Mattress opinions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
Our current mattress is 10-years-old and starting to get a little flimsy. How long have you owned your mattress? Anyone swear by one mattress over the other?

ours will be 10 yrs this coming may. It is a Verlo mattress. Not sure if they are nationwide, but they manufacture the beds right there at the store so you can personalize it to be a little softer or harder than the standard version. My parents have had their verlo mattress for almost 20 yrs now.

We just give it a flip every couple a months and it is like new again. Although I don't have a comparison because before the bunk beds in college I had slept on a waterbed since I was in second grade. That was my first large purchase. I saved up my money and bought it with my own money.

Nope, I don't swear by anything. I have bought two bed sets in the past 10 years and both started to wear out within 2-3 years. The first was a cheap Spring Air (~$600). The second was a relatively expensive (~$1200) Serta. I will point out that I like a softer bed and I'm not sure if it's possible to make a soft spring mattress that will last a long time. Next time I'm tempted to try the sleep number bed because then at least I can adjust the firmness over time. I don't know anything about these beds, though.

Oh, and I hate the memory foam beds because I move around a lot when I sleep and the foam takes time to adjust.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just got a new one - it has a memory foam top! ahhhhhh....

The salesman was big on telling us the 20-yr warranty was really great and that "you'll never need another mattress". We did not really want to hear that (jeez we're not looking to die on the thing) :unsure:

Best thing is to go to a store with reasonable prices and try them all. We ended up with a Beautyrest NXG.

if you like sleeping on a fancy blow up bed then sleep number is right for you. I have slept on one on several different occassions and each time I woke up sunk in the middle of the bed. Even though both sides were set to the same number it deflated over night. Definitely find a Radisson hotel with the sleep number beds and spend the night before you buy a sleep number. The money spent on the hotel will be cheaper then just buying it and finding out you hate it.

We tried a memory foam topper for our mattress to see if it would help my husbands snoring...it did help him, but I have never gotten a worse sleep in my life. We cut the thing in half so the memory foam was only on hs side and I was sleeping better the very next day. Although he took it off his side about a month or so for some reason

I have the Sealy version of the memory foam mattress. It's a little softer than the Termperpedic, and it seems to adjust faster when you roll over at night. I really like it, but it was expensive as hell.

Everyone here has disappointed me. All this talk of new mattresses, and not one crack about how it got worn out?

Nope, I don't swear by anything. I have bought two bed sets in the past 10 years and both started to wear out within 2-3 years. The first was a cheap Spring Air (~$600). The second was a relatively expensive (~$1200) Serta. I will point out that I like a softer bed and I'm not sure if it's possible to make a soft spring mattress that will last a long time. Next time I'm tempted to try the sleep number bed because then at least I can adjust the firmness over time. I don't know anything about these beds, though.
You mean like Mr. Vacuum here did?

We bought a foam king from Ikea last year and It's been alright. I was testing them out and really liked the middle stiffness, and in haste picked the stiffer version for the wife. I also got the spring wooden slat base (like a platform). After the first year, ended up getting the extra 2.5" foam top because we thought it was too stiff, my haste proved futile.

Previously we bought a queen spring from one of those mattress stores, which gave you 90 days to trade it in. It was good for about a year and then started to middle sink. In those first 90, we had called the mattress store and explained the poor sleep. The clerk stated "It takes a bit to settle into them and let your body adjust, blah blah." I call BS on this, ever notice how well you sleep in nice hotel beds or at a friends house and just after one night, time to adjust my ass.

My advise, do some shopping (test drive) only settle on the comfy goodness. Price shop also but don't limit 1/3 of you life to a price, get a good sturdy rompin base and your set.

The ones from Simmons Beautyrest were available as half/half plush/firm. DH and I did have different opinions on what we liked so its best to both go and try them all out.

We've had a sleep number bed since 2002 and it works as advertized. Haven't had any trouble with the mattress deflating over time. I've seen the complaint regarding the ones in hotel rooms which causes me to wonder if I'm a lucky owner or if the design just doesn't stand up well in a hotel application.

Everyone here has disappointed me. All this talk of new mattresses, and not one crack about how it got worn out?
I'm impressed.

Thanks for the replies. My parents have a memory foam bed that was super expensive and they like it, but it smells strongly of latex foam. We have a guy here at work who swears by his sleep number bed. It seems like a lot of money for a bed, but it was a good point that we do spend a lot of our lives sleeping.

The biggest issue right now is that the mattress has got to the point where if one person flips over in the night, it shakes the whole bed. We might have to lay around the mattress stores for awhile.

Mattress stores should stage lock-in/slumber parties to allow people to adequately test mattresses that they are thinking about purchasing. You can reserve a certain mattress for a certain night.

Back