Map: April 2013 PE Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one offers a course in my discipline (Architectural Engineering) so only self study here... Hopefully it was enough (Come on PA!)
This is test I took, and failed, only did strong in my discipline (electrical) so I'm going to give a go at the Electrical - power Exam in October rather than waiting a full year.

No one offers a course in my discipline (Architectural Engineering) so only self study here... Hopefully it was enough (Come on PA!)
This is test I took, and failed, only did strong in my discipline (electrical) so I'm going to give a go at the Electrical - power Exam in October rather than waiting a full year.
That sucks. Best of luck!

I'm really hoping I pass so that I don't have to wait a full year to try again. I'm lucky in that my day to day job requires me to work in all disciplines, so even though structural is my strongest point, everything else is still fresh on my mind.

I'm curious as to why there is an architectural engineering discipline. I know this is a college major, and it's a good idea as such because it provides a broad overview of construction engineering, and allows you to choose between structure, mechanical, electrical, civil, etc after graduation. But in practice, at least in my experience, people choose one of those specialities after graduation, so it seems strange that there is a PE exam that covers all of them at once.

Agreed,

One of my co-workers is on the board that writes the tests and one of the main issues is the lack of quantity of test takers. Breaking the tests down even further would make the numbers even thinner. I could see at least the afternoon sessions being discipline specific. In general I don't think there are that many people going for their PE whose careers focus solely on building design.

I'm curious as to why there is an architectural engineering discipline. I know this is a college major, and it's a good idea as such because it provides a broad overview of construction engineering, and allows you to choose between structure, mechanical, electrical, civil, etc after graduation. But in practice, at least in my experience, people choose one of those specialities after graduation, so it seems strange that there is a PE exam that covers all of them at once.
I work for a small engineering firm (owner, 2 PEs, me and another EIT, electrical designer, and 2 drafters) that does multi-discipline engineering projects. I just finished reviewing some work on an electrical job, and switched over to dealing with a mechanical project. I was doing structural design yesterday, and this afternoon I am laying out sprinkler heads.

The AE PE actually fits perfectly into what I do on a daily basis, and I also appreciate the fact that it gives me credentials to stand on. In other words, if I took the structural exam or the mechanical exam, even if I was allowed by law to sign an electrical drawing in states that don't have discipline specific stamps, I might have to explain myself to a boss or a client as to why I was qualified to do so. The AE PE covers all of that.

Likewise, having focused my school and my job experience on buildings alone, I would have to learn topics that I have never had before and will never practice just for the other PE exams.

As I understand it, the states that offer/recognize the AE PE invest that individual with design authority for all building systems, i.e. - structure, electrical/lighting, and mechanical. I am an AE graduate and while most of my program's alumni practice in a specific discipline, I know some who have the AE PE and who offer full-service design. It seems advantageous for smaller projects and/or more rural projects because the AE can offer essentially three professional services under one seal/contract/price. I have a Civil/Structural PE, I sat for the SE in April (awaiting results), but I'm thinking about sitting for the AE PE next April because I think it could be advantageous for establishing my own engineering practice for the reasons I listed above.

I work for a small engineering firm (owner, 2 PEs, me and another EIT, electrical designer, and 2 drafters) that does multi-discipline engineering projects. I just finished reviewing some work on an electrical job, and switched over to dealing with a mechanical project. I was doing structural design yesterday, and this afternoon I am laying out sprinkler heads.

The AE PE actually fits perfectly into what I do on a daily basis, and I also appreciate the fact that it gives me credentials to stand on. In other words, if I took the structural exam or the mechanical exam, even if I was allowed by law to sign an electrical drawing in states that don't have discipline specific stamps, I might have to explain myself to a boss or a client as to why I was qualified to do so. The AE PE covers all of that.

Likewise, having focused my school and my job experience on buildings alone, I would have to learn topics that I have never had before and will never practice just for the other PE exams.
Interesting. That's the first I've heard of multi-discipline practice like that. Sounds like the right test for you then.

