Mechanical Guys.....how do you think you did?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other frustrating thing is when they don't give you the info you need and you have to go look for some wild ass value in a reference (ie. ASHRAE) and you can't find the value you need to plug into an equation to get the answer. This is real frustrating when you know how to solve the problem but can't because you can't find some wild value in a reference. They should give you the info so you're being tested on how to apply the given info instead of testing you ability to find some value in a reference within 6 minutes.
I guess they are also testing on if you know what you need to find to solve the problem. Otherwise, if they gave you all the info, wouldn't that be similar to the FE? Just a thought.

And yes, I did have to find some wild ass reference a couple times.

I guess they are also testing on if you know what you need to find to solve the problem. Otherwise, if they gave you all the info, wouldn't that be similar to the FE? Just a thought.
And yes, I did have to find some wild ass reference a couple times.
It is time to settle down our mind. Otherwise we will be drive ourself crazy!

Several people are talking about how difficult the morning was. I thought it was kinda easy. I only guessed on 4 and had 3 educated guesses and I'm sure I made a few other mistakes but I felt very good on 33 of them...although after a few mistakes are included my score for the morning was probably around a 28. With that said, I thought it was the same level of difficulty as the 2008 NCEES sample exam. I didn't think it was bad at all.
The HVAC afternoon was pretty tough I thought. It was different than the specs...didn't have some things on it that I was counting on being there and did have some unexpected things on it...the afternoon is where I blew up.

:blowup:
This was how I felt this last spring. In fact my boss called me at lunch and asked if I passed and I told him if the afternoon was as easy as the morning I have it no problem.

When I finished the test I felt horrible, the afternoon(T&F) was definitely more difficult for me, but somehow or another I did pass in the end.

My second time taking the exam (machine depth). The first time IU took it I felt like I got at least 32 on the morning, but when I got to the afternoon part I was stuck bigtime. I ended up getting only around 18 on the afternoon section.

This time, I felt similar in the morning (like I got at least 35 correct, 3 were good guesses and 2 were just fill in the circle), but this time in the afternoon I felt really good, I got answers for about 34, and was really close on 5 and guessed on only one. So I feel really good about passing.

The big difference was on the first one I probably studied a 100 or so hours mostly on the morning stuff because I thought I knew all the afternoon stuff. Boy I was wrong, but this time I just went over Shigleys and looked at where the equations were and what they meant, and didnt solve any problems. This seemed to make all the difference in the world, as soon as I saw a problem I recognized right where it was in the book and was able to solve it pretty fast.

Passed in April, you guys enjoy the break that you have now. It took me three times and one of the worst parts about the test is the final three weeks that you are waiting for your score. So if you think you will forget the information, you may want to keep it fresh, otherwise take off until at least after Thanksgiving and enjoy some time. Maybe have a nice cold CAB.

I took the MD depth. As I mentioned before, this was my third attempt and I studied my ass off for all three (maybe 900 hours total). I have missed it with a 65 and then a 68. I was even better organized for this attempt. So how did I do? Put it this way, not as well as I wanted. For me the morning was more difficult than the afternoon. For me it is really just a time issue and not a technical issue as I know how to work the problems it just takes me longer than some I guess. I could have used another hour in both the morning and afternoon. I did finish but just barley and did not have time to review or check my work. To be honest it could go either way.

You will pass this time. There is not only one spot for passing. As long as you try your best and prepare a lot. I also try work almost 1000 hours in 6 month and also study last 2 months in lib and home for the weekend. I did one problems set, MERM and 7 sample exams. I also feel bad after the exam....but trust me there is not only you!

I tried to memorize the problems I guessed on. As a result, I have thought about them a lot and I just reworked one of those and I actually guessed the correct answer so I'm going to adjust my guessed score to a 53. I'm now saying, if I had to guess I would say I made a 53 out of 80 on the exam. In this range every point is soooo critical!

It's going to be close boys!

I tried to memorize the problems I guessed on. As a result, I have thought about them a lot and I just reworked one of those and I actually guessed the correct answer so I'm going to adjust my guessed score to a 53. I'm now saying, if I had to guess I would say I made a 53 out of 80 on the exam. In this range every point is soooo critical!
Don't panic...JV you will pass the PE exam this time because I haven't heard any guy can score to 53 or above (Mechanical-HVAC). I think this time the cut score point might be around 50. My input do not equal the output and this might be the last time I post here before the result coming in late Jan or never. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:

I know I tended to focus on the problems I had to guess on as well during the wait for results. You tend to forget the ones you knew how to work. It kind of drove me crazy afterwards.

I took the MD depth and can remember 71 of the 80 problems in pretty good detail. I have fairly good confidence of 50. I had to take an educated guess on maybe 20 as I messed something up (which I should not have)and had no time to do them again. I know of at least 1 is incorrect (stupid mistake) and 9 I can not remember at all. :suicide1:

I wish there were more MD type problems in the morning vs the standard breakdown of about 50% fluids thermo and HVAC vs 20% MD.

Took HVAC for the first time. I have no idea whether I'll pass or fail. But the test was very fair; surprisingly fair. All problems can be solved quickly, and I feel that an engineer should know how to solve every single one.

