Looking for some clarification on railroad site survey application.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1425

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Ryan and I work for a material handling company. One of the products we sell is used to ride on the rails and move bogies and rail cars. Civil is not my background and I am at a loss for decoding some information on degree of curvature that I have from a blue print/site survey.

Part of my analysis for customers is to evaluate capacity. Of which, would include curves where I have a way to relate radius to decrease in capacity. However, on some site surveys I see the curvature displayed as 13 "degree symbol" 30' C. I have spent quite a bit of time reading through degree of curvature information and get the 13 degrees but I cannot find anything that links the second part. 30' could be the chord in meters (~100ft), could it be the chord where the radius to degree of curvature formula would be dependent etc. Being a mechanical engineer I get the math, I just don't know what the variables/symbols are supposed to be.

I know this is an out of the blue question and I would really appreciate if you have some insight or a resource to point me to that could help me understand the nomenclature better. I have searched railway blue print nomenclature, Railway degree of curvature, Railway site survey, Civil engineering railway and many iterations of each of these!

Thank you in advance!

Latest posts

Back