Mattress opinions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea how old mine is; got it used from an older couple at least 7 years ago though. It's fine, but frustratingly sized - it's supposed to be a "west coast king", but it doesn't match *any* of the standard sizes or shapes for sheets. One of these days I'll replace it, but a large bed is kinda expensive and I won't fit on a smaller one - and smaller ones would be very bad.

Floor models with stains are the way to go yo... remember my comment about sleeping well in a hotel... You always ride better on something sturdy and broke in.

Most decent mattresses need replaced every 8 years. To be decent, they are usually above the $500 per Men's Health. Mansewers show had an interesting segment on mattresses for lowering blood pressure and other activities rating the water bed the best by far followed by memory foam ahead of spring mattresses.

I have a two year old Serta queen size, very firm, that I paid right around $1100 for. It is a massive piece of crap. Went soft within months, and they wouldn't warranty it because the measurable sag at rest isn't enough. Doesn't matter if you sink to the floor when you lay on it, but if they can put a straight edge across it with nothing on it, and it sags less than 3 inches, they deem it as "fine". Never again, and can't wait to get rid of it already.

I have a very firm, now discontinued, Simmons mattress. Used it for two years, and it is as firm as the day I bought it (now in the guest bedroom), and is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on (I have a bad back, so extra-firm is all I can tolerate).

I've also slept on a sleep number in a hotel. The sleep number had little to do with how firm the bed was, and the number seemed to correlate with how high it pushed your ass in the air. I had it maxed out, and it was still uncomfortable as hell.

Was also not a fan of the memory foam stuff. I toss and turn a LOT, and the night I tried it, always felt like I was getting jabbed while it reshaped itself. I also found myself getting hotter on it than a normal mattress.

We've had the same pillow-top mattress for years. Ours is a Cali-King (replaced a waterbed), which makes finding bedding difficult. We're actually in the market to find something for the guest bedroom, as we have a frame but no mattress. Any suggestions for finding a decent one for cheap? I'm planning on hitting up a couple local retailers to see what they have for "store-brands", but still have a hard time justifying $200+ for something that will sit unused for 95% of the time...

Craig's List or local paper, 50 bones max. if it's not used often. We use our old queen in the spare room. We hated it when we grew out of it and got our king, and now everytime people stay over they say it's the best sleep they've ever had. It's a crab shoot, so just pick up a used frat bed for $20 and call it good.

It's a crab shoot, so just pick up a used frat bed for $20 and call it good.
Literally.

I lived in a frat. I will not use one of those beds for my dog. I ended up getting some unknown store brand for ~$250 (upgraded it over the base, because the base was horrible). Oh well, the wife and I can use that as our "getaway" bed once in a while...

Last edited by a moderator:
^ you caught that.

It's better than a crusty old frat couch tho. wasn't someone looking for one for their flooded basement a few months back?

bump

Update: We just upgraded from our IKEA memory foam bed to a Tempurpedic cloud supreme. We got it on the 9th, and after two weeks it's finally starting to feel comfortable. There really is a break-in period :eyebrows: . Halfway want to splurge and upgrade to the "luxe" model, that one was teh awesomeness. So far this one > old one.

My sister just bought one of the tempurpedics with the gel tops. She says she's stopped looking for a husband, because nobody could ever top the mattress.

Back