Is $200 raise for software developer good?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingofjong

Reaction score
Hello

I am fairly new software developer and I work in entry level position. I was wondering is $200 annual raise good. Does this mean my boss likes my work.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome to EB!

There's not enough information in this post to be able to give you a good answer. Are you in the US? If so, where? How long have you been in your current position? What is your current salary?

I have been in my current position for 3 years. I got $200 raise in the position before. I make around $70000 to $100000 yearly. I am in the US.

Hi,

$200 is a < 1% raise for $70,000 salary annually. That's a pretty low raise even for a cost of living boost.

In reality though, there's still not enough information to give you a truly objective answer. One should also consider the benefits you receive at your position (sick leave, vacation time, bonuses, holidays, insurance, retirement, etc. - this adds to your total compensation), what type of position you are in (government vs privately-owned - your employer might be restricted in how much they are able to raise your salary), what your raise reflects, and whether or not your salary meets your needs.

The best thing for you to do to get an answer to your question is to sit down with your boss and ask them what the raise reflects. It might also be useful for you to "shop around" and see what other salaries for similar positions are like in your area. If you feel like you are not getting paid what you are worth, you might be able to use this as a negotiation tactic.

If you are curious about what others are making on this forum, there is a thread dedicated to just that: 2022 EB Salary Survey

Last edited:
Hello

I get full benefits good health insurance, HSA, and 401k. I also recieved a $7000 to $10000 bonus every year. I have been at this company for 3 years.

Thank you

I thought this forum is purely for the poor civil engineers. I am glad to see someone from the highest-paid job to visit us. From what I heard, usually software developer's starting salary is $150,000 plus. You may want to change jobs.

like you don't have enough information for us to react well to this question. The increase depends on the current salary. Also, it depends on where you work whether as a freelancer or as an employed person and whether in the USA or outside the USA.

It maybe good or not, it depends of work quality, but if you are newbie in this field then you should visit educatoroid.

Back