July 2020 Exam Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The board has spies everywhere!!! I know it’s true because I read about it online. 

But in all seriousness let’s keep hoping they are able to work out whatever is causing them to be delayed. I have some colleagues taking the survey principles exam in August and it would be nice if they were able to get results back in a timely manner come September. Hoping for the best!

(Before anyone else makes the assumption again - no I don’t work for the board.)
No one has any spies. 

Here’s the situation folks.  No one recognizes the sacrifice necessary to prepare; the anxiety associated with taking the exam and waiting for results; and the extreme emotions upon learning that your effort has paid off or not more than people at the board.  Most of the people you’re talking about, sometimes in unflattering ways, have literally been through 10-15 YEARS of exams at minimum. Most of you, thankfully, only need to be in this situation for a very short while, relatively speaking, in comparison.

just to think...it’s only been a few years that the state civil exams have been offered literally year round with results being released on a monthly basis. Before that...for many of your peers...the exams were only offered twice a year and results took twice that long to release.  And they were required to take both civil exams at the same time.

AND, those same people at the board, that are sometimes being talked about in unflattering ways, process licenses...not exam results...licenses, every other Friday.  

Please consider this important fact...no one forced the board to make these changes. No one told the board they had to implement more effective processes.  No one told the board that they needed to offer the exams more frequently.  There was no outside pressure to do so.  

If any of you pay any attention to all of the board’s business, which you should absolutely do. You will see that ALL of these changes started with board employees going to the actual Board asking to make these changes over the last 5-7 years and with total buy-in from the actual Board, made all these changes.  Sometimes, there were hiccups along the way and it didn’t happen as smoothly as everyone hoped it would. 

And, if you notice, by way of following the boards business, that the board is also in the midst of developing a new, more efficient application and licensing system.  Why you ask, is that important to you now?  Because all of the changes described above are being done with a computer system that was literally developed over 20 years ago. ALL the new changes are 100% due to board employees manually changing how they operate because the 20 year old system is not built to make these changes.

Nothing makes the board employees happier than to be able to make a difference.  In however minor way they can. 

Just saying...if you’re still not happy with what the board employees are doing, the board meetings are held online and noticed on the board’s web site. Feel free to call in and voice your concerns during public comment.  I can tell you for a fact that the actual Board wants to hear it. Simply making off-handed unflattering comments simply because you’re anxious to find out your results and you’re willing to bad mouth people for which you have no idea the effort they put in, is simply not becoming of a professional engineer. 

I truly hope you all have a nice relaxing weekend and you receive positive results next week. 

Here’s the situation folks.  No one recognizes the sacrifice necessary to prepare; the anxiety associated with taking the exam and waiting for results; and the extreme emotions upon learning that your effort has paid off or not more than people at the board.  Most of the people you’re talking about, sometimes in unflattering ways, have literally been through 10-15 YEARS of exams at minimum. Most of you, thankfully, only need to be in this situation for a very short while, relatively speaking, in comparison.
I won’t quote the whole thing for sake of space, but this is more or less what everyone wants as far as transparency. I am aware of what the process used to be before we had the benefit of taking the CA specific exams on a CBT on a quarterly basis. Allowing people the opportunity to take it 4 times a year and get results within a few weeks is great. Just saying what’s actually going on, they are developing a new more efficient process, is a very simple thing to do in my opinion. 

I don’t consider criticizing to be the same as insulting. As a public servant that happens, communication is key. If you’re a permit tech and you just never issue a contractors permit then only say “sorry it’ll be delayed a week” I’m sure they similarly wouldn’t be very happy. Apologies if you took offense but this whole idea that everyone should be just be happy with what we have is a mindset I do not agree with. We all put in the work, paid the fees, etc. If speaking your mind in a non hostile way is unbecoming of a PE then I guess it is what it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I took the survey test today, does it mean it will come out in a Sep release? Or is it going to come out in the immediate next release, hopefully later this month?
Get out of here this is for people that took the tests in July! Just kidding...hopefully they fix whatever issue they’re having with getting the July results out on time. I’m sure an “August 2020 Results” thread will pop up here soon. Go back to the 3rdish page of this thread and people have let track of when results have been released historically. Probably looking at M-Th of the second week of September between the hours of 10AM-4PM

Just pretend that today is 8/8. The result typically comes out on the second week.  We still have one week to go.   Let's be professional

Let’s be patient and keep faith that BPELSG has a very good reason for delaying the results rather than just jumping to “inefficient Government bureaucracy”. 
Completely agree.