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of multi-discipline practice like that. Sounds like the right test for you then.
Yeah. The downside is that if I want to move to a larger company, chances are I would have to limit myself to one discipline to fit their hierarchy. I would love to end up as an engineering department manager. Even if the engineers under me were discipline specific department heads, I feel my career path would shape me to do well overseeing (and coordinating) multiple disciplines on a job.

5/22: MI, AR, KY, TX, AZ, OH, LA, IA, WA, UT, CO, OK, CA, NH, NM

5/23: IN, FL, GA, NY, NC, VT, DE, DC, AL (Mailed), NE (Mailed), MN (Mailed), W.V. (Mailed)

5/24: SC, MO, NV, ID, TN (Mailed), KS (Mailed), OR (Mailed), ND (Mailed), SD (Mailed)

5/28: IL, AK

5/29: NJ, Guam, CT

5/30: WI, MA

nr0PiIZ.png

IL Mechanical PE PASSED :bananapowerslide: :bananapowerslide: :bananapowerslide: :bananapowerslide: :construction: :bananalama: :pASSED2:

I did schoolofpe.com. It was great for Thermo and HVAC subjects. They could use more organization and well presented slides, problems and solutions, but I liked it overall. It was a great commitment mechanism that forced me to spend 100% of my weekends studying. I also did three timed practice tests: NCEES/6min/Lindeburgh and was very very familiar with the MERM. Spending at least 200h studying and learning to snap out unit conversions is key.

IL Mechanical PE PASSED :bananapowerslide: :bananapowerslide: :bananapowerslide: :bananapowerslide: :construction: :bananalama: :pASSED2:

I did schoolofpe.com. It was great for Thermo and HVAC subjects. They could use more organization and well presented slides, problems and solutions, but I liked it overall. It was a great commitment mechanism that forced me to spend 100% of my weekends studying. I also did three timed practice tests: NCEES/6min/Lindeburgh and was very very familiar with the MERM. Spending at least 200h studying and learning to snap out unit conversions is key.
Congratulations. I do however feel that, it is not always one size fits all. I did not prepare as much as you did. Although, I did spend some time reading/studying. More you study, more problems you solve definitely helps (improves your chances). I have a feeling that even a very well prepared person could easily fail and person who did not prepare as much can pass in these types of exams. I am still awaiting results and I am no expert. I can easily fail OR pass.

Congratulations. I do however feel that, it is not always one size fits all. I did not prepare as much as you did. Although, I did spend some time reading/studying. More you study, more problems you solve definitely helps (improves your chances). I have a feeling that even a very well prepared person could easily fail and person who did not prepare as much can pass in these types of exams. I am still awaiting results and I am no expert. I can easily fail OR pass.
this being my second time around, I spent somewhere around 80-90 hours studying over the two months leading up to the exam. I felt good, but it did not translate. In fact, I bombed it; did worse than the first time.

this being my second time around, I spent somewhere around 80-90 hours studying over the two months leading up to the exam. I felt good, but it did not translate. In fact, I bombed it; did worse than the first time.
concentrate on the areas you need for next round (but also review what you did well on for refresher)...it will happen.

"never give up, never surrender" - you are better than them!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spoke to PCS about PA - here's the answer - "We do not know when, but when they're released you'll get an email..."

Speechless....

Got similar answer for MD. We dont know when they will be released. check back every week.

This is what he told me to check back every week. HOPELESS.

concentrate on the areas you need for next round (but also review what you did well on for refresher)...it will happen.

"never give up, never surrender" - you are better than them!!!!
I can promise you that I will not give up. I am the posterchild for perseverance. I began taking night and summer classes back in 1999. I was behind in math when I started and then I took calc I which seemed like forever a road block. took me three semesters, but I finally passed it. Fast forward to 2011. I graduated college and became the first in my family to do so. The journey may be long, the road may be hard, I must go through the valley to stand on the mountain. And I will.

Back