer and I worked in the MEP industry for a little bit and I truly think the electrical power exam is the one for you.

Thank you Sheshtawy.  I reviewed the exam topics for both Power and Arch Eng., the Arch. Eng. is definitely the one that relates more to what I do.  IN the MEP industry, you are expected to know something about all other disciplines (Architectural, Structural, Mechanical, Fire Protection and Plumbing.  In fact, it's very helpful on your resume especially when you seek advancement to management positions where you would be representing the company and need to be able to cover pretty much any discussion.  So, the Arch Eng exam is probably more difficult for me to prepare for, but if I pass and learn all that stuff, it's a huge advantage, I know it because I am in this industry and it makes a big difference.  MY only problem is the lack of resources.  The school of PE seems to be the only one that offers a review course, but reviews by former students do not reflect a pleasant experience taking the course there, plus it's going to be online.   

Back