Of course reasoned critiques are fair game, but it's unfair to accuse the board of being  so "inept" that they can't generate an email for a week, or of purposefully delaying test results.  It's beneath us as engineers to lob such baseless attacks.    This board administers licensure for the biggest State in the US, and the world's fifth largest economy.    Needless to say, that is a monumental task.    I assure you that it's far better for your job security and your salary that the board be highly regulated and protective.  It's OK to be disappointed, frustrated, and wanting of a quicker response.  But let's be reasonable.

Just saying, so July was opened for test for everyone waiting for at least 3 months which also means that we had more time to study, and maybe the passing candidates are increasing, all I'm hoping is that they don't increase the cut off score.

As far as I can tell, this doesn't actually mean anything. We already knew the results were late (this just appears to be an acknowledgement from the board of that fact), it just says the results will be out before the end of this week, which is not really new information. 

I called the other day and they said maybe  either Friday or Monday 
I am still optimistic that the results will be out today, as Monday fits the requirement "by Friday".  I would also like to believe that no one is lying here.

Deep breath everyone, at least we were given a deadline this time instead of just a trend :p

Definitely getting deja vu of continually moving deadlines for the exam though...

Just saying, so July was opened for test for everyone waiting for at least 3 months which also means that we had more time to study, and maybe the passing candidates are increasing, all I'm hoping is that they don't increase the cut off score.
I actually believe that the scores are probably lower. We didn't have three extra months to study, that would have been the case if we were given a solid delayed date from the beginning, but we were jerked around and rescheduled several times and being demotivated for three months. On top of that, people are depressed and stressed, and don't forget that wearing a mask during the exam is an extra distraction that others before did not have. For all these reasons I would not be surprised if the cut off score was lower.

Just saying...if you’re still not happy with what the board employees are doing, the board meetings are held online and noticed on the board’s web site. Feel free to call in and voice your concerns during public comment.  I can tell you for a fact that the actual Board wants to hear it. Simply making off-handed unflattering comments simply because you’re anxious to find out your results and you’re willing to bad mouth people for which you have no idea the effort they put in, is simply not becoming of a professional engineer. 
How do we go about commenting at their meetings? I would love the opportunity to provide constructive feedback to the board. I've had an absolutely horrendous experience with them thus far.

I actually believe that the scores are probably lower. We didn't have three extra months to study, that would have been the case if we were given a solid delayed date from the beginning, but we were jerked around and rescheduled several times and being demotivated for three months. On top of that, people are depressed and stressed, and don't forget that wearing a mask during the exam is an extra distraction that others before did not have. For all these reasons I would not be surprised if the cut off score was lower.
Hopefully we all pass, and none of us have to guess at the cutoff score

😎

P.S. I set up a gmail filter so that whenever I get an email from the board, it will forward as a text to my cell. No longer do I need to obsessively refresh my emails! Ya'll should do the same. I feel way less stressed out now.

😎

P.S. I set up a gmail filter so that whenever I get an email from the board, it will forward as a text to my cell. No longer do I need to obsessively refresh my emails! Ya'll should do the same. I feel way less stressed out now.
Who does the results email come from?

😎

But where is the excitement in that, it's almost like you want to be productive??

My survey results came from [email protected]

Indeed!
When I took seismic in Feb and results came on March 12th, this what came in the To Line "BPELSG_Exam_Info, BPELS@DCA". The actual email address was aliased, so you may see that too.

What makes me so mad is why I am mad at myself for being surprised- from MY experience, almost every step of the entire process was a hassle with the Board. The employees are nice but the organization could use some lessons in treating their stakeholders just a little better by streamlining their processes and making their communications (website) more transparent and timely. (Last week, I had posted something similar, then deleted it). Not sure why i would need to go to their Board meetings to give this bit of feedback (and can provide specific concrete examples) but I will- after I pass, when ever I pass.

Latest posts

Back