Kids of EB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to contact my city for over a week to book a venue for Mini YMZ's 4th birthday party, but they're nonresponsive. The other places I was considering got booked up during the time I've been waiting. I don't get why this is so hard. I have money; why can't they just take it and write my name down on the damn calendar?
you having it at City Hall?

^ Ha! No, at the former children's library. We booked it last year with no issues. The Parks and Rec director's office will be getting a call from me if I don't hear back in a couple hours.

My kid gets diarrhea when he is on antibiotics. Nothing like having a sick kids that is also blowing out diapers. That hasn't happened now that he is older but between years 1 and 2 it was basically guaranteed. My other kid has never had any side effects that I can think of.

Antibiotics only work for bacterial ailments. Too often, they are prescribed for any sickness simply because the doc wants to placate the parent. Without meds, you'll be better in 3-5 days with plenty of rest and fluids. With meds, you'll be better in 3-5 days with plenty of rest and fluids.

The sooner you stop using antibiotics, the sooner you'll find yourself bouncing back from sickness on your own without meds because your immune system is better developed.

^this. Mrs. NJ worked in a Ped. office. far too often, the parents demanded that the kids be given a script for a common cold.

That's one thing I don't understand...taking your kid to the dr for a cold....seriously?! keep hydrated and watch for a fever.

The bigger problem is the fact that daycare centers and schools can require the child to be on meds for 24 hours before returning to school regardless of the ailment. Kid got sent home for a fever? Need to be on meds if you want to come back... F-ing policies written by ignorant people which lead to an already increasing amount of over-medication.

Here The only thing with med requirements are pink eye and strep throat. School has a no puking and no fever for 24 hrs but there isn't a med requirement with it. Although some pinkeyes are viral so meds wouldn't help in the slightest and the kid would still be contagious

Most of the time, when the kid is sent home for being sick, he's already on the downhill side of being contageous.

That's one thing I don't understand...taking your kid to the dr for a cold....seriously?! keep hydrated and watch for a fever.

The bigger problem is the fact that daycare centers and schools can require the child to be on meds for 24 hours before returning to school regardless of the ailment. Kid got sent home for a fever? Need to be on meds if you want to come back... F-ing policies written by ignorant people which lead to an already increasing amount of over-medication.

Dex is right, daycares are the main problem. That is why the parents demand the meds. Ear infections, pink eye, sinus infections, or with my son he had acid reflux and needed a script for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom is a pharmacist, and it took quite a bit to convince her to even let us have a Tylenol. Since then, I refuse to take meds unless it is absolutely necessary.

<--- can count on one hand how many work & school days missed for being sick since middle school (not counting hangovers in college)

I have always been the same way. I would rather sleep it off than take meds. That whole "sleeping it off" thing has since gone out the window with the addition of the kiddos though.

My mom is a pharmacist, and it took quite a bit to convince her to even let us have a Tylenol. Since then, I refuse to take meds unless it is absolutely necessary.

<--- can count on one hand how many work & school days missed for being sick since middle school (not counting hangovers in college)
Other than my allergies...and the chicken pox I never got sick as kid. Hell I never had antibiotics until I got my wisdom teeth pulled at age 28. I got $100 at graduation (from the school) for making it through high school without a sick day.

The only downside to having a good immune system is that I am now a "carrier." I still get sick (rarely more than a runny/stuffy nose), I just don't show any major symptoms and end up getting everyone else sick. Mrs Dex has learned that if I start sniffing too much (more than just the usual allergies), she needs to up her vitamin C intake and to start preparing for herself getting sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting take on Antibacs. LadyFox basically said the same thing regarding getting better in 3-5 days.

I also never get sick during the course of the year. At my last job of 6 years, I think I used 1 sick day that was used as a "personal" day to take care of some things.

We'll take our kids to the Dr if they spike a mid to high fever or just seem miserable for what ever reason. Usually it is driven by the fact we need them in daycare and I don't want my kids getting others sick. We try to keep the medications to a minimum, usually the only thing they get antibiotics for are strep or if they get an ear infection that is bad enough to take them in. Our dr is reasonable about giving medications, usually talks about the necessity of them and if he thinks they really need them or not.

The only reason I go to the dr anymore is because I don't want to get the kids sick incase I come down with something. For the most part I'm kinda like Dex mentioned, I get a cold/runny nose type sickness then people around me get worse. That probably has to do with the fact my parents pretty much had a 5 day waiting period on going the dr growing up.

The handful of sick days I've taken have been half for my kids and half for basically just sinus/allergy issues.

I don't like antiobiotics and I hope we rarely have to use them.
Been meaning to ask you why on this...

Case in point: I took Baby YMZ to get checked again today because she had an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. The PA said it had done nothing for her because she was infected with a amoxicillin-resistant strain of bacteria. All that suffering and she still isn't better, partly due to other people's over-use of antibiotics.

I'm all for vaccines and modern medicine, but I generally prefer not to depend on drugs that throw the body out of balance. There are always unintended consequences, and for little things like colds I figure the risk of those consequences outweighs the risk of complications from being sick.

I gained a lot of respect for our PNP when she noticed that Lil Sapling had a mild ear infection and told us that giving him anti-biotics would cause diarrhea that would hurt him more than his ear. He had been kind of cranky, but we decided not to go in because we had a regular well-visit coming up, anyway. Lil Sapling's ear cleared up on its own and he hasn't had any more ear infections. We've been lucky, he hasn't had anything worse than a bad cough and a couple rounds of stomach flu (which I hate, because once your kid barfs on you, you know that you'll be barfing in a day or two).

I don't like antiobiotics and I hope we rarely have to use them.
Been meaning to ask you why on this...

Case in point: I took Baby YMZ to get checked again today because she had an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. The PA said it had done nothing for her because she was infected with a amoxicillin-resistant strain of bacteria. All that suffering and she still isn't better, partly due to other people's over-use of antibiotics.

I'm all for vaccines and modern medicine, but I generally prefer not to depend on drugs that throw the body out of balance. There are always unintended consequences, and for little things like colds I figure the risk of those consequences outweighs the risk of complications from being sick.
I was just going to ask how she was doing. Did they take a culture to know it was the resistant strain?

Back