Licensed Engineer = Professional Engineer?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Hello there,

Finally received my certificate tonight :D . Went to the mail box and it was there. A beauty, have to say. Very nice. It came with a letter from the Puerto Rican Department of State with the due protocol and bla bla bla. Only thing I did not like is: I am not a Professional Engineer. I am a Licensed Engineer. :eek:

I did not see that one coming. Call one of my friends and then I learned that our Dept. Of State changed the way they call the P.E.s to L.E.s. Very wise :wtf: Do not have a freaking idea why they did that. Now I am afraid Florida is going to give me hell to give me my license here just for the wording in the certificate and the letter.

Does anybody know about other states doing this? I feel betrayed. I wanted to be a P.E. Wanted to see my license number and the letters P.E. at the end. Now they say INL ( Ingeniero Licenciado in Spanish...that would be Licensed Engineer in English)

Seriously: Is that a national trend?

You would be surprised. Our Department of Stae and the College of Engineers are always pioneers in changes. Puerto Rico is among the first states requiring NCEES Record to grant licenses by comitty(excuse me if this is not the right word). Maybe they are doing it again.

Anyways I have to thank the Lord for giving me this blessing, no matter what the name would be. Do not forget to thank him everyday of your life my friends. :claps:

Well, now. more than ever....

;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns;

shouldnt be a big deal I know a lot of Surveyors whose states changed them to Licensed Surveyor from prof. surveyor (vice versa)

so hows the job market in Puerto Rico? I always hear bad things about the economy down there, no first hand knowledge though..

Licensed Engineer would mean you are permitted to practice, but Professional Engineer would mean you get paid for it :D

Well some states instead of calling you a "licensed" PE, they call you a "registered" PE.

I like licensed better. Registered makes it sound like you just signed up with the state.

The thing is, states have different ways of officially designating the title of someone who passed the test and is approved to practice, but everyone calls that person a "PE" anyway.

That sucks... you are a PE, everyone know what a PE is (and no, I don't mean a Premature Ejaculator)... but what the hell is an LE?? I would just put PE after my name in the business cards regardless...

my 2 cents

^ I agree. When I passed the FE exam, I figured I was an EIT, or engineer-in-training.

It was fine in NY, but when I moved to VT, they call it "engineer intern" here.

I had them put EIT on my business card anyway. Engineer-in-Training sounds like a young person learning the profession. Engineer Intern sounds like some kid who makes copies and files stuff on his summer vacation.

Luis is a PE in my book! :read:

I'm an Engineer Intern, and my business cards say E.I.

I don't like either. Intern does sound like a summer kid, and Engineer-in-Training, sounds like they have me in pull-ups and are trying to get me out of diapers. Both terms suck.

I like F.E. (Fundamental Engineer).

Any better ideas?

you know i never put EIT on my business cards, it just seemed to have less weight than just my name by itself, I also have an LSIT (surveying equivalent of EIT)

my first job they ordered business cards before i started and it had both EIT, LSIT on there, I thought it looked dumb, luckily we changed office locations and had to get new cards, so i just left them blank..

At my first job out of school, my job title was "engineer-in-training", separate from the state designation after passing the FE exam.

They wouldn't put that title on my card, they just had my name and the company name.

Then when I passed the FE, they put VTEnviro, EIT on my card, but still left the title blank.

Fuckin' wacky if you ask me. They got bought out recently anyway.

a lot of companies are anal about putting anything engineer on your card, to me if you say

Roady Guy, EIT

Project Engineer

That's no biggie, because technically you are an "engineer in training"

But I just had blank cards until a few years ago and got the wonderful PM title on there with no PE, hopefully that wont be for too long......

Mine says,

DVINNY, E.I.

Project Engineer

I guess the E.I. allows the title below, so that I'm not trying to pass myself as a P.E.

this is the 1st place i worked where they would put anything on your card.

they would have put Vice President on RG's card if he asked (no offense :D )

my old job, i think the lady / bitch who ordered the cards liked to hold it over young engineers heads about not putting titles on cards, if you were an eit they wouldnt put shit on your card until you passed the PE, then it would be "Design Engineer" until you made PM, then they would grant your the sacred Project Manager title on your card.

But it used to piss us off that marketing folks and the rest of the overhead staff all has "fancy titles" on there cards

anyways, in case you forgot

:"the other board":

you know i never put EIT on my business cards, it just seemed to have less weight than just my name by itself, I also have an LSIT (surveying equivalent of EIT)
my first job they ordered business cards before i started and it had both EIT, LSIT on there, I thought it looked dumb, luckily we changed office locations and had to get new cards, so i just left them blank..
Same here, I had never put EI on mine, since it really looks stupid Dr.Franz, Ph.D., E.I... :wtf: ?? that's why I never put it, even when I was a department manager and principal... until I decided to stop being a stubborn SOB and sat and took both stupid exams... it's just an exam, (an easy as shit exam, btw) and it doesn't tell how good of an engineer you are (or are not), just how good at passing exams you are... now that I got the 2 letters, my salary has not changed a cent, my reputation has not changed a bit, I only need longer cards to put all the letters after my name... :"the other board":

Latest posts

Back