Lets go Thrashers.......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
okay I know nothing about Hockey, cant watch it on tv, but we take the kids to a few games a year (Atlanta Thrashers)

I have to say in terms of keeping the crowd into the game, I have never had such a good time at a sports game (especially for a sport I know nothing about and dont really care about).

I have been to several NBA games and they do a decent amount of crowd entertaining, its just not the same feel as the hockey games...

I know we have several northern folks who will consider my non-chalant regard of Hockey as blasphemy at the highest levels, but if they could ever make hockey translate over to TV I think they would have a gold mine......

okay I know nothing about Hockey, cant watch it on tv, but we take the kids to a few games a year (Atlanta Thrashers)
I have to say in terms of keeping the crowd into the game, I have never had such a good time at a sports game (especially for a sport I know nothing about and dont really care about).

I have been to several NBA games and they do a decent amount of crowd entertaining, its just not the same feel as the hockey games...

I know we have several northern folks who will consider my non-chalant regard of Hockey as blasphemy at the highest levels, but if they could ever make hockey translate over to TV I think they would have a gold mine......
Oh...C'mmon RG. Your Falcons are not that bad.

The same goes for drag racing. Take a person who has zero interest in cars whatsoever and take them to a Top Fuel race. Some things just can't be conveyed through TV. The same goes for college football games in some of the huge stadiums (Ohio State, Texas, Penn State, etc).

I can't bring myself to watch a hockey game on TV, but it's a great time in person. We used to take in a couple Dartmouth games a month. They were a fairly well ranked team, and we got in for free (I just said I 'lost' my student ID). We'd sit down by the boards and watch them shake when someone gets smacked into it.

I should take in a game this winter. Between BU, BC, and Harvard there is some good hockey here.

I thought this was a farm equipment thread...

My co-worker went to his first hockey game this weekend and said the exact same thing. He had no idea it was going to be so exciting.

The same goes for drag racing. Take a person who has zero interest in cars whatsoever and take them to a Top Fuel race. Some things just can't be conveyed through TV. The same goes for college football games in some of the huge stadiums (Ohio State, Texas, Penn State, etc).
you said it. I keep telling people that they have to see top fuel or jet cars just once to say they've expereienced it. As engineers if you've never been GO! I highly recommend seeing Ken Shockley and his jet powered Shockwave trucks if you ever have the change. UNBELIEVABLE!

I can't bring myself to watch a hockey game on TV, but it's a great time in person. We used to take in a couple Dartmouth games a month. They were a fairly well ranked team, and we got in for free (I just said I 'lost' my student ID). We'd sit down by the boards and watch them shake when someone gets smacked into it.
I should take in a game this winter. Between BU, BC, and Harvard there is some goodGREAT hockey here.
fixed it for you.

not to mention our very own Boston Bruins Hockey!!

I got some free tix and took my daughter and her friend. You said it RG - I don't know if it's just the Thrashers and they have to make it interesting because, ...well look it's Georgia, we don't know nuthin' about no hockey - or if that's just hockey in general, but my daughter had a great time. A few months later, she recalled what a good time she had at that "thing" we went to, without even really remembering what sport it was. Funny!

Some of us went to an Orlando Solarbears game when I was in school. Between periods they had a dance contest...two little kids "dancing" on the jumbotron to cheesy music. The first girl freaked out and ended up standing there petrified. The second kid went crazy, dancing and jumping around. When they flashed their pictures on screen to decide the winner, everybody went crazy for the 2nd kid but 15,000 people booed some poor terrified 6 year old girl. I'm sure she probably needed some sort of therapy.

One thing I really enjoyed in Jacksonville was the Lizard Kings. They were ECHL which means there were lots of fights and they were so new that I could stop on my way home from work and pick up a rink-side seat for that nights game.

We have the Stingrays (ECHL) down here. The games are fun and really family oriented, except for the fighting and such. I should take my 4 year old to a game.
Hockey is a fast-moving and intense game. It's physical and you're slamming guys into the boards. There is pride an retaliation involved. The players legitimely get worked up and fights are bound to break out. Personally I understand why the fights break out but I can't stand it when the fans hoot and holler at the fighting and are disappointed if one doesn't happen.

That crap denegrates the sport to the level of professional wrestling IMHO.

Chuck you should take your kid to a game and get him into skating, too. Now is the time to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
hockey's probably the funnest sport to attend in person & w/ the multitude of minor league teams out there can be really affordable too. In the previous town i lived in, the IHL franchise there was almost like from right out of Slap Shot - one of the Hanson brothers (Jeff Carlson) lives in town there, working as an electrician i think.

Latest posts

Back