Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't really need to go past Key Largo (5 hours) / Islamorada for good diving / fishing..... Not really much to see in actual Key West to be honest. but its cool to go there once...

we would all appreciate it if you get a really big house close to the beach with maybe a guest house with a large garage, and a stripper pole, and a loaded beer fridge for when we come visit?
Since we're making requests...
FYP, since we're specifying design requirements.

Ok so the interview for the ENG 4 position with IDOT is tomorrow morning, but for some crazy reason I'm not nervous? I don't know if its because the chances are slim to none or what.

No suit and heels though. Nice dress and sweater with flats is all this lady is breaking out.

Ok so the interview for the ENG 4 position with IDOT is tomorrow morning, but for some crazy reason I'm not nervous? I don't know if its because the chances are slim to none or what.

No suit and heels though. Nice dress and sweater with flats is all this lady is breaking out.
The best way to interview is in your current position. You don't *need* the job because you already have a decent one. Having the "sure, why not?" mentality goes a long way towards calming the nerves.

the interview went ok, good experience for future endeavors i think. They are looking for a replacement for the 3rd person of a 3 member unit for the ENTIRE F state of IL. Even as a promotion of sorts I am not looking to take on the workload for a third of the state.

the boss man stopped by and said to delete the time off request i put in for the interview. Awesomeness.

^That's great snick. It seems that you're not too interested in the job, but it looks like it was a good experience for you.

It seems that I forgot to update this thread. I found out a week or two ago that the company in FL decided to offer someone else who had previous experience with the company. I think I may have knocked myself out of contention when I was pretty direct about the fact that I don't typically work overtime and it's not something I would want to do on a regular basis. I think they led me on a bit about how much overtime they have actually been working and I believe that I would have been expected to work 55+ hours a week had I taken the job. That wouldn't fly with me.

^better to be upfront about that sort of thing, especially with a move involved. I wouldn't want to work that many hrs either.

I turned down the chance to interview with Cintra in Charlotte this week.. I don't want to be house pour much longer but I also don't want to move unless I have to... the recruiter lady said "I am glad your being honest with me, but do you understand this job's base salary is $135,000 + bonus??

it took me a while to clear my throat and say yes.... I did end by saying let me know if you ever move to Colorado..

^That number is big, but I don't think I could move again after all that you went through just a couple of years ago. Now I just need to see if I can re-write my resume to look like a fit for that job...

I told the lady if she had called me 6 months ago I wouldn't have even asked for a relocation package...

Im just hoping the gamble pays off and I can get close to that # here in a few years..(not likely though)

you ever check the structural jobs here in CO? I always see folks looking for your people..

^I've not really been looking for a new job per se, I've just pursued a couple that I found interesting when the recruiter contacted me. Right now things are pretty good at work as far as backlog goes and they pay me pretty damn good, so it would take something really good to have me consider moving. My salary requirement for the job in FL was basically at the top of the range that they were looking to pay, so that could have had something to do with me not getting an offer as well. You could live very well in CLT making 135k, that's for sure.

understood- Yeah that kind of money even in Atlanta you could live very comfortably... I could "get by" here with that ;) lol

I interviewed for a Sr. Management position in a different company yesterday. They want me back to interview with the direct reports, and then finally with executive management. I have a really good shot at getting this job. The pay jump will be nice, and the bonus is nearly twice as much 25%. The big thing will be reporting to an actual engineer, normal business hours, and a much shorter drive to work.

Back