Let the nervous countdown begin

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Well, I applied to California to be able to take the exam, and was approved by California. I was assuming that NCEES contacts California with my results, and then California will send me my letter and license #. Anyone else familiar with California in this regard? Is there really something else I need to do? I sure haven't seen anything saying that throughout the application procedures.

Apparently the license lookup database was updated with a bunch of new Civils (although not confirmed to be ALL of them). I still don't see my Structural S yet :-/

@JDstruc: I am in the same boat. Waiting for my S number. I don't think we need to do anything else.

Failed, this sucks. 2nd time. got 20-40 multiple choice, acceptable on all the essays. Not sure what im going to do from here. Don't know how I can improve on the multiple choice

Failed, this sucks. 2nd time. got 20-40 multiple choice, acceptable on all the essays. Not sure what im going to do from here. Don't know how I can improve on the multiple choice

That sucks, hang in there.

I'v failed the lateral 3 times already and am waiting on my 4th try results...Its a really hard test.

Just keep cranking out the practice problems. If you haven't already, try working through SEAOC Vol I-III

Yeah, I need some serious work on steel design and lateral force distribution apparently. What is the best reference for that stuff. The SEAOC? or does that just have seismic?

Yeah, I need some serious work on steel design and lateral force distribution apparently. What is the best reference for that stuff. The SEAOC? or does that just have seismic?

So it was Lateral exam, in the AM? And you're a bridge guy, yeah?

The Seismic Design Review manual (Hiner) is a truly AWESOME resource. Its intended for the California Civil Seismic Exam, but it is fantastic for SE Lateral exam as well. I didn't really "Study" the book. But I did go work thru all of the many multiuple choice problems, and the multi-part "Example problems". If you don't have that book, buy it ASAP!

http://www.seismicreview.com/Workbook.html

Unforutnately, it appears the 2009 IBC version is no longer showing up. Iv'e heard you can email him, and he will sell you the older 2009 IBC version. Or, you can always buy a used copy off the internet boards or possibly Amazon. All the California Civil Seismic guys got that book (if they were smart), and most of them will be happy to re-sell it.

I typed up a rather large blurb to send to my co-workers who will be taking the SE exam in 2014...what books they REALLY need to study, how I studied, worked problems, etc. If you wouldn't feel insulted, I can forward you that information via PM. just let me know :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Volume I is very good if you want to work on LATERAL LOAD and FORCE DISTRIBUTION. This book is a must. Get Volume III if you want to supplement your steel design in addition to AISC SDM. I did not find Volume 3 as useful, but Volume I is very good for both AM and PM.

SEAOC covers most of whats on the exam including wind load calculations. The only thing it doesn't cover is the bridge stuff which it sounds like you have a good handle on already.

I figure most people who fail are not motivated to post, so to balance the scale, I failed Lateral this time around. I had passed Vertical back in April. I'm picking up the SEAOC and the Breyer wood book. 28/40 AM, 1-ACC and 3-IR for PM. I'm a 'buildings' guy but I don't actually design buidlings, more like big machines.

Yeah, i mean it sucks, but i am happy i was able to get 3 acceptables in the afternoon, so that at least shows i know how to do my job.

Just not happy with bombing lateral force distribution and steel design. I need to get better there. I had never gotten SEAOC volume 1 becuase i thought it was strictly seismic. Looks like i should pick this up

So it was Lateral exam, in the AM? And you're a bridge guy, yeah?

The Seismic Design Review manual (Hiner) is a truly AWESOME resource. Its intended for the California Civil Seismic Exam, but it is fantastic for SE Lateral exam as well. I didn't really "Study" the book. But I did go work thru all of the many multiuple choice problems, and the multi-part "Example problems". If you don't have that book, buy it ASAP!

http://www.seismicreview.com/Workbook.html

Unforutnately, it appears the 2009 IBC version is no longer showing up. Iv'e heard you can email him, and he will sell you the older 2009 IBC version. Or, you can always buy a used copy off the internet boards or possibly Amazon. All the California Civil Seismic guys got that book (if they were smart), and most of them will be happy to re-sell it.

I typed up a rather large blurb to send to my co-workers who will be taking the SE exam in 2014...what books they REALLY need to study, how I studied, worked problems, etc. If you wouldn't feel insulted, I can forward you that information via PM. just let me know :3
and yes, i am a very bridge man

Last edited by a moderator:
Passed vertical & failed lateral in April 2013. This time failed lateral the second time. All for buildings. I got a diagnostic for the PM, but no diagnostic for the AM in the snail mail today...

Essay are kicking my butt...I improved in the lateral essays since April, but its tough....

What I tell the others in my office that are frustrated and are depressed is if it weren't an important test, then it wouldn't be difficult. It's tough as most of us are balancing family or the daily grind of work. I'm sure that we all can improve!

Just called PCS. The lady said they are still waiting for the SE Exams from NCEES from Wisconsin. NCEES website says the SE exams are released in all states I believe.

Not sure what to think.

Just called PCS. The lady said they are still waiting for the SE Exams from NCEES from Wisconsin. NCEES website says the SE exams are released in all states I believe.

Not sure what to think.

I think you got fed a line from PCS. That reeks of hand waving / finger pointing.

Yeah, i mean it sucks, but i am happy i was able to get 3 acceptables in the afternoon, so that at least shows i know how to do my job.

Just not happy with bombing lateral force distribution and steel design. I need to get better there. I had never gotten SEAOC volume 1 becuase i thought it was strictly seismic. Looks like i should pick this up
I recommend going through SEAOC Vol. 1 alongside your ASCE 7. Read all of the footnotes and referenced sections in ASCE 7 and use highlighters and/or tabs to remind yourself. The exam really seems to test knowledge of exceptions and information in footnotes and referenced sections which are extremely easy to overlook if you aren't aware of them. IN other words, they set traps for you and you really have to be aware of those traps.

For steel design, I recommend the Alan Williams book - "Structural Engineering PE License Review Problems and Solutions". His "Seismic and Wind Forces" book is also good, but the steel design section is riddled with errors and if you're not strong in steel design, you may not catch them. Also, going through AISC example problems will really help.

MA results are out on PCS.

I passed lateral!!!!

4th try!!!!

I've been taking this test since it was offered for the first time. HFS there is a god!

3rd try at lateral for me in MA. PCS says fail. I won't believe it until I see the NCEES score. I really felt like I rocked that test.

Back