Even if I fail, I certainly feel more confident about my studies for the next time.

Took HVAC for the first time. I have no idea whether I'll pass or fail. But the test was very fair; surprisingly fair. All problems can be solved quickly, and I feel that an engineer should know how to solve every single one.Even if I fail, I certainly feel more confident about my studies for the next time.
Your discipline is civil and you feel like every HVAC PE should know how to solve every question but you're not sure if you passed? weird!

Several people are talking about how difficult the morning was. I thought it was kinda easy. I only guessed on 4 and had 3 educated guesses and I'm sure I made a few other mistakes but I felt very good on 33 of them...although after a few mistakes are included my score for the morning was probably around a 28. With that said, I thought it was the same level of difficulty as the 2008 NCEES sample exam. I didn't think it was bad at all.
The HVAC afternoon was pretty tough I thought. It was different than the specs...didn't have some things on it that I was counting on being there and did have some unexpected things on it...the afternoon is where I blew up.

:blowup:
I agree - I thought the morning exam was easier than the practice set, and HVAC was harder. On the pre-test, I averaged 75% on morning and 90% on the HVAC. On test day I felt I could've gotten a 90% on the morning and anywhere from a 50%-75% on the afternoon. It was NOT what I was expecting based on the NCEES Sample exam.

Took HVAC for the first time. I have no idea whether I'll pass or fail. But the test was very fair; surprisingly fair. All problems can be solved quickly, and I feel that an engineer should know how to solve every single one.Even if I fail, I certainly feel more confident about my studies for the next time.
This is my first PE exam and I can say that the HVAC depth module was fair, but surprisingly challenging compared to the NCEES PE Sample exam. There were a few unique problems I had not previously come across that required a level of ingenuity and 'out of the box' thinking to work a problem correctly (as is true in real life engineering) and this gives me more respect for the PE title that we're all striving for.

Also, the NCEES board determines what they consider a competant engineer, and that person certainly doesn't score 100% on an administered exam. However, at the least, HVAC engineers that pass should understand the underlying concepts in all of the HVAC problems.

And for what it's worth, there were some problems that took me much longer than 6 minutes to solve in both the sample and real exam (and I passed the sample HVAC exam with 90% correct).

I agree - I thought the morning exam was easier than the practice set, and HVAC was harder. On the pre-test, I averaged 75% on morning and 90% on the HVAC. On test day I felt I could've gotten a 90% on the morning and anywhere from a 50%-75% on the afternoon. It was NOT what I was expecting based on the NCEES Sample exam.
You have a highly percentage to pass. With your 90% and 50-75% you can get the lowest score 56/80. And that means you be able to pass and get your PE license.

You have a highly percentage to pass. With your 90% and 50-75% you can get the lowest score 56/80. And that means you be able to pass and get your PE license.
Thanks Chaocl, unfortunately I feel less and less confident as time goes on, but just have to be patient.

From your earlier post about your test, it sounds like you did well also (confident on 40/80, semi-confident on 20/80), and that you studied a lot. You deserve to pass and I wish you the best!

This is my first PE exam and I can say that the HVAC depth module was fair, but surprisingly challenging compared to the NCEES PE Sample exam. There were a few unique problems I had not previously come across that required a level of ingenuity and 'out of the box' thinking to work a problem correctly (as is true in real life engineering) and this gives me more respect for the PE title that we're all striving for.

Also, the NCEES board determines what they consider a competant engineer, and that person certainly doesn't score 100% on an administered exam. However, at the least, HVAC engineers that pass should understand the underlying concepts in all of the HVAC problems.

And for what it's worth, there were some problems that took me much longer than 6 minutes to solve in both the sample and real exam (and I passed the sample HVAC exam with 90% correct).
I took and passed the T & F last spring and I pretty much felt the same way after the test. I think outside of 3-4 in the afternoon all the problems where very fair and and engineer should be able to solve them.

I know I didn't pass the Sample Exam at 90% so you should be just fine.

Thanks Chaocl, unfortunately I feel less and less confident as time goes on, but just have to be patient.

From your earlier post about your test, it sounds like you did well also (confident on 40/80, semi-confident on 20/80), and that you studied a lot. You deserve to pass and I wish you the best!
Completely normal during lunchtime I felt like I would pass no problem.

Just after the afternoon section I was 90% sure I passed.

By the time I drove home I was about 80% sure.

2 months later I was at 50/50.

I think it is because you focus on what you did not know.

After about 90 minutes in the morning I was way ahead of schedule and started feeling good. Then I got hung up on a single problem for 20 minutes or so and completely lost my head in terms of time management. I did finish all the problems but I was working very quickly for the rest of the session. In the afternoon I was better at time management but the questions were harder for me so I had to work very quickly just to get through them. I think I worked all but maybe 7 or 8, I can't really remember. I feel pretty good about it but this is the first time I've taken the PE so I'm hesitant to say I think I'll pass. Don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

The afternoon was hard for me because my discipline is Acoustics, which there is no test for (unless you are trying for an Oregon license). I did the HVAC depth section because I felt like I stood the best chance at that. I was sad to see absolutely 0 acoustics questions on the exam; I figured there'd be one or maybe two that I could count on for building confidence.

